IGNORED

WorthyNews:Violent crime is falling nationally, but not in pro-criminal California

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.44
  • Content Count:  44,506
  • Content Per Day:  7.19
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) – While violent crime dropped nationally in 2022, California has once again proven that it is inept at providing its residents with any increase in safety or quality of life.

The recently released FBI data found that California’s violent crime rate increased by 3.8% in 2022 compared to 2021, even as the national violent crime rate dropped 1.6%. This is after California’s national crime rate jumped 8.9% from 2020 to 2021, even as the national rate decreased. While the national violent crime rate is finally below pre-pandemic levels, California’s rate is 13% higher and is going in the wrong direction.

In other words, California has no answers to slowing violent crime. In some cases, that is because state leaders are incompetent. California hasn’t been able to get a handle on gun crime despite having the toughest gun control laws in the country, mostly because those laws are targeted at law-abiding gun owners instead of the criminals actually breaking the law. [ Source (Read More…) ]

View the full article

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.53
  • Days Won:  1

I wonder what accounts for the national rate dropping 1.6%?

What is the rest of the nation doing that California isn't?

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.89

1 hour ago, FJK said:

Except for a spike through the pandemic, violent crime rates have been dropping consistently for something like 40 years, but I'd have to confirm that with some stats.

5 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Except for a spike through the pandemic, violent crime rates have been dropping consistently for something like 40 years, but I'd have to confirm that with some stats.

I wonder what is included in the violent crime rates (i.e. are things like BLM and antifa riots that contain a great deal of violence included as a whole or only as individual events that happen within them based on arrest reports involving individual victims with the majority of the violence in the event not included?)

Sometimes stats just don't give a clear real life picture of the overall situations they are derived from in an easy to understand manner.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,358
  • Content Per Day:  2.74
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, FJK said:

Well florida had a good crime fighting law I guess they still do. 10 yr first gun crime 20 yr 2nd gun crime life 3rd gun crime

3 hours ago, FJK said:

I wonder what is included in the violent crime rates (i.e. are things like BLM and antifa riots that contain a great deal of violence included as a whole or only as individual events that happen within them based on arrest reports involving individual victims with the majority of the violence in the event not included?)

Sometimes stats just don't give a clear real life picture of the overall situations they are derived from in an easy to understand manner.

This (FBI Crime Data Explorer) appears to be the linked source that the Washington Examiner opinion article is referencing. There are links to explain the data. You can also search on specific types of violent crime federally or by state.

Here is the graph for homicide for US versus California. Looking through the various violent crime options, California is lower than the US average in homicide and rape, but higher in robbery and aggravated assault, the latter showing a fairly strong up-trend.

California is generally higher in property-crime, but that is not part of the violent crime options.

Rate of Homicide Offenses by Population.png

2 minutes ago, teddyv said:

California is generally higher in property-crime, but that is not part of the violent crime options.

Yeah, I suppose so.

But I'm still made to feel unsafe from violent crime when throwing  things like molotov cocktails into multiple occupied buildings and vehicles, even though the don't kill or injure anyone, becomes commonplace.

I don't always see property crimes as being non violent.

But that's just my view of it, not the view of those keeping statistics.

2 minutes ago, FJK said:

Yeah, I suppose so.

But I'm still made to feel unsafe from violent crime when throwing  things like molotov cocktails into multiple occupied buildings and vehicles, even though the don't kill or injure anyone, becomes commonplace.

I don't always see property crimes as being non violent.

A property crime can certainly have a violent crime component to it. A person charged usually has multiple charges.

I suspect that rioting and looting are generally rare enough that they become statistical outliers to the much larger datasets for other violent and property crimes that happen daily. This is not to dismiss them, but more that they don't really move the overall trends that much.

2 minutes ago, FJK said:

But that's just my view of it, not the view of those keeping statistics.

Fair enough, but quantifying these things forces one to classify the data in some form. And our personal views and feelings of how things should be are usually out of step with reality. Media influence and focus on crime is probably one of the largest factors in shaping our view on crime.

3 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Media influence and focus on crime is probably one of the largest factors in shaping our view on crime.

As well as things like, though not violent, car insurance being 43% higher in Maryland and 231% higher than the national average because of the amount of car theft.

That sort of thing tends to make one feel unsafe even if it isn't focused on by the Media.

Wonder why it's so much worse there than elsewhere?  Gotta be a reason for it, but maybe one that can't be discussed.

4 minutes ago, FJK said:

As well as things like, though not violent, car insurance being 43% higher in Maryland and 231% higher than the national average because of the amount of car theft.

That sort of thing tends to make one feel unsafe even if it isn't focused on by the Media.

Wonder why it's so much worse there than elsewhere?  Gotta be a reason for it, but maybe one that can't be discussed.

Well actuarial tables and risk management by insurance companies is a whole other conversation. Using that FBI page, Maryland shows a trend well below US average in recent years

Rate of Motor Vehicle Theft Offenses by Population.png