• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Dear Marnie,

You may want to rethink what you said about unions and their members. As a union member i would like to point out that we had to fight for our .20 an hour pay increase. That would be an $8.00 a week raise for me. You might want to consider the cost that one management position cost you as well. ONE person who was DEmoted this year in our company was only given a $10 million dollar bonus. The money that is bleeding companies dry is not coming from the general workers.

Love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Sorry people i did not want to hijack this thread but needed to tell the truth from my view point :thumbsup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Dear Marnie,

You may want to rethink what you said about unions and their members. As a union member i would like to point out that we had to fight for our .20 an hour pay increase. That would be an $8.00 a week raise for me. You might want to consider the cost that one management position cost you as well. ONE person who was DEmoted this year in our company was only given a $10 million dollar bonus. The money that is bleeding companies dry is not coming from the general workers.

Love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Sorry people i did not want to hijack this thread but needed to tell the truth from my view point :thumbsup:

Rebekah David,

I respect your views, but I don't need to rethink my opinion on unions. I think their time is past, and declining membership points in that direction. I know that at one time unions had their place, especially in the area of work place safety, and they did a lot of good to elevate the grunt workers to a decent level of pay. In today's world, though, I just don't see where they do anybody an good. I mean, if you dont like your job, you can go on the net, and have access to national databases; we are such a mobil society moving from one state to another is not difficult. I had a choice of being with a union or without when I was with the government, and I chose to go without. After two years, I was making over 15% more than the unionized employees because I was able to do more and accept more work. It's simple economics and I'd rather put the cash in my pocket than pay union bosses fees to do what I can do better.

But, if it works for you, more power to you, as long as your job is there for you. Incidently, I have nothing against union members, just unions in general. I checked that stat I posted...union benefits add $3,000 to the price of the average car, not $2,000 as I had earlier posted.

Well, I just have to say...that my burnt orange Mini Cooper is just pretty. I have no idea where it comes from.

BMW

Thanks. I didn't know that. A Beemer...how 'bout that. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

You tell'em Marnie! Those unions, what good are they. The mining industry seems to be getting along fine without them. :wub:

Now I wonder where all those people will go to work? :wub: Maybe they can get minimum wage jobs and then the governemtn can claim them as new jobs created in their next state of the economy report.

Sad isn't it? Jobs are so tough to find around here anymore in our part of the country. I work for JC Penney, have been there for a little over 5 years (1998-2001, 2003-present) and am making $8.63 an hour, with another pay raise due mid-summer. Not great money is it? However, it's about the best one can hope for around here unless you want to kill yourself in a steel mill.

I guess in a way I'm torn over unions to be honest. Yes, some of them may have heavy-handed tactics but not all do. Yes, it is a company's business what they do with their money but let's be honest, I think it nothing but fair if a company is turning millions in profits, the least they could do is to share some of that profit back with the employees. JC Penney has this "neat" way of sharing their profits with us-we get pizza parties and a Christmas party! Big deal, huh? A pizza party doesn't put clothes on my kids or food on the table. I've been greeted with the wonderful news that the Medicaid on my wife and I will be running out next month (thank God it's still on for the kids!) and premiums for health insurance are too high through the provider JCP has. Yes, strange things happen, Most High-we agree for once, lol! God bless ya! :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

The problem here is that Bernie and Marnie are both admittedly well off, thus they've lost touch with the real world. "To make more you have to be worth more" is NOT a Christian attitude to the economy. It's a Darwinian view, but certaintly not Christian. All jobs are are of close to equal worth.

What is your excuse when a person with a college education is making $8 an hour at a fast food resturant because it's the only job available? Give mea break, you people are so far away from reality it's not even funny.

Degree in accounting. Like I said, you've lost touch with reality.

Degree in accounting. Like I said, you've lost touch with reality.

If he is a CPA, he must have really messed up bad. For there is always a demmand for accountants. If you domess up though, you will be blackballed and never wirk in this town again. I doubt that there are no openings in that field.

There isn't a demand. He didn't mess up, he finished fifth in his class from OU. The simple fact is, no one is requesting his services. The reason is that there isn't a demand. Like I said, you're living in an absolute dream world.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

You tell'em Marnie! Those unions, what good are they. The mining industry seems to be getting along fine without them. :24:

Now I wonder where all those people will go to work? :blink: Maybe they can get minimum wage jobs and then the governemtn can claim them as new jobs created in their next state of the economy report.

Sad isn't it? Jobs are so tough to find around here anymore in our part of the country. I work for JC Penney, have been there for a little over 5 years (1998-2001, 2003-present) and am making $8.63 an hour, with another pay raise due mid-summer. Not great money is it? However, it's about the best one can hope for around here unless you want to kill yourself in a steel mill.

I guess in a way I'm torn over unions to be honest. Yes, some of them may have heavy-handed tactics but not all do. Yes, it is a company's business what they do with their money but let's be honest, I think it nothing but fair if a company is turning millions in profits, the least they could do is to share some of that profit back with the employees. JC Penney has this "neat" way of sharing their profits with us-we get pizza parties and a Christmas party! Big deal, huh? A pizza party doesn't put clothes on my kids or food on the table. I've been greeted with the wonderful news that the Medicaid on my wife and I will be running out next month (thank God it's still on for the kids!) and premiums for health insurance are too high through the provider JCP has. Yes, strange things happen, Most High-we agree for once, lol! God bless ya! :th_frusty:

I don't know what you did with your life, but what have you been working towards while you were growing up? Do you really expect to live well a a cahier at JC Penny? The sad truth is that a cashuer does not require much of an education and terefore, almost anybody can do the job. If you want to make more, become worth more. You refuse to work in the steel mill but in your community, that is where the pay is. Even there, you don't have to be "Just another worker" All those machines need maintenance, you can study to me an industrial mechanic. Even at JC Penny, who do you think keeps those lights running? or the air conditioning? Instead of complaining about how little you make, try to become worth more.

My experience with workers has not been all that positive. When we hired a cleaning guy to keep our plating shop clean, we start him at $7.50 /hr. Right from the start, I hand him the fork lift drivers study book and tell him. "The moment you qualify fork lift driver, you get another .50 / hr. Qualify to operate the waste treatment plant so that you can treat what you pick up, I'll put you in for another $1.00 / hr." Guess what? no takers! They never even try to learn the fork lift or operate the waste plant....Only complaim about how low thier wages are.

Instead of complaining about how low your pay is, try going to trade school. Cars need repairing, Heating & Air Conditioning, The Police Acadamy, Plumbing, Construction, etc.

If you want to make more, become worth more.

I'm not a cashier, I'm a supervisor. A store our size basically makes me an asst. mgr.

You tell'em Marnie! Those unions, what good are they. The mining industry seems to be getting along fine without them. :24:

Now I wonder where all those people will go to work? :24: Maybe they can get minimum wage jobs and then the governemtn can claim them as new jobs created in their next state of the economy report.

I guess in a way I'm torn over unions to be honest. Yes, some of them may have heavy-handed tactics but not all do. Yes, it is a company's business what they do with their money but let's be honest, I think it nothing but fair if a company is turning millions in profits, the least they could do is to share some of that profit back with the employees. JC Penney has this "neat" way of sharing their profits with us-we get pizza parties and a Christmas party! Big deal, huh? A pizza party doesn't put clothes on my kids or food on the table. I've been greeted with the wonderful news that the Medicaid on my wife and I will be running out next month (thank God it's still on for the kids!) and premiums for health insurance are too high through the provider JCP has. Yes, strange things happen, Most High-we agree for once, lol! God bless ya! :blink:

I don't know what you did with your life, but what have you been working towards while you were growing up? Do you really expect to live well a a cahier at JC Penny? The sad truth is that a cashuer does not require much of an education and terefore, almost anybody can do the job. If you want to make more, become worth more. You refuse to work in the steel mill but in your community, that is where the pay is. Even there, you don't have to be "Just another worker" All those machines need maintenance, you can study to me an industrial mechanic. Even at JC Penny, who do you think keeps those lights running? or the air conditioning? Instead of complaining about how little you make, try to become worth more.

My experience with workers has not been all that positive. When we hired a cleaning guy to keep our plating shop clean, we start him at $7.50 /hr. Right from the start, I hand him the fork lift drivers study book and tell him. "The moment you qualify fork lift driver, you get another .50 / hr. Qualify to operate the waste treatment plant so that you can treat what you pick up, I'll put you in for another $1.00 / hr." Guess what? no takers! They never even try to learn the fork lift or operate the waste plant....Only complaim about how low thier wages are.

Instead of complaining about how low your pay is, try going to trade school. Cars need repairing, Heating & Air Conditioning, The Police Acadamy, Plumbing, Construction, etc.

If you want to make more, become worth more.

I'm not a cashier, I'm a supervisor. A store our size basically makes me an asst. mgr.

Which is a job that deserves much, much, much more than $8 an hour.

I mean, with all my education I'm working in a public school helping the mentally handicapped....making about the same wage you are. Likewise, we aren't offered any health care, don't get paied when schools take days off or there are snow days, are not allowed to count overtime or work past 35 hours, and any attempt to unionize or join the NEA results genearlly in termination. Guess I should get a higher paying job and let the kids handle themselves. :th_frusty:

High importance jobs that require a college education don't always bring in the big bucks....and can't be unionized sometimes. Of course, I don't own my own business so what do I know?

You tell'em Marnie! Those unions, what good are they. The mining industry seems to be getting along fine without them. :blink:

Now I wonder where all those people will go to work? :th_frusty: Maybe they can get minimum wage jobs and then the governemtn can claim them as new jobs created in their next state of the economy report.

Hey, pretty slick comment there. Now, let's see. I lost my job in government, where I was making in the low 70's. When you live in DC, that's not considered well-off. Plus, I had to pay for my own health care and pension. I lost my job due to an "accident" which most everybody here knows about. Now, who, I wonder would hire a woman in her late 20's, who can't walk, and can't talk? Hmmmm....how about NOBODY??

So...today, 4 years later, I am physically recovered from my accident, although I am mute. Today, I am self employed and I earn in the 6 figures, even though I cannot speak a word. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, Most High, gave me this job. I went out and created it. I saw a need in the publishing industry and filled it. I didn't want to be on welfare and I didn't want SSI or whatever. At 32, I am probably better off than some, and not as well off as others. My point, Almost High, is that in America....anything is possible if you put forth an effort and get off your assets and stop crying the blues about how unfair the system is. You know, it is unfair. Everyday somebody gets something somebody else wants. But life (and the economy) is not a zero sum game. And if I could make it, believe me anybody can. All it takes is determination, faith in yourself, faith in people and most of all, faith in G-d. I couldn't have made it without Him and His strength.

Forgive me, and I do apologize if I offend anybody. But people, we are blessed to be in a great country (not perfect, but great). What makes this country great is NOT who is in the White House or who your union boss is. Greatness comes from within. I for one want to take advantage of the freedoms we have in America and make it work for me, so I can in turn bless others.