IGNORED

Eating Unclean Food Is an Abomination to the Lord!

Bro.Tan

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,484
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, Bro.Tan said:

There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, a devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always. He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius. And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said unto him, “Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God. And now send men to Joppa, and call for one Simon, whose surname is Peter” (Acts 10:1-5) 

The angel of the Lord could have told Cornelius all he needed to know about the Lord, but that would have broken the protocol of God. The word of God is in the hands of Israel and can only be taught by the sons of Jacob (Israel). That's why the angel sent Cornelius, which was a son of Japheth (Gentile), to Peter the Israelite. Cornelius sent two of his servant to find Peter. The Lord prepares Peter before the two servants arrived. Let's skip down to the 9th verse.

On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of four-footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, “Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.” (Acts 10: 9-14) 

Peter was on the house top and became very hungry, correct? And the Lord showed Peter all different types four footed beasts, creeping things, and fowls of the air. The Lord told Peter kill and eat, correct? But, what was Peter's responds? "Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean." This vision was shown to Peter three times. Note what the 17th verse states. 

Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate, (Acts 10:17) 

Peter knew that the vision had a deeper meaning. So, what was the Lord trying to show Peter? Let's see what Peter's vision was all about. 

And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends. And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man. And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together. (Acts 10:24-27) 

Pay very close attention to the next verse! 

And he said unto them, “Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.” (Acts 10:28)

So, was the Lord telling Peter its okay to eat things that are common or unclean? No! The verse states, "I should not call any man common or unclean." Peter now understood the purpose of the vision, which was the allowance of the Gentiles into the church of God that was set up by Moses in the wilderness. Now that we see Acts chapter ten has nothing to do with the "Dietary law".

That is an interesting response, and I do see your point.  However, God is not the God of confusion and I doubt that He would tell Peter something in a vision, using food as the symbology, that wasn't true of both the symbol and the real object (Cornelius & household) the vision was pointing to.

Based on earlier interaction, I suspect we will only go round and round on this, but one verse (of so very many, many) that comes to mind is "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes." (Rom 10:4)  In Him the law is fulfilled and is impossible apart from Him.  Therefore we must abide in His indwelling Spirit, and only by His inner impowering can the law be fulfilled through us.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

I'm with you on this and have been eating clean meats for quite some time now.  I think the issue with a lot of Christians is the idea of the "Law being done away with".  The part where Paul said we are not under the Law is the Levitical Law of sacrifice. 

Hi Tim.

Not for me anyway. The promises made to Abraham are law. 

This will not pass from the law till it be fulfilled.

Mt 8:11  And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

When we read Genesis we are reading Law21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
22  For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,575
  • Content Per Day:  12.11
  • Days Won:  31

Peter's vision in Acts did away with a lot of the dietary requirements.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,052
  • Content Per Day:  1.60

On 11/12/2023 at 3:13 PM, Bro.Tan said:

Remember brothers and sisters Jesus, states in Matthew 5 and verse 18, "For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." We still have the heavens and the earth, correct? Those things indicate that the Lord's law still remains in tact. Those that read the Bible know that all has not been fulfilled, so His laws and statutes must be kept. Those individuals try to uses Paul's writings to come to that conclusion. (As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. II Peter 3:16) The unquestionable fact is that the law of sacrifice was nailed to the cross, which was our schoolmaster to bring us onto Christ.

Now, let's take a look at the dietary law. We will begin in Leviticus the 11th chapter and start at the first verse. 

And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, “These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth. Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.” (Leviticus 11:1-3)

Note what the Lord says to Moses, "Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat." Here the Lord gives us a description of the beast that we can eat. We may not know what a particular animal is, but by using this description we know if the beast is clean or unclean. Let's take a look at the beast that we shall not eat. 

Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the hare (rabbit), because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the swine (pig, pork), though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you. (Leviticus 11:4-8) 

These are the beasts that shall not be eaten. Why? Because the Lord said so! Take a look at this verse in the book of St. John. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you (John 15:14). So, if an individual call themselves a Christian or a friend of Christ, the swine (pig) should never be on your dinner plate or anything else that the Lord deems unclean. Remember that Christ is the ONE that gave the dietary law. Remember Christ was the Rock that followed our fathers in the cloud in the wilderness (1 Corinthians 10:4). Remember, He is the Lord and He change not. Remember Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever Hebrews 13:8)! It has nothing to do with an animal being a scavenger or anything else.

It has to do with thus say the Lord. He is the one that created us, HE knows what's good or not for His creation. Let's continue; 

These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. (Leviticus 11:9) 

If the fish has fins and scales it can be eaten. And if it doesn't we can’t. 

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcasses in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you. (Leviticus 11:10-12) 

So, no shellfish. You know the lobster, the crab, crayfish, oysters, snails, shrimps, etc. Those of you that like to eat catfish, it must not be eaten. The catfish has fins but it doesn't have scales. The Lord Jesus says these creatures are an abomination onto you and they shall not be eaten. 

Let's take a look at the fowl. 

And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the osprey, And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; Every raven after his kind; And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckoo, and the hawk after his kind, And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle, And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat. All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you. (Leviticus 11:13-20)

Those of us that like to eat duck; it is an abomination. The duck is in the swan family. Let's continue; 

Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth; Even these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind. (Leviticus 11:21-22) 

Those are the insects that can be eaten. 

But all other flying creeping things, which have four feet, shall be an abomination unto you. And for these ye shall be unclean: whosoever toucheth the carcase of them shall be unclean until the even. And whosoever beareth ought of the carcase of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even. The carcases of every beast which divideth the hoof, and is not clovenfooted, nor cheweth the cud, are unclean unto you: every one that toucheth them shall be unclean. (Leviticus 11:23-26)

Note what the Lord says, "Whosoever toucheth the carcase of them shall be unclean until the even." If an individual touch the carcass or dead body of one of these beast, they will be unclean until sundown. They must wash the clothes that they were wearing and also bath themselves. Let's continue;

And whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four, those are unclean unto you: whoso toucheth their carcase shall be unclean until the even. And he that beareth the carcase of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even: they are unclean unto you. (Leviticus 11:27-28) 

Note what the verse says, "whatsoever goeth upon his paws." Individuals that eat the opossum, raccoon and the squirrel. Those beasts are unclean unto you and must not be eaten or touch if they are dead. So we see clearly what the Lord deems clean and unclean, what shall be eaten and what should not be eaten. The Lord gives a clear description of the beats just incase we are not sure what a particular animal is. 

Let, skip down to the 43rd verse, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT THE LORD TELLS MOSES! 

Ye shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creepeth, neither shall ye make yourselves unclean with them, that ye should be defiled thereby. For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. (Leviticus 11:43-45)

Note what the Lord says, "Ye shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing, that ye should be defiled thereby, ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy." If an individual observe the Lord's dietary law, they will be holy, like their God even Jesus. Those that observe this law, along with the other righteous rules of conduct put forth by the true and Living God, are truly sanctified, or set apart from the so-call Roman Christian community. 

Fortunately, I am a gentile Christian and not a Jewish man. Therefore I am not subject to the mosaic laws which were created solely for Israel and the Jewish people. Therefore I can eat meat and pork if I wish. If I needed any more confirmation of that, Paul specifically told new believers who were Jews that it was totally fine to eat whatever was set before them. He said this knowing full well that they would be eating gentile foods that included pork.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, NConly said:

I find it odd that many members will say of certain New testament verses that only pertains to Jews not Gentiles or that was only spoken to the Jews not Gentiles. And many of the same insist on bringing in Old Covenant law into New Covenant Law. Very confusing to find what is called the true Gospel.

Hi @NConly I think Hebrews 7 is relevant; the law was changed (verse 12) and what we now have is better - keyword in Hebrews - than the law (verse 19).

• Thumbs Up 1

Galatians is also relevant, indeed.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  2.75

11 hours ago, AdHoc said:

You have touched a very important theme. Does God deal the same with all men, or has He special dealing with a select company of men? Well, the answer is glaringly obvious. God made two Covenants with Israel and to the Church He forbids covenants (Matt.5:33-37). In Colossians 1:25-27we read;

25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; 26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

The word "dispensation" in verse 25 is "oikonomia" in the Greek. It does not mean a period of time. It means "household management" and has the sense of a mother in the kitchen 'dispensing' to her family what they need. It is abundantly clear from this short scripture that God "dispensed" differently to Israel and "hid" another dispensing from "ages and generations". But God had not abandoned Israel in any way. He came FIRST to Israel with the new dispensing. But they rejected it. So the gospels are about our Lod Jesus dealing with Israel and Israel rejecting what He offered. Therefore, once Israel rejected what our Lord offered, God continued with Israel under the old "dispensing".

At Sinai, via Moses, Israel received and accepted an arrangement with God based upon about 615 Laws. If they kept these Laws, blessings would follow. If they broke it, penalties would follow. The weakness of this first Law was man's flesh and Israel broke it. Since Assyria deported the northern Tribes in about 730 BC, we have seen Israel under the penalties of the Covenant. When Christ returns He will restore Israel to her Land. But the dispensation of Law carries on. This means that Israel could again lose her Land. So God gives the SAME LAW but changes the Israelite. Jeremiah 31:31-33 tells it all. The Law is the same, with the same penalties, but God changes the inside of the Israelite. He gets a new heart, and new spirit and the Laws are written INSIDE of him. That means the Israelite undergoes an intrinsic change - a change that causes him to be naturally motivated to keep the Law.

In this way, God has not changed His "dispensing" but Israel, who did not fulfill the Law last time, will now fulfill it. They then reap the rewards of keeping the Law. Added to this, God made about 15 promises to Abraham in another Covenant, and these promises are all fulfilled by God. So the New Covenant of Law is "better" than the first (Heb.7:22). This offer and destiny of Israel is very advantageous compared to the Nations. The Nations, or Gentiles, have no such relationship with God. But God does not leave them without hope. He offers them that which Israel refused - Christ dwelling IN you. That which was meant for Israel now becomes the portion of those who BELIEVE. The "dispensing" by Law is elevated to "dispensing" Christ. To list the advantages would take a book, and make this posting hopelessly long, but consider this. 

God's original plan was for man to eat from the Tree of Life. If he had obeyed, God's life would have been IN man. This is the lot of a Christian - to be returned to the original plan. That is - GOD IN YOU. Israel got the Law to make them worthy for God to be AMONG THEM. This will be fulfilled when Christ returns. "Emmanuel" (God WITH us) will live in Jerusalem and be served by Israel. But Christ remains IN the spirit of the Christian. So, God starts, and completes, to His advantage and glory, TWO "dispensings". Both very clever and very effective. The theological word is "Duality".

Lastly, it must be said that this dual dispensing never changes one fact. God deals in JUSTICE the same to all. The Christian is forgiven his sins because of Jesus, and the Jews will be forgiven based on what Jesus did as well.  In BOTH the matters of "sin" (singular) and "sins" (plural), Jesus died for those "OF THE WORLD" (Jn.1:29, 1st Jn.2.2). That does not mean that every man is forgiven. It means that the judicial foundation for God to have mercy on who He will is created.

I do not agree with much of this post.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NConly said:

I do not agree with much of this post.

Nor do I........

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47

1 hour ago, Mr. M said:

I know the Torah well brother, it is the wisdom of God. It is not a path to righteousness. I am from Louisiana, and I don't eat shrimp or crabs because they are nasty. The world has advanced knowledge and understanding concerning diet which confirms what God has always known. Preaching the Law contradicts the apostolic doctrine. The Holy Spirit is the Lord, and the Voice by which we know God. That is where every believer's heart, mind, soul, and strength should be directed. Not towards the uncleanness of eating road kill. Not in keeping a Law that was given to separate a people from heathen influence, and defile the land given them. The Presence of the Lord is in the heart, and our sanctification is actually much stricter in remaining unspotted by the world. Our Law is Charity, from a sincere heart, and a born again purified soul.

1 Peter 1:

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart,

23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever.

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

The law itself says this as well

De 6:25  And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

De 9:4  Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee.
De 9:5  Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
De 9:6  Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.

Ro 10:3  For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Guest AFlameOfFire

I had posted this on the scriptures thread but I love how these are so confirming

Leviticus 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.

Neh 9:26 And testifiedst against them, that thou mightest bring them again unto thy law: yet they dealt proudly, and hearkened not unto thy commandments, but sinned against thy judgments, (which if a man do, he shall live in them;) and withdrew the shoulder, and hardened their neck, and would not hear.

Ezekiel 20:11 And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.

Ezekiel 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury  upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Exekiel 20:21 Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do themwhich if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness.

Romans 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.