• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Content Per Day:  2.47
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

We know from articles that the individual who declared spitting was an "ancient Jewish custom" wasn't Christian, so we can't be blamed for that. As for whether or not this is indeed an ancient Jewish custom, many of us don't know (we aren't Jewish), so we can't be blamed for that either.

Based upon the controversy that man's declaration stirred up in Israel (many have condemned it), I think it's safe to assume that spitting at Christians is not an ancient Jewish custom. That's reasonable. I can't imagine why it would be. 

However, what we do find is this: individual people, including the insular groups to which they belong, might consider such a thing to be customary among themselves. This is not unique; people can and do commit repugnant acts. They are also prone to justifying those repugnant acts. 

For example, hating all Christians because of the deeds of a few. Or, using the deeds of a few to unjustly accuse many of the same evil. 

We do know they spit on Yeshua so it was being performed at least 2000 years ago.

Mark 14

61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

63 Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

65 And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.

Edited by Shilohsfoal

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

4 hours ago, Shilohsfoal said:

We do know they spit on Yeshua so it was being performed at least 2000 years ago.

Mark 14

61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

63 Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

65 And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.

I've been spit at before. They weren't Jewish. So, what's your point? 

6 hours ago, Marathoner said:

I've been spit at before. They weren't Jewish. So, what's your point? 

My point is,the Jew who said it is an ancient Jewish custom would know their customs better than you.

It may have been his ancestors who spit on Yeshua 2000 years ago.Ive known about this custom for decades now but some of you act you you just heard of it for the first time.Orthodox jews in New York also spit on front of churches.That is when I first heard of the custom.

Edited by Shilohsfoal

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

12 hours ago, Shilohsfoal said:

My point is,the Jew who said it is an ancient Jewish custom would know their customs better than you.

It may have been his ancestors who spit on Yeshua 2000 years ago.Ive known about this custom for decades now but some of you act you you just heard of it for the first time.Orthodox jews in New York also spit on front of churches.That is when I first heard of the custom.

That's not a valid argument, my friend. Why?

Because more than one Jewish person living in Israel takes issue with that assertion. That's why it's a source of controversy in Israel. A Jewish member of this forum has weighed in and disagreed with that assertion as well. Spitting upon others was neither established nor commanded by the Law of Moses. 

Spitting is a cultural convention common to many diverse ethnic groups over time. For example, Latin cultures used spitting to signify hatred, disgust, and strong disagreement. This is also common in the Middle East and especially among the Bedouin people. 

I was spit upon by an American who isn't Jewish. It's more common than you seem to believe. 

Because more than one Jewish person living in Israel takes issue with that assertion. That's why it's a source of controversy in Israel. A Jewish member of this forum has weighed in and disagreed with that assertion as well. Spitting upon others was neither established nor commanded by the Law of Moses. 

Spitting is a cultural convention common to many diverse ethnic groups over time. For example, Latin cultures used spitting to signify hatred, disgust, and strong disagreement. This is also common in the Middle East and especially among the Bedouin people. 

I was spit upon by an American who isn't Jewish. It's more common than you seem to believe. 

Just because Moses didn't command Jews to spit on Christ doesnt mean they didn't do it and wouldn't today.

But soon they will do more than spit on christians.Soon they will imprison them and kill them as well just as they have in the past.

Christians will be persecuted throughout Israel from city to city.If the gospel offends a Jew on this board then they would be offended by Christ anywhere.

Mathew 10

16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;

18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.

19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.

22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

PS,a member of the this forum  would say no one spit on Messiah .You going to believe that as well?

Mark 14

It took place 2000 years ago and it takes place today.

Mathew 25:40

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Edited by Shilohsfoal