Lighthearted Question: about Christmas

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

AS I always joke, whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas comes, somebody in the family is sick:  either throwing up, sniffling, hacking, coughing, the flu or whatever.  Here's my question:  If we could do it, does anyone here think that changing the time we celebrate these things (e.g. nearer to summer) would result in less illness OR... is it perhaps because of the stress that we have people get those illnesses and they'd be sick regardless?  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,368
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

51 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

AS I always joke, whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas comes, somebody in the family is sick:  either throwing up, sniffling, hacking, coughing, the flu or whatever.  Here's my question:  If we could do it, does anyone here think that changing the time we celebrate these things (e.g. nearer to summer) would result in less illness OR... is it perhaps because of the stress that we have people get those illnesses and they'd be sick regardless?  

Hello tim_from_pa, how are you all? I think we all have had our ways in celebrating, till we all come unto the fullness of Christ, there is a time for everything, especially for health for judgments.

What do you all say?

Love, Walter

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

58 minutes ago, Walter and Deborah said:

Hello tim_from_pa, how are you all? I think we all have had our ways in celebrating, till we all come unto the fullness of Christ, there is a time for everything, especially for health for judgments.

What do you all say?

Love, Walter

Well, Walter and Deborah:  I think you know my persuasions. Christmas to me is a secular holiday, likened unto the 4th of July.  but that said, I take advantage of the fact that people are off from work then (as is the case in the summer) so I can visit my family.  Right now there's flu that's preventing that; it's not me as I don't really get sick that often.  I said to my son that the day does not mean anything and our gathering is not called off, but we can get together later: it matters not.

But that all said, I really wonder if the problem is stress (as "experts" point out) or if it's simply because the seasons changed and people get sick as soon as the summer ends?  I get a bit indignant when they talk about stress; does that not mean people are under bondage and let the stress of the times dictate their health? That does not happen to me (and we can both relate as to why) I don't know for sure.

Blessings to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  2,243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,368
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

55 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

Well, Walter and Deborah:  I think you know my persuasions. Christmas to me is a secular holiday, likened unto the 4th of July.  but that said, I take advantage of the fact that people are off from work then (as is the case in the summer) so I can visit my family.  Right now there's flu that's preventing that; it's not me as I don't really get sick that often.  I said to my son that the day does not mean anything and our gathering is not called off, but we can get together later: it matters not.

But that all said, I really wonder if the problem is stress (as "experts" point out) or if it's simply because the seasons changed and people get sick as soon as the summer ends?  I get a bit indignant when they talk about stress; does that not mean people are under bondage and let the stress of the times dictate their health? That does not happen to me (and we can both relate as to why) I don't know for sure.

Blessings to you.

Well Tim, As I can relate to what you are saying, enjoy yourself.

Love, Walter 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, tim_from_pa said:

So make Australians sick?

This is the time of year flus and colds show up combined with groups of folks all together. I don't know that changing it would make a difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

7 hours ago, tim_from_pa said:

I had a professor when I was in uni that said something related to this. Gotta love freshman science courses.

"Everyone goes home for the holidays, picks up various bugs in their travels, shares them with family and friends, then returns and thus turns the campus into a huge post-holiday petri dish. Everyone gets to share in what everyone caught along the way."

Experience shows he was right. The holiday travel season must be a real blast if you're a virus. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,956
  • Content Per Day:  5.47
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  01/25/1961

When I was a wee one, I was always upchucking around Thanksgiving...🌋

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,139
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

13 hours ago, ayin jade said:

So make Australians sick?

This is the time of year flus and colds show up combined with groups of folks all together. I don't know that changing it would make a difference.

how about we make it in mid to late September when Jesus's birthday was and then it would be spring/fall and we could spend more time outside and not cooped up with each others sick causing stuff.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Clusters:

Stores, malls, sports stadiums, churches, parks, buses, trains, airplanes, carnivals, restaurants---miriad commonly touched surfaces.

Every day of every years in every place.

Perspective?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 12/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, tim_from_pa said:

Ohhhh now you went and done it! You poked the bear of tradition...

Tradition!

Tradition! - yelled pensive Tevya... when his family was falling apart...

I was as happy go luck about Christmas and the holidays as the next guy most of my life until I found out Christmas and Easter (to name tw0) are based on Roman Catholic tradition and nothing more. Nothing of substance.

How about moving the observance of the birth of Christ to when it most likely occurred in September / October (Feast of Tabernacles)? 

You want to see the bee hive that sort of talking stirred up, look into the threads on the subject.

Your suggestion makes too much sense for human beings to abide it.

Look around at the world we live in. It makes no sense.