IGNORED

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,670
  • Content Per Day:  12.22
  • Days Won:  31

17 minutes ago, CHC said:

It's going well thanks you. I had one cigarette the other day (just smoked a couple of puffs) it was after seeing someone say you don't have to keep striving towards fixing everything at once and it was just to say 'I can have one if I want (and I wasn't fussed). As someone who is an all or nothing person I thought it was a good experiment. 

@CHC An advantage of becoming a vaper is that you can cut down gradually the amount of nicotine at your own pace.

But then if you are already successfully cutting down on cigarettes, then becoming a vaper might not even be necessary.

(This is more of a practical aspect rather than a 'taboo' aspect.)

Guest CHC
11 minutes ago, farouk said:

@CHC An advantage of becoming a vaper is that you can cut down gradually the amount of nicotine at your own pace.

But then if you are already successfully cutting down on cigarettes, then becoming a vaper might not even be necessary.

(This is more of a practical aspect rather than a 'taboo' aspect.)

I use nicotine mini mints (low dose). They dissolve really slowly so it helps with not replacing the habit with eating. Will wean them down and replace with sugar free mints slowly over time. 

3 minutes ago, CHC said:

I use nicotine mini mints (low dose). They dissolve really slowly so it helps with not replacing the habit with eating. Will wean them down and replace with sugar free mints slowly over time. 

@CHC Sounds like you are achieving much the same thing using a different method. Seems also like you are preferring to do it gently and gradually rather than getting caught up in a highly charged 'taboo culture' about smoking.

It can be helpful to remember also that until the mid-19th century in some parts of North America it was quite widespread after church services for women to smoke; in those days, if a Godly woman happened to engage in a little social smoking, a 'taboo culture' did not seem to prevail. Just imagine all those long, floppy dresses and bonnets... (I'm not encouraging smoking; just looking at it historically.)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  10,340
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

The most effective means by which to stop smoking depends entirely upon the individual. The only way to discover what works best is to try, yes? 

I'll share my experience as an illustration of the above. When I stopped smoking, I did it in a way which worked best for me. First, I disposed of everything associated with smoking: lighters, packs, and ashtrays. Out they went into a dumpster on the street (not a trash can). Why a dumpster? This removed the temptation to fish those things out of the trash can. 

Second, I commenced to suffer withdrawals knowing that there's no "shortcut" around that process. I opted not to use nicotine surrogates (they only delay the inevitable). It took approximately 72 hours for nicotine withdrawals to go away. During that time, I would find myself crying for no apparent reason... I was hit with oodles of surplus energy... and my appetite was amplified tenfold. I was constantly hungry. 

Ah, but nicotine withdrawals were nothing compared to the psychological aspects associated with smoking. The latter is what I urge those who stop smoking to be wary of. Notice how I avoid using the term "quit?" We never quit smoking, my friends. We STOP smoking, and that is what we must walk in and maintain for the remainder of our time on this earth. Beware, because it's all too easy to find yourself smoking again. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  10,340
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

I hope you don't mind if I offer some general advice to those who wish to stop smoking, @farouk

First, smoking is not a habit. Smoking is a complex of habits which reinforce one another. Understanding this goes a long way toward developing successful strategies to change these habits. That's what smoking cessation is all about: changing those habits. 

For myself, I engaged in smoking whenever I meditated upon/considered a matter in depth. By leaving wherever I happened to be to go outside (I never smoked indoors), this was the first step in a series of habits that I found pleasant. That was how I started smoking in the first place.

It's also important to share that the Lord never once scolded me for smoking; rather, He encouraged me to stop, declaring that not only was this possible for me to overcome, but that I would be shocked at how everything would change after I was liberated from smoking. One day, I asked the Lord to help me overcome smoking, and that's when the Spirit instructed me regarding the nature of these habits. Yes, habits... there was more than one. 

The Lord counseled me to commence the moment that my last cigarette was gone; when this happened, I was to dispose of everything associated with smoking in the dumpster along the street. Having done this, the Lord reminded me of my strength --- the capacity to stoically endure hardship --- and instructed me to stand fast and allow nicotine withdrawals to run their course. As I shared above, those lasted three days. 

I needed to establish new and constructive habits to replace those associated with smoking. That was the most challenging aspect of overcoming smoking to be sure, but I arrived at several that admirably filled the void:

Walking at a very brisk pace... jogging up and down stairwells... rearranging everything in my apartment and/or office at work... cracking jokes with my neighbors or coworkers... and meditating/considering matters without smoking. It took time and practice for these habits to supplant the ones associated with smoking. 

That was the most critical aspect of overcoming smoking, my friends. Those habits were the key to lasting success. I also discovered the truth of the Lord's promise regarding how everything seemed to change after I stopped smoking. My sense of smell and taste improved drastically... I had more energy during the day... and I woke up in the mornings feeling refreshed. It was astonishing! 

Thanks, @Marathoner ..................

( cc @CHC Did you see that @Marathoner made some very interesting comments, above? )

Guest CHC
36 minutes ago, farouk said:

Thanks, @Marathoner ..................

( cc @CHC Did you see that @Marathoner made some very interesting comments, above? )

Thank you, yes. I have stopped for very long times in the past. I have a lot of addictions to overcome (online living being one of the worst so I ought not be here talking to you right now) but there are a lot of issues I need to look at. I'm trying to look at them in a healthy way, leaning on God for guidance and asking Him to help give me strength to face all that needs facing. I'm hoping the therapy will help too. 

15 minutes ago, CHC said:

Thank you, yes. I have stopped for very long times in the past. I have a lot of addictions to overcome (online living being one of the worst so I ought not be here talking to you right now) but there are a lot of issues I need to look at. I'm trying to look at them in a healthy way, leaning on God for guidance and asking Him to help give me strength to face all that needs facing. I'm hoping the therapy will help too. 

@CHC When I started the thread, I thought indeed it might attract comment and interest............

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,272
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

I was addicted to nicotine for 51 yrs. (I) could never quit.
But I haven't smoked for 10 yrs now. I was delivered.
The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
This man prayed over me, to our deliverer. I was delivered.
I Give all the glory to God.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Scarletprayers FYI.............thread started................