Clouds

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Several years ago a sister in Christ was studying Jesus returning in the clouds and posed some questions of who the "clouds" were.  I felt so compelled to join in the study and discussion.

Scripture says that Jesus is coming back in the clouds. Scripture also says that He is coming back with the holy angels. And scripture also says that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses.

So...

Do y'all think the clouds Jesus is returning in/with are angels alone or angels and departed saints?

The original question is regarding Jesus Christ's returning in the clouds. I believe you have to look at references of clouds thoughout the Bible to have the answer. I am not going to touch on the clouds in meteorological terms. Instead I will refer to clouds as: protection, God's glory, and God's army.

Protection

The first mention of cloud is Gen 9:12-17 the protecting of covenant with Noah and all of created flesh.

12And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. 14And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: 15And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. 17And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

Another time clouds were used as protection was when the Lord went before Moses and the children of Israel in Ex 21-22.

21And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night: 22He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.

God's Glory

God's glory, or essence, gives enlighenment and cleanses and no evil thing will be allowed in His presence.

Ex 24:16-18. 16And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. 17And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. 18And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

2Chr 5:13-14 13It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; 14So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

1Cor 10:1-3 1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

God's Army

God's army is more than the angels and saints.

Is 19:1 1The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it.

Heb 12:1-2 1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Rev 10:1-7 1And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire: 2And he had in his hand a little book open: and he set his right foot upon the sea, and his left foot on the earth, 3And cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roareth: and when he had cried, seven thunders uttered their voices. 4And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not. 5And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, 6And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: 7But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Lu 21:27-28 27And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Rev 11:11-12, 15-18 11And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. 12And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

15And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. 16And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, 17Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. 18And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

The clouds he will return in are all of these: God's protection, God's glory, God's army and JESUS CHRIST himself!

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, In the Clouds said:

Several years ago a sister in Christ was studying Jesus returning in the clouds and posed some questions of who the "clouds" were.  I felt so compelled to join in the study and discussion.

Scripture says that Jesus is coming back in the clouds. Scripture also says that He is coming back with the holy angels. And scripture also says that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses.

So...

Do y'all think the clouds Jesus is returning in/with are angels alone or angels and departed saints?

The original question is regarding Jesus Christ's returning in the clouds. I believe you have to look at references of clouds thoughout the Bible to have the answer. I am not going to touch on the clouds in meteorological terms. Instead I will refer to clouds as: protection, God's glory, and God's army.

Protection

The first mention of cloud is Gen 9:12-17 the protecting of covenant with Noah and all of created flesh.

12And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. 14And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: 15And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. 17And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

Another time clouds were used as protection was when the Lord went before Moses and the children of Israel in Ex 21-22.

21And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night: 22He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.

God's Glory

God's glory, or essence, gives enlighenment and cleanses and no evil thing will be allowed in His presence.

Ex 24:16-18. 16And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. 17And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. 18And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

2Chr 5:13-14 13It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; 14So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

1Cor 10:1-3 1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

God's Army

Is 19:1 1The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it.

Heb 12:1-2 1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Rev 10:1-7 1And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire: 2And he had in his hand a little book open: and he set his right foot upon the sea, and his left foot on the earth, 3And cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roareth: and when he had cried, seven thunders uttered their voices. 4And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not. 5And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, 6And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: 7But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Lu 21:27-28 27And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Rev 11:11-12, 15-18 11And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. 12And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

15And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. 16And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, 17Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. 18And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

The clouds he will return in are all of these: God's protection, God's glory, God's army and JESUS CHRIST himself!

And then there are mushroom clouds . . . , if you get my drift. :scream:

• Haha 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.27
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.98

6 hours ago, In the Clouds said:

So...

Protection

God's Glory

God's Army

Beloved ones, we heard what has been said in Genesis 9:12-13

“And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow IN THE CLOUD, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9‬:‭12‬-‭13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

WHAT is THE CLOUD? 

This, we heard:

“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great A CLOUD OF WITNESSES, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That we may understand:

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow IN THE CLOUD ( or IN THE WITNESSES) and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

WHAT is “my bow” that God said ?

For we heard:

“And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set MY BOW in the cloud, and IT (or MY BOW)  shall be for A  TOKEN OF A COVENANT BETWEEN ME AND THE EARTH.

That we may understand:

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set MY BOW ( or MY TOKEN OF A COVENANT BETWEEN ME AND THE EARTH) in the cloud ( or in the witnesses) and IT ( MY BOW) shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

Selah ( reflect) 

To God the Father be all glory and thanksgiving through Christ.

Amen

• Praise God! 1

Now, beloved ones. let us consider what we have heard in Exodus 24:15-18

“And Moses went up into the mount, and a cloud covered the mount. And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.”

‭‭Exodus‬ ‭24‬:‭15‬-‭18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This is also that we heard: 

“This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear. This is he, THAT WAS IN THE CHURCH IN THE WILDERNESS with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:”

‭‭Acts‬ ‭7‬:‭37‬-‭38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That we may understand:

“And Moses went up into the mount, and A CLOUD ( or a cloud of witnesses or THE CHURCH) covered the mount. 

And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and THE CLOUD (the cloud of witnesses or the church) covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. 

And THE SIGHT OF THE GLORY OF THE LORD ( this is not the sight of the cloud) was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. 

And Moses went into the midst of THE CLOUD (the cloud of witnesses or the church)

and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

This is also what we have heard:

“For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, and the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: (for they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: and so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) but ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and CHURCH OF THE FIRSTBORN, WHICH ARE WRITTEN IN HEAVEN, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭18‬-‭24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That we may understand:

“And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud ( or my token of a covenant between me and the earth in the cloud of witnesses or in the church of the first born), and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

Selah

Amen

Also, beloved ones,let us consider what we have heard:

“And it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place: (for all the priests that were present were sanctified, and did not then wait by course: also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:) it came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with A CLOUD ( or a cloud of witnesses), EVEN THE HOUSE OF THE LORD; so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.”

‭‭2 Chronicles‬ ‭5‬:‭11‬-‭14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

According to Oxford dictionary, 

EVEN meaning equal in number, amount, or value.

That we may understand:

And it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place: (for all the priests that were present were sanctified, and did not then wait by course: also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:) it came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud ( a cloud of witnesses or THE CHURCH OF THE FIRST BORN),EVEN THE HOUSE OF THE LORD; so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

Selah

Amen

4 hours ago, Santoso said:

( a cloud of witnesses or THE CHURCH OF THE FIRST BORN),

From the future???

Beloved one, if we are considering what we have heard,

“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great A CLOUD OF WITNESSES, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,”

these witnesses are those mentioned from Hebrews 11, that is, from Abel. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

We are not alone on this journey.  God has encompassed us with His angels for guidance, protection, and encouragement.

• This is Worthy 1

9 hours ago, Santoso said:

Beloved one, if we are considering what we have heard,

these witnesses are those mentioned from Hebrews 11, that is, from Abel. 

Someone's mixing contexts. Moses isn't metaphorical in the Tabernacle.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 10:46 PM, In the Clouds said:

So...

Also departed saints. I think it means literal clouds and it may indeed also mean departed saints, because the ones that got raised then went with Him to heaven from Abraham's bosom. I have heard that explanation once in church that it was a cloud of witnesses. And He would come back the same way. Plus in Revelation 20 only the ones who got killed in the trib get raised, so the rest must have been raised and gotten a new body before that. Jesus doesn't leave Abraham and all the O.T. saints plus all the other saints, the apostles 1000 years in heaven when He lives on earth with His bride.

Edited by RdJ
  • Well Said! 1