IGNORED

Bible Problem

WordSword

1 hour ago, FJK said:

Seek Truth and you will find Truth no matter which version you use.

What you find is what you seek.

True, if we don't find truth it's because we're not genuinely seeking it for the right reason ("seek and find"). Also true that the Gospel is in all modern translations; but they lack a great deal of Scripture that one can be encourage and learn from for spiritual growth.

Also, all the modern translations use the same corrupt manuscripts, thus none of them can claim being the entire Word of God, due to the multitudinous of omissions; and they reword many passages to say something different from the Traditional Bibles by using transpositions and interpolations. Only the NKJV and a few like it have all the Word of God! Most important issue (Mat 4:4).

Edited by WordSword

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  13.22
  • Days Won:  0

17 minutes ago, WordSword said:

Hi and thanks for the replies and comments! All translations have errors and are fallible, because men are not infallible. But God did not allow this to hinder His Word from being complete (plenary) within a translation.

The only two primary sources from which all translations are derived are the Majority Text; the Minority Text. The prior Text is derived from using most of existing manuscripts (5000 plus). The latter is derived from only a few oldest manuscripts recently discovered (1800's), and is why all the modern translations were not produced until now.

These older manuscripts were rejected by scribes and were never used (thus didn't ware out like most did), because they were excessively different in content and context. It's also important to note that this Minority Text is much the product of scribes that were Gnostic scholars, who did not believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus.

If you check to see if the primary Trinity passage is omitted in 1Jn 5:7, the translation  is from the Minority Text; and it will contain hundreds of omissions  and also many passages that read different from the Traditional Bibles because of interpolations and transpositions.

None of these modern translations can claim to be the Word of God due to the omissions (Mat 4:4). They mixed a lot of truth with enough error to be corrupt, but many are unaware of this because many do not read the Word much.

It's the same method as making rat poison, which consists of 90% cornmeal and 10% arsenic. Or, the boiling frog syndrome, in which if you put a frog in boiling water it will jump out. But if it's warm water he'll stay in; and you can gradually turn up the heat until it is boiled alive.

I worked with a man who got messed up by studying Gnostic writings and believing them as newly revealed truth.

3 minutes ago, SavedOnebyGrace said:

I worked with a man who got messed up by studying Gnostic writings and believing them as newly revealed truth.

Hi and appreciate your reply! Many professing Christianity do not read much of the Word and are easily misled, not knowing much truth. If we don't stand for the truth, we'll fall for untruth!

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, WordSword said:

Hi and appreciate your reply! Many professing Christianity do not read much of the Word and are easily misled, not knowing much truth. If we don't stand for the truth, we'll fall for untruth!

What version is MJS? Just curiosity on my part.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,879
  • Content Per Day:  12.26
  • Days Won:  31

16 hours ago, SavedOnebyGrace said:

God bless you too.

Temporarily, my wife and I are going to a KJV preferred church. It's the first bible version I read all the way through. That was over 40 years ago. Now, I read three different translations primarily: ESV; NASB (1977/1995) and NIV (1984). There are a lot of errors in the KJV/NKJV that are not corrected.

Source: KJV Errors

The type of bible is important too. I have a fondness for The Thompson Chain Reference (NIV &  NASB) and The Hebrew-Greek Key Study Bible (NASB), and The NIV Study Bible. I prefer reading the bible with one or more conservative commentaries handy, whatever translation I'm reading.

@SavedOnebyGrace I have derived benefit from the copious Thompson Chain Reference system. Now that my eyes are not as good as they were, I do find the print in the Thompson Chain Reference somewhat small and uncomfortable.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, SavedOnebyGrace said:

What version is MJS? Just curiosity on my part.

Miles J Stanford wasn't a scholar, but he singlehandedly provided a vast amount of spiritual growth information by many of his personal articles and books. The other great feat he performed was gleaning all the spiritual growth information from the Plymouth Brethren writers (1700's-1800's - most advanced in spiritual growth teachings) and compiled them in books, of which I have been sharing on the internet for 15 years.

Thanks for your interest, and I want you to know that the best way to receive full advantage of these materials in from reading and understanding MJS' book, "None But The Hungry Heart." It has all of the connecting teachings of the Plymouth Brethren and is a daily devotional that is unlike any other spiritual growth teachings.

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, farouk said:

@SavedOnebyGrace I have derived benefit from the copious Thompson Chain Reference system. Now that my eyes are not as good as they were, I do find the print in the Thompson Chain Reference somewhat small and uncomfortable.

I know what you mean. At 73, I can still comfortably read size 8 font. But I do have a large print ESV which is a pleasure to read, ponderous to carry. My favorite compact bible is my first NASB, double column, center reference, with text in 10 point. Holman was the publisher but all the Bibles of comparable size are 6 or 8 point max. The one exception is a KJV that I use at church with a 10 point text. 

The Thompson Chain Reference Bible is a great way to study the Word. I have two translations, NIV and NASB. The Key Word (Hebrew-Greek) Study Bible (NASB) is also very good. I also have but rarely use the NET bible, the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), the Reformation Study Bible (ESV), Young's Literal Translation (YLT), and many others. And then there's the Internet.

15 hours ago, SavedOnebyGrace said:

I know what you mean. At 73, I can still comfortably read size 8 font. But I do have a large print ESV which is a pleasure to read, ponderous to carry. My favorite compact bible is my first NASB, double column, center reference, with text in 10 point. Holman was the publisher but all the Bibles of comparable size are 6 or 8 point max. The one exception is a KJV that I use at church with a 10 point text. 

The Thompson Chain Reference Bible is a great way to study the Word. I have two translations, NIV and NASB. The Key Word (Hebrew-Greek) Study Bible (NASB) is also very good. I also have but rarely use the NET bible, the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), the Reformation Study Bible (ESV), Young's Literal Translation (YLT), and many others. And then there's the Internet.

@SavedOnebyGrace Ppl do forget sometimes the matter of print size, including with hymn books, etc. (My wife seems to manage okay for now, though.)

• This is Worthy 1

On 8/5/2023 at 6:07 PM, Solus Christus said:

My point is Erasmus and Luther caught that the majority of the original texts said “repent” which fits with plethora of scriptures (even OT), and that Jerome had mistranslated it “do penance.” That stands for any language, because its the Greek New Testament that even the English Bible is bow translated from. Erasmus translation was Greek, do you not know about him? It wasn’t a German translation. Erasmus wanted to go back to original language The NT is written in and found differences in them. The Apostle Paul wrote in Greek, not Latin, Syriac, Egyptian, Coptic, and etc. The Gospels were written by the Apostled in Koine Greek, because it was the common tongue, The French, the English of the time. 

The ‘earliest manuscripts’ you speak of like The Alexandrian / Textus Receptus are Egyptian (it is even called Egyptian Text) and used by Roman Catholic Church, Coptic Church, and other erroneous denoms. There are major error via the gnostics, coptics (who arn’t Christian, I can gladly prove this from their own creeds). I stay away from Egyptian Christianities, they are very corrupt from my own experience around them. 

The Majority Text is on Byzantine or Greek Speaking texts without Egyptian or Roman Catholic interference.  

Oh really, so if all your relatives have 4999 copies of gradma’s secret sauce they say use pesto, and 1 copy says salsa verde, you would go with the one? 

The Majority or consensus is right. Hence The Council of Nicea agreed Jesus and Father are One Essence (Homeostasis), with only two bishops out of Two hundred & fifty to Three hundred disagreeing. Those two are the heretics, not the majority. 

@Solus Christus The medieval church seemed to have a vested interest in having ppl think that poenitentiam agere - the supposed Latin term for the Greek metanoia - meant do penance: which implied a continuing role for the clergy. Whereas 'repentance' is a clearer rendering of the Greek metanoia.

• Thumbs Up 1