what is a torrent file?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

A file you use with a torrent program like Deluge, Transmission or uTorrent to download a larger file via torrenting.  Torrenting is a peer-to-peer file sharing method where you get (and share) pieces of the file from many other users.  Depends on there being other people "seeding" the file at the moment, and can take longer than downloading a file in one huge chunk but does have advantages.  Such as being able to pause and resume downloads when you want, and the torrent program should have a speed setting that lets you set how much of your internet it's using.

Though just like downloading, be careful when torrenting, bad actors can use them to spread malware as well.  Importing a good block list into the torrent program can help with that.

Edited by Pop
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,388
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

The torrent file itself just tells the download program where to go looking for the file (e.g. who is currently online and sharing pieces of the file). But you need the download program installed to actually download the desired file.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:36 PM, Daniel Marsh said:

what is a torrent file?

Torrent files sometimes dangerous.  Make sure your firewall, antivirus and anti-malware are up-to-date, and that you're on a private new window. Anonymizers are good. Depending who or what you're likely looking for, you'll may find yourself on the Dark Web. This is not a safe place for moral Christians. It's been a number of years since I used a torrent file and you can't always trust that your downloads are legal. I stay away from them for this reason, but that's me.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,092
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

I decided to avoid the use of torrants based on your post brother.  Also, someone pointed out copyright problems.   I don't feel like starting a prision ministry at this time. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

I decided to avoid the use of torrants based on your post brother.  Also, someone pointed out copyright problems.   I don't feel like starting a prision ministry at this time. 

I am familiar with torrents and the dark web for trying to get a file no longer available from the manufacturer but given the permission to use from the manufacturer for home use only. There was no way I could justify $4000, for learning a CAD software program for home. The manufacturer even sent me a dongle and told me how to edit one file so I could become proficient with it. The only restriction was that I couldn't use it to make money with my own business. That was fine with me. There was five of us who wanted to do the same thing. When the CAD software company was sold to another company, communication with the new company said that our prior arrangement with the previous company was fine and would be honored.

The guys I worked with were concerned that this arrangement would not be honored in the long-term. They found a  "crack" available on the "dark web". I was curious as to what the dark web was. To put it mildly, it is a place where: files are illegally downloaded; sexual explicit pictures and videos; communication sites for eliciting criminal activities; and anything else you can imagine. Viruses, malware, and software to penetrate your firewall are everywhere. I sorry I ever went there but curiosity got the best of me. The risk is great and there's no reward.

You are wise to stay away from torrents and the dark web.