• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/15/1990

I know exactly how Yomo feels. I would absoultely love to learn something that I don't already know. Bordem is not good. It turns me into a know-it-all and a trouble maker; since I have nothing esle to do. I study on my own but I have tons of questions that normally go unanswered. My youth group is very repeatative and easy and basic. This is great for most of the kids. 20 have come to Christ since june! :whistling: the only thing is that it stays so easy for the new kids. the youth council doesn't want a deep youth Bible study for reasons they are not about to tell the kid who really wants to be in one and the adults don't think it's a good idea for the kids to join their Bible studies because they are all over crowded already. (sigh) Oh well not about me any way. Anyone got any ideas on how to learn new Bible stuff if not in a group. I feel like i'm stuck in a rut. Want to learn not seeing any opportunities.

-Katie

PS. define Athenian and the context inwhich used please.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Luke, in the Book of Acts describes Athens by saying that 'the citizens of Athens, and all who visit there, occupy in nothing else but to hear or to say some new thing....'

On a serious note: If you really want something new, read Madam Guyon, or Brother Lawrence........ TRANSFABULESCENT!!!

I can understand that people would like a sermon to be delivered with some zeal to make it "more interesting." Nobody likes a mundane, monotoned speaker that seemingly has no life in his voice. Zeal in a message is helpful but that really isn't the purpose of church though is it?

I have found that when we first obey what we already know God has commanded us, then He will reveal new things to us! If we aren't doing what He's already told us, why should He give us something new?

Most importantly, it's not up to the pastor to excite us, entertain or jazz us up. It's wonderful when they can, but it's not their responsibility. He is there to shepherd and guide the congregation. It is up to each of us, individually, to keep ourselves motivated and interested in the Life. We are responsible for our own spiritual growth.

Here is a formula that you may find interesting;

The spiritual perfection;

- interaction of 3 facts within the spiritual nature

Love, thro light , appealed to will.

Will, responding, strengthened love & increased light.

That is the perpetual process of a human life.

Again:

Yeilding to God,light falls upon the pathway,

and creates love.

Love suggests obedience,

the will, impulsed by love,

yeilds to light.

The experience that follows obedience

increases love & light,

thus there is a perpetual progress,

growth, developement of the grace that

makes men grow, in favor

with God & men.

Guest behind_closed_doors

hey i totally agree!! took my youth group to get my church to really change again!! it wasnt just us but god need someone to rise... i guess he was waiting for the rite ones who were willing... right?

behind_closed_doors

I've noticed that in Church, everyone seems to repeat the SAME thing, over and over.

I wrote a note to my friend at church, saying

"I wish they'd say something different or at least they'd make it interesting! I'd love to hear something NEW, something out of the Scriptures that I'd never really read before."

I remember last year, at Camp, a guy called Bob Telford, (a LOVELY guy) spoke on all kinds of things.

But he presented things in a much more interesting way.

Yes, I know he was getting to teens, but it was the WAY he said it......he made David (King) come to life, you could actually SEE Abraham walking in the direction God lead him.....

Why doesn't the Church do that.

In a thread by CFS, he said you never hear sermons about his question.

It's true.

You hear things over and over, 'til they bubble out your ears, but you never hear of things you WANT to hear about, like Heaven, and hell, and HOW TO REACH THE LOST!!!!!

I think that once those things are mentioned, Christians will start to make a difference.

But why do you think the things we want to hear are not presented.

Is it just my church, or is a wide thing?

Yomo

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/28/1978

yomo

i have often times wondered that myself...i came to the conclusion that it is my ultimate responsibility to be challenged in the Word. there are times when sermons become redundant, but the Bible has never left me feeling uninterested or unchallenged.

it is unfortunate that sometimes Church is redundant and boring. i don't know all the why's but i'm sure we all know a few. we can fall into catering to the crowd. we can fall into only trying to win new members. we can fall into believing we've got it all figured out and don't need any more. all of this can lead to boring, redundant and unchallenging sermons. it is for this reason that i prefer Sunday school to the actual service sometimes.

either way, i still really believe that the Word is completely alive. if the preacher never brings a new word, the LORD is most definately always speaking a fresh and living Word if we lean in to hear it.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/27/1972

Things at my church have been going in a different direction and I am really excited about. My pastor has really been trying to put some pratical insights into his sermons. It is on thing to say that God wants you to love each other and your neighbor but show me how to put that into practice. I will admit that my pastor has been "stepping on some toes" lately but I have really learned a lot. The youth pastor just did a wonderful mini- series on prayer. He was so frustrated with the "we need to pray more, amen and go home" sermons. He spent time explaining why we need prayer, how to pray,the benefits of praying and how to apply this to your life. I love our young marrieds class. Both the young marrieds pastor and youth pastor incorporates videos, mini- plays, stories to show the practical side of what they are teaching. I really come away feeling that I have learned something and the understanding on how to apply it. I have gone to services where I "felt" good and thought " yeah, this is what God wants me to do" but had no idea how to really apply it or how to start. The way pur pastors are doing right not, I reallly love church and feel that I could do these things God wants me to do and live for God in a more deep way!