farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

Hi @Slibhin Any comment from an Irish perspective?

@Mary8 Any wisdom for this topic?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

I got tired of losing earrings, so I pierced my ears myself as a teen.  It was not easy, and took a while.   After many decades, I would recommend not piercing too low on the ear lobe.    

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mary8 said:

I got tired of losing earrings, so I pierced my ears myself as a teen.  It was not easy, and took a while.   After many decades, I would recommend not piercing too low on the ear lobe.    

@Mary8

Thanks. Yes, as an all round consideration it's sensible to put the holes in. As @Willa rightly said a while ago, "Some of us lived in the day when they clamped gold onto our ears with inhumane painful vice grips, and it was more merciful to get the pain done with once and for all...Got over the guy's studs & rings making me uncomfortable 10 years ago."

And yes yours is an added reason: the clip ons keep getting lost, so piercing holes to keep in suitably designed earrings makes a lot of sense, right?

Also, you're right; not to put the holes in too low on the earlobe even if a lot of ppl will eventually go for a 2nd pair of holes slightly further up (a lot of granddaughters will do this, right? and grandsons, etc., may meanwhile be having single holes done).

Thanks. :)

Edited by farouk
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Mary8 Thanks for the 'like'; and I guess it's likely that you've got granddaughters (and maybe even grandsons) that have already gotten into the (single or more) ear piercing phase, maybe?

FYI @AFlameOfFire Any wisdom here?

FYI @Anne2 So any wisdom here?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49

19 minutes ago, farouk said:

FYI @Anne2 So any wisdom here?

I had mine pierced in 5th grade. I don't remember how that got started.

I just remember my mom and older sisters ceciding to do it. So I did too!

Did it at home. Used a clothes pin and potato and a needle.

My daughter got her nose pierced after she was older. I did not like nose piercings, or the tongue. Probably a generational thing. I am getting used to it more now.

I do like multiple piercing up the ear. That looks nice I think.

Edited by Anne2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

I had mine pierced in 5th grade. I don't remember how that got started.

I just remember my mom and older sisters ceciding to do it. So I did too!

Did it at home. Used a clothes pin and potato and a needle.

My daughter got her nose pierced after she was older. I did not like nose piercings, or the tongue. Probably a generational thing. I am getting used to it more now.

@Anne2 Yes, I can understand ppl - like your mother and sisters and you did also - wholeheartedly going for the ear piercing.

Nose and tongue piercing that you mentioned; well, yes, maybe generational considerations have something to do with it. I guess it's all rather subjective, though; and in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gives Zion a nose ring.

Tongue piercing: @itty-bitty lamb said recently: "i actually knew someone who got their tongue pierced, for faith based reasons. They said they made a promise to God to stop speaking bad about other people - to stop gossiping. They said getting their tongue pierced helped them keep their promise to God.  ... At the time, i didn't know this had been on her heart. She just showed up one day with the pierced tongue. ... i do feel it helped her in her walk with God. She did a lot of praying over it before getting it done. She expressed to me afterwards that the physical reminder in her tongue helped her overcome the bad habits of gossiping and create new habits that were good. She kept the piercing for about four years before taking it out, saying that it was no longer needed because she wasn't struggling anymore with gossiping."

The lady who served in my local Christian bookstore had a tongue piercing. But I didn't talk with her about it.

In the case of the lady in the quote, the physical reminder in the tongue seems to be presented as a practical tool to counter speech habits she wanted to break with; and something which was done with a lot of prayerful preparation and anticipation. (Did you hear any similar story?)

Like you say, maybe generational considerations apply.

But then also what you said sounds accurate, when you said: "I am getting used to it more now."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49

2 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Anne2 Yes, I can understand ppl - like your mother and sisters and you did also - wholeheartedly going for the ear piercing.

Nose and tongue piercing that you mentioned; well, yes, maybe generational considerations have something to do with it. I guess it's all rather subjective, though; and in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gives Zion a nose ring.

Tongue piercing: @itty-bitty lamb said recently: "i actually knew someone who got their tongue pierced, for faith based reasons. They said they made a promise to God to stop speaking bad about other people - to stop gossiping. They said getting their tongue pierced helped them keep their promise to God.  ... At the time, i didn't know this had been on her heart. She just showed up one day with the pierced tongue. ... i do feel it helped her in her walk with God. She did a lot of praying over it before getting it done. She expressed to me afterwards that the physical reminder in her tongue helped her overcome the bad habits of gossiping and create new habits that were good. She kept the piercing for about four years before taking it out, saying that it was no longer needed because she wasn't struggling anymore with gossiping."

The lady who served in my local Christian bookstore had a tongue piercing. But I didn't talk with her about it.

In the case of the lady in the quote, the physical reminder in the tongue seems to be presented as a practical tool to counter speech habits she wanted to break with; and something which was done with a lot of prayerful preparation and anticipation. (Did you hear any similar story?)

Like you say, maybe generational considerations apply.

But then also what you said sounds accurate, when you said: "I am getting used to it more now."

I don't know that my daughter did it for anything other than she thought it was cool. I don't know. But it kept getting infected so she gave up on it. She doesn't have a tummy piercing I don't think????

My own ear piercing has grown back together. I am not much of jewelry person any way. I do wear a ring I like, but not much else. My sister on the other hand likes jewelry alot LOL.

• Thanks 1