• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  935
  • Topics Per Day:  0.74
  • Content Count:  936
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Days Won:  0

False Prophets; Past And Future = Jeremiah 5;31

Jeremiah 5;31

The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?

Jeremiah 6:13-15

For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely. They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? Nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 14:14-16

Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart. Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed. And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword; and they shall have none to bury them, them, their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters: for I will pour their wickedness upon them.

Matthew 7:15-17

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Matthew 24:24-25

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before.

Mark 13:22-23

For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

II Peter 2:1-2

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

I John 4:1-3

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Revelation 13:11-15

And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Revelation 16:13-14

And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Revelation 19:20

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

AMEN

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Guest AFlameOfFire

I figured I would just add these into this thread since they are along the same topic, "false prophets" or teachers

Shows in Jeremiah how he dealt with the false prophet Hananiah who was speaking contrary to the former prophets

He goes about it this way, saying

Jerm 28:8 The prophets that have been before me and before thee of old prophesied both against many countries, 
and against great kingdoms, of war, and of evil, and of pestilence

Jeremiah reaches back to the former prophets that were before himself (and before Hananiah who he is correcting) by using their words to contradict Hananiah's words (who was speaking contrary to the former prophets). In this instance it shows us the manner of his approach there.

Not that doing that will change a false prophet's mind or their course, but since he was speaking in the presence of the 
priests and gathered people it would also give those within an earshot of him  reminder by the word of God and a chance to pause, consider, and take caution.

Jerm 28:15 Then said the prophet Jeremiah unto Hananiah the prophet, Hear now, Hananiah; The LORD hath not sent thee; 
but thou makest this people to trust in a lie

After what appears to be his second correction he says,

Jerm 28:16 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will cast thee from off the face of the earth: this year thou shalt die
because thou hast taught rebellion against the LORD.

Sounds similar to the destruction the same would bring upon themselves as Peter shows 

2Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you,
who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves 
swift destruction

Jerm 28:17 So Hananiah the prophet died the same year in the seventh month.

Peter speaks of swift destruction, not sure if that would be considered swift as, as in the same place where he would also be a swift witness against sorcerers. Because in something similar to that shown in Paul was that sorcerer he confronted who was trying to turn the deputy from the faith in that instance ad there was this immediate thing that fell, as far as the hand of the Lord goes and the mist of darkness falling upon the guy who was made blind there. But one is destruction (indicating death) and the other is a judgment that appears to be immediate, but for a certain season. Not sure there.

Maybe it can be better concluded it under this one

Deut 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak
or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

And then there is this too is what I have been looking at

Ezek 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet
and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

Even as it says, 

Job 12:16 With him is strength and wisdom: the deceived and the deceiver are his.

And we are told not to be deceived, but there is said to be a coming of a working in them that receive not a love for the truth unto the which God sends a strong delusion that they should believe a lie in 2 Thes 2:11

Similarly here it seems this could be comparable, it reads

1Kings 22:20-23  And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.

And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.

And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

Similarly, concerning these which receive not a love for the truth it shows a cause for God doing this here

2Thes 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Which a couple of verses earlier speaks of that which comes after the working of Satan (the father of lies)

2Thes 2:9 [Even him], whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

But here with all power and signs and lying wonders

An example of a lying divination, is just doing what Hananiah did too, which is say "the LORD saith" when he had not spoken

Ezekiel 13:3 Have ye not seen a vain vision, and have ye not spoken a lying divination,

whereas ye say, The LORD saith it;  albeit I have not spoken?

Then he says here

Jerm 23:28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully

What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

And implies, that which speaks his word faithfully would be the wheat see also Luke 3:17 (gathered into the barn)

And here is something interesting concerning this it says here

Deut 13:3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, 
to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

How cool is that?

So the LORD your God proveth you through the same to see whether you love him

And Jesus said 

John 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings:

And adds,

and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Here it speaks of "IF there arise among" a prophet such as these

Deut 13:1 IF there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

Jesus confirms , that "there SHALL arise" the same  (along with signs and wonders)

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets SHALL rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce,

if it were possible, even the elect.

Mark 13:23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

And it continues

Deut 13:2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, 
Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

And even if the sign or wonder come to pass he tells us

Deut 13: 3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, 
to know whether ye love the LORD your
God with all your heart and with all your soul.

So false prophets to seduce (if it were possible) even the elect (Mark 13:22) even as there are false teachers (2 Peter 2:1)

And what John says concerning them which seduce you.

1 John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing  teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Psalm 40:40 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

We have the Spirit of truth which is no lie, and also a picture showing God granting the permission to a lying spirit (singular) into the mouth of these prophets (plural) for their fall. I guess it would be okay to call it a spirit of a lie versus the Spirit of truth. Which seems to agree with God similarly sending them (which receive not a love for the truth) a strong delusion that they should believe one (a lie).

Just adding a few of these I was looking at.