• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  151
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/06/1966

Why is it that we have some Christians who persecute other Christians based upon differences in customs?

You've got fanatics who don't watch movies, TV, read books, etc, all because they claim these things are wordly. Why does this sound like they should be Amish? By what right do you have to persecute other Christians who do these, because you think you can or should? If you're concern is what you will be held accountable too, do you think that behaving in this manner is a positive or negative for you?

The only qualifying certification to bring you to Christ is that you believe and confess your sins and ask for forgiveness? Or do you have to do more to be saved? We are not saved through our works, so then why do you then feel that your works either invalidate or validate your salvation?

Why are those hated who choose to feast among the sinners? You wouldn't dare persecute Christ for this, but you persecute your brothers and sisters? Jesus went among the sinners because they needed the Word. Why then are those that do the same not Christians or wrong?

Are they faking it? To what end? Why bother? No one can fake something for so long without either giving up or believing the lie themselves. So then what's the issue?

Are they confused and you are more educated than they? Are they lacking and your duty is to enlighten them? Would you be helping them them if you convinced them to change their manner, or would you be harming them and/or others?

I think very few will understand these questions, but I'm praying.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I"m not sure I understand anyone else, I only know I"m responsible only for my walk with the Lord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I think Romans 14 pretty much covers it.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Because there have always been Christians who think faith is about fear and threats and law and not about love and compassion and grace, and I'm afraid there always will be.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

Everybody has their own comfort zone.

Some people stay away from things of the world. It's not a question of their faith being weak, they just don't like it.

I don't think people should be condemned for watching or not watching a movie.

Questioning someones level of faith is judging...I don't believe it's our place to be doing that.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Being judgmental is never very attractive in others.

But I don't feel persecuted and I certainly don't practice the same customs or traditions of many evangelicals, so I guess I am trying to figure out whom you are referring to mongo?

Do you have some specific examples?

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Everybody has their own comfort zone.

Some people stay away from things of the world. It's not a question of their faith being weak, they just don't like it.

I don't think people should be condemned for watching or not watching a movie.

Questioning someones level of faith is judging...I don't believe it's our place to be doing that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say that many of these things ARE a matter of strong or weak faith. Paul himself implies this in Rom. 14:2. However, it is true that it is not our place to decide whose faith is at what level, or to look down on people whose faith is weaker or stronger than our own. If someone admits, though, that their faith is weak, or whatever, we have every right to acknowledge that, and to act accordingly by seeing that we don't put a stumbling block in front of them. For instance, if we know that someone struggles with alcoholism or that they are offended by alcohol, we should not drink in front of them, whatever we may believe about it. Here's Paul's example:

"Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. " - Rom. 14:13-15

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  108

Ah, yes, the judging, and the labeling. Works in either or any camp one chooses to dwell.

All anyone has to do is pick a label, and apply to any of the brethren who's simply stated opinion does not line up with theirs:

Fanatic,

Gnostic,

Pharisee,

Fill in the blank ____ with any label of ones choosing. Works insantly to sooth bruised egos, and ruffled feathers.

And if that doesn't quite do the job, toss in some sarcasm. :24:

Pride...it's really something else...

God is the judge of our walk. Praying for us all, here. :emot-pray::28:

Edited by Homeward

Oh, and there's another one.

"You don't like movies or television. Wow, you must be weak in the faith." :emot-pray:

Iryssa, you are right. If someone is an alcoholic, it would be very unloving to drink in front of them. And if someone states they are struggling with something it would be unkind for us to put a stumbling block in front of them. :emot-pray::28: