• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Ohhhh now you went and done it! You poked the bear of tradition...

Tradition!

Tradition! - yelled pensive Tevya... when his family was falling apart...

I was as happy go luck about Christmas and the holidays as the next guy most of my life until I found out Christmas and Easter (to name tw0) are based on Roman Catholic tradition and nothing more. Nothing of substance.

How about moving the observance of the birth of Christ to when it most likely occurred in September / October (Feast of Tabernacles)? 

You want to see the bee hive that sort of talking stirred up, look into the threads on the subject.

Your suggestion makes too much sense for human beings to abide it.

Look around at the world we live in. It makes no sense.

Well, I 100% agree with you.  I am sorry if I stepped on anyone's sacred cow or even its utter. That must really hurt.  But yeah, I was going to mention September or October.  However, it still occurred to me that if people were as crazy even then, do you think that illness would decrease or remain the same?  I seem to think when celebrations are held closer to summer (e.g. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and the like)  I don't see the number of illnesses mainly because some of that is held outdoors.  Buy maybe if people were just as frantic and otherwise crazy as in the winter, then maybe that theory would not hold up if they are all stressed out.  IN the summer we tend to gather around the grill with a few beers (unlike in December) so that releases tension.  I am not sure.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,657
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

4 hours ago, tim_from_pa said:

Well, I 100% agree with you.  I am sorry if I stepped on anyone's sacred cow or even its utter. That must really hurt.  But yeah, I was going to mention September or October.  However, it still occurred to me that if people were as crazy even then, do you think that illness would decrease or remain the same?  I seem to think when celebrations are held closer to summer (e.g. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and the like)  I don't see the number of illnesses mainly because some of that is held outdoors.  Buy maybe if people were just as frantic and otherwise crazy as in the winter, then maybe that theory would not hold up if they are all stressed out.  IN the summer we tend to gather around the grill with a few beers (unlike in December) so that releases tension.  I am not sure.

Getting to the gist of your OP, now that I see the focus... I was told by an MD once that the weather has little to do with illness if you dressed responsibly etc.

It's more about close proximity of people in colder / damper months. That and coming from different regions etc. bringing what we were already exposed to

or having gotten over. This is why frequent fliers tended to get sick so much until Airborne and Esther C and Emergen C were invented to help ease the spread

of germs and bacteria and viruses.