• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Dear Saints of God,

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ! This is the topic the Lord spoke to me about today and said would be my first thread here in the Apologetics section of Worthy Boards.

I have noticed a disturbing trend in the Christian music realm. I have some testimony of personal experience to better shed light on this. At a "Christian" concert some well known artists have incorporated secular songs into their acts. This is not a new thing though, yet it is growing. Some other acts did not even mention Jesus or Christianity in their music.

Some major things that bother me is bands who get huge and sell out to the world, hello P.O.D! In Third Days latest worship album they used a section of a U2 song in one of their songs, please do not even try to post that U2 is Christian, can you say bear fruit? What does this say about one of, if not the biggest Christian Rock band in Christian Music? Right now Mercyme is being played all over secular radio, are they next? Your thoughts on this......and blessings to all who post.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I really have only one comment to make brother. I think it is a breath of fresh air to hear MercyMe's "I Can Only Imagine" played on secular radio. I hear kids walking down the street singing it. I pray that they don't succomb to temptations that fame brings, that must be hard, and the band members are young.

I don't much like POD's or Third Days music, so I don't listen. Therefore, I can't comment.

Be blessed brother!

I really have only one comment to make brother. I think it is a breath of fresh air to hear MercyMe's "I Can Only Imagine" played on secular radio. I hear kids walking down the street singing it. I pray that they don't succomb to temptations that fame brings, that must be hard, and the band members are young.

I don't much like POD's or Third Days music, so I don't listen. Therefore, I can't comment.

Be blessed brother!

Greetings in Christ! Thank you for your comments, I too like to see Soldiers being SALT...when I was unsaved I got into Jars of Clay because I heard them on secular radio, but the danger lies in what you made mention of, which is that once some of these bands cross-over...so do their lyrics and lives...they indeed are of the same clothe as the man Paul mentioned that had sold out and betrayed him. The Spirit of this age is strong, I like mercyme alot but if they sell out i will trash their music..personally i cannot listen to someone, albiet preacher, musician, etc, once they have compromised...

True Brother. Perhaps they need our prayers now. For strength against temptation, for discernment and for more and more hunger for our Lord.

Music is an attention getter. The enemy tries to twist the good and pure things of the Father. It is strange how we associate things in our past with music, or how something is recalled when a song is heard. One thinks of a church when they hear an organ playing and a bunch of men in kilts when they hear a bagpipe. And praise the Lord that the Christian music of today turns my mind and heart to Jesus and the wondrous cross! I do pray that the bands stay strong in the Lord so that more seeds can be sown.

Greetings in Christ Jesus! A whole-hearted AMEN to that post. What is your opinion on the broad brush stroke classification of Christian music? Examples to help you out are U2 and Creed being lumped into the genre. Blessings on your house.

This is where I can't contribute to the conversation Brother. I have not listened to U2 or Creed. As far as the broad brushstroke - - may I say this? To me Christian music is that which turns the thoughts of the listener to Christ.

Personally I like music to be

1. Praise & worship - Glorifying Jesus

2. Instructional (the very word in song)

3. Thought provoking (ballads)

After days and days of rain, two people are watching the sunrise and one says "what beauty to behold! How our Father must love us to give us such gifts!" and the other says "Looks like more rain later today. I don't need more rain! I wish our Father would stop the rain for a while." These two believers are looking at the same event from different perspectives. I know that when I worship it's not always the same. Sometimes it's joyous and uplifting and sometimes its on my knees and very somber.

Anyway, I really have nothing to offer this thread, I just wanted to share that I do love music. :rofl:

All music is spiritual...if we give over the secular realm completely then all that will be heard in the "world" is secular humanism.

As far as music goes, the style of music only reflects the culture that is being spoken to. The message is what makes it good or bad.

I love POD!

not because of their music but because of their stand. After that, their music is better than most secular bands which is a good thing. I'm tired of hearing christians lament about how we should "be the head and not the tail" but when someone breaks outside of the artificial boundries placed by religion, they get arrows in their back. Most christians don't understand their mission but thank G-d they aren't out to please christians.

Btw, I was saved while listening to U2 and driving down the highway. I was a die-hard atheist who had absolutely nothing to do with church. They played a big part in painting a picture of G-d as someone I might want to know...so please be careful about limiting what G-d can do through music.

I can assure you that I listened to christian music back then and it made me laugh hysterically. I prayed the Lord would not to turn me into that after coming to faith.

If you want to talk about the secularization of christian music this is not a good way to start.

All music is spiritual...if we give over the secular realm completely then all that will be heard in the "world" is secular humanism.

All music is spiritual - is this why it's so influential yod? I know that music can divide believers. They take strong stands for this and that regarding music.

When I became a Christian I did not throw out all my old music. I seldom listen to it any more, but I didn't trash it. Course, my old stuff was fairly tame compared to what's out there.

You also said -

Most christians don't understand their mission but thank G-d they aren't out to please christians.

You come up with some pretty profound statements brother! :rofl: It's pretty nice having you around!

This will surely get me into trouble with the religious crowd....but I listen to Led Zepplin about twice a year just to remind me of what "original" music used to be.

:rofl:

And I love Al Green too...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/25/1972

I threw out all my old music when I became a believer because it became a stumbling block for me.

I had lots of stuff that...well...it just kept reminding me of my old sinful habits, my old sinful lifestyle, and it actually did drag me into something that wasn't real great for a believer either. Had I not parted with that music, who knows what I'd be like right now. So for me to "purge" my music collection and replace it with Christian music, etc., was the right thing for me to do. I personally have very little desire for mainstream secular music, but that's just me.

As for POD, etc., well, I just don't care for that style of music, so I don't listen. That's a personal preference more so than a "I'm going to impose my will on you" issue.

But indeed, this issue is extremely divisive.