• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.91
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Proverbs 28:7 Whoever keeps instruction is a discerning son...

First instance:

Genesis 41:

33 Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt. 

34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, to collect one-fifth of the produce 

of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years. 

35 And let them gather all the food of those good years that are coming, and store up grain under

the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities. 

36 Then that food shall be as a reserve for the land for the seven years of famine which shall be

in the land of Egypt, that the land may not perish during the famine.

37 So the advice was good in the eyes of Pharaoh and in the eyes of all his servants. 

38 And Pharaoh said to his servants, Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?

39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning

and wise as you. 

40 You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word;

only in regard to the throne will I be greater than you.

Clearly, Joseph was a special case, and yet the point of the instruction is that men who keep 

Torah will grow in the wisdom, knowledge and understanding to judge the people.

Deuteronomy 1:

13 Choose wise, understanding, and knowledgeable men from among your tribes, and I will

make them heads over you.

14 And you answered me and said, The thing which you have told us to do is good. 

15 So I took the heads of your tribes, wise and knowledgeable men, and made them heads over you,

leaders of thousands, leaders of hundreds, leaders of fifties, leaders of tens, and officers for your tribes.

16 Then I commanded your judges at that time, saying, Hear the cases between your brethren,

and judge righteously between a man and his brother or the stranger who is with him. 

17 You shall not show partiality in judgment; you shall hear the small as well as the great;

you shall not be afraid in any man’s presence, for the judgment is God’s.

The case that is too hard for you, bring to me, and I will hear it.

The Torah would have exalted Israel over every nation

Deuteronomy 4:

5 Surely I have taught you statutes and judgments, just as the Lord my God commanded me,

that you should act according to them in the land which you go to possess. 

6 Therefore be careful to observe them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of

the people who will hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

7 For what great nation is there that has God so near to it, as the Lord our God is to us,

for whatever reason we may call upon Him? 

8 And what great nation is there that has such statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law

which I set before you this day? 

9 Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen,

and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life.

And teach them to your children and your grandchildren, 

10 especially concerning the day you stood before the Lord your God in Horeb, when the Lord said to me,

Gather the people to Me, and I will let them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days

they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.

Solomon: A Wise and Discerning King

1 Chronicles 28:

8 Now therefore, in the sight of all Israel, the assembly of the Lord, and in the hearing of our God,

be careful to seek out all the commandments of the Lord your God, that you may possess this good land,

and leave it as an inheritance for your children after you forever.

9 As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with

a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. 

If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever. 

The Lord grants Solomon's request, and blesses him.

1 Kings 3:

7 Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David,

but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. 

8 And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, 

too numerous to be numbered or counted. 

9 Therefore give to Your servant a hearing heart to judge Your people, that I may discern

between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?

10 The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 

11 Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself,

nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself

understanding to discern justice, 

12 behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart,

so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. 

13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be

anyone like you among the kings all your days. 

14 So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked,

then I will lengthen your days.

The Lord opens the hearts of the returning captivity to understand His Law

Nehemiah 8:

1 Now all the people gathered together as one man in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate;

and they told Ezra the scribe to bring the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded Israel. 

2 So Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly of men and women and all who could hear

with understanding on the first day of the seventh month. 

3 Then he read from it in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate from morning until midday,

before the men and women and those who could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive 

to the Book of the Law.

4 So Ezra the scribe stood on a platform of wood which they had made for the purpose; and beside him,

at his right hand, stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Urijah, Hilkiah, and Maaseiah; and at his left hand

Pedaiah, Mishael, Malchijah, Hashum, Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam. 

5 And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people, for he was standing above all the people;

and when he opened it, all the people stood up. 

6 And Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God. Then all the people answered, “Amen, Amen!” while lifting up

their hands. And they bowed their heads and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground.

7 Also Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad,

Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, helped the people to understand the Law; and the people stood in their place. 

8 So they read distinctly from the book, in the Law of God; and they gave the sense, and helped them 

to understand the reading.

9 And Nehemiah, who was the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people

said to all the people, This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn nor weep.

For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law.

10 Then he said to them, Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom

nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.

11 So the Levites quieted all the people, saying, Be still, for the day is holy; do not be grieved.

12 And all the people went their way to eat and drink, to send portions and rejoice greatly,

because they understood the words that were declared to them.

The Curse that removes access to this wisdom, and the present dilemma.

Isaiah 6:

9 And He said, Go, and tell these people:

Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.

10 Make the heart of these people dull,
And their ears heavy,
And shut their eyes;
Lest they see with their eyes,
And hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart,
And return and be healed.