IGNORED

Do you recall verses about avoiding "toxic" people?

Not of the World

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.78
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

Good thread, @Not of the World I've found my reference.

Preaching from Paul's Epistle to the Galatians: Gently Doing Good When Opportunities Arise.

Gal 6:1-10  Brothers, even if a man is caught in some fault, you who are spiritual must restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; looking to yourself so that you also aren’t tempted.  (2)  Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.  (3)  For if a man thinks himself to be something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.  (4)  But let each man examine his own work, and then he will have reason to boast in himself, and not in someone else.  (5)  For each man will bear his own burden.  (6)  But let him who is taught in the word share all good things with him who teaches.  (7)  Don’t be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.  (8)  For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.  (9)  Let’s not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we don’t give up.  (10)  So then, as we have opportunity, let’s do what is good toward all men, and especially toward those who are of the household of the faith.

Michael37.

Great stuff, especially the last verse that you highlighted.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

Off the top of my head, there are the two verses in Proverbs: [I'm paraphrasing]

• Proverbs 26:4 = Don't get into a conversation with a fool or else you might end up just like him.
  • Proverbs 26:5  = Answer a fool before he thinks he is wise in his own eyes.

Toxicity in people is a terrible thing.  I know for a FACT because I have known these people and I have BEEN that person.

There is also:

• "Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 1 Corinthians 15:33
  • "Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare."  Proverbs 22:24-25
  • "Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with a simple babbler."  Proverbs 20:19

Great stuff!  So wise!  Conversing with ungodly, hostile, "toxic" people only influenced me to be like them rather than like Christ.  Staying on the narrow path is difficult enough already; I don't need to increase my load by dealing with such people.  Although I will continue to plant seeds I will NOT engage in their folly and we all know folly when we see it.  

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

To err is human. 

I know it is a "buzz word", and the media talk a lot about work environments that are toxic, but what is our frame of reference? 

Someone is not toxic just because they have a different opinion, so it pertains to being harmful.

We're supposed to walk in humility and kindness.  In fact, we're supposed to be the most humble of all people.  We're supposed to tolerate mistreatement without respond in kind.  None of that is easy because the world teaches us the opposite of those things.  As for "toxic" people, they might actually be the most hurt of everybody.  But, we must only tolerate so much.  I recall a verse about after warning someone to then have nothing to do with them if they don't change.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,071
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

We're supposed to walk in humility and kindness.  In fact, we're supposed to be the most humble of all people.  We're supposed to tolerate mistreatement without respond in kind.  None of that is easy because the world teaches us the opposite of those things.  As for "toxic" people, they might actually be the most hurt of everybody.  But, we must only tolerate so much.  I recall a verse about after warning someone to then have nothing to do with them if they don't change.

Yes, here's the verse in context:

1Co 5:9-13  I wrote to you in my letter to have no company with sexual sinners;  (10)  yet not at all meaning with the sexual sinners of this world, or with the covetous and extortionists, or with idolaters; for then you would have to leave the world.  (11)  But as it is, I wrote to you not to associate with anyone who is called a brother who is a sexual sinner, or covetous, or an idolater, or a slanderer, or a drunkard, or an extortionist. Don’t even eat with such a person.  (12)  For what do I have to do with also judging those who are outside? Don’t you judge those who are within?  (13)  But those who are outside, God judges. “Put away the wicked man from among yourselves.”

The words "disfellowship" and "excommunicate" come to mind.