IGNORED

Preaching Gospel Salvation Message

Guest coolwaters

Should the salvation message be preached every Sunday?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should the salvation message be preached every Sunday?

• yes
    • no

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I agree coolwaters. The gospel SHOULD be preached (at least briefly) at every opportunity because we do not know the hearts of anyone. Maybe the one sitting close to you is not saved, though he/she has been attending every Sunday for years. However, we should not neglect the flock either. They need to be fed as well.

One thing I find incredible is how the congregation in general has forgotten one major important message. The second coming. And when mentioned to them about our living in the end times, they respond with "well every generation since Christ has thought that." And they brush aside the REALITY that HE is coming again and soon! THAT message should be preached from the rooftops, loudly, right now, to everyone!!

Sorry - I tend to get carried away sometimes. :rofl:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/25/1972

Trav, we're doing an "end-times" series right now.

Basically comes out of Matthew 24, and the concept of "as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be at the coming of the Son of Man..."

But in each sermon, a brief presentation of the gospel is given at the end every time...so that people who are unsaved or have fallen away can have the opportunity to respond before it' too late.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Great Bill! We're not doing a series on it, but our pastor does teach on it ever so often.

I am in total agreement on the "days of Noah." If it weren't for the rainbow, I'd be holding an umbrella right now! :rofl:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

Good topic, so let's start here:

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

1 Timothy 2:1-8 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. 7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. 8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

The word "saved" in the Greek is:

4982 sozo {sode'-zo}

from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, "safe");

TDNT - 7:965,1132; v

AV - save 93, make whole 9, heal 3, be whole 2, misc 3; 110

1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction

1a) one (from injury or peril)

1a1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one

suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health

1b1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction,

to save or rescue

1b) to save in the technical biblical sense

1b1) negatively

1b1a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment

1b1b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception

of the Messianic deliverance

The word "sozo" seem to reveal the most clear definition of what we believe it is to be "saved", and "to be saved", we find:

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; ....

Now, I believe that Paul's intent was to address WHO it is that is responsible for delivering the "gospel" message. As you can see in 1 Tim., he is saying that "men (pray) every where". This is the FIRST and most important part of dispensing the "gospel" message.

I do not believe that Paul intended for the "gospel message" to be presented ONLY in church, in fact the "church" is the "called out ones", who have already HEARD the Gospel message and have repented and come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Perhaps this is pertinent here:

Hebrews 5:12-14 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

In my study of the "gospel", I have realized that the "full gospel" message consists of the following:

1) The BIRTH of Jesus Christ (the incarnation of God in human flesh)

2) The LIFE of Jesus Christ (the example He set for us)

3) The DEATH of Jesus Christ (without which there would be NO propitiation of sins)

4) The RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ (without which we would ALL die in our sins)

5) The COMING AGAIN of Jesus Christ (our future hope to be forever in the presence of our God)

These are the things that need be taught in our churches, from the preacher and the teacher. Instead of Charles Standley, I think a better example of a great preacher in our day is Chuck Swindoll.

In any case, we need to mature the ones in the church NOT bring them to "repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God", and a SIMPLE salvation message is not sufficient to do that. For the UNSAVED, the basic Gospel message is needed, but for the CHURCH we need to GROW UP! We need to start eating MEAT and get off the milk diet.

Well, perhaps I've already said too much. I wish you all God's blessings in wisdom and understanding.

God Bless,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I would really like to find more people to get the message to. I find it vital to

direct the message of the Word of God to as many people as we can find: the saved, the unsaved, the mentally handicapped, the elderly, etc. Time is getting shorter, and who knows if I'll get a chance to witness to a lot of people. The salvation message is very essential. However, we must also speak of repentance, and the glorification of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the such.

Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Luke 10: 25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

John 14:15 - If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21 - He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

These are the words of Jesus concerning salvation. I find it rather disturbing that Christ's words are so often left out of the salvation message.

Usually it is the words of Paul that are taken as gospel, and not the words of Christ Himself.

I have seen this verse as the sole and entire message base. And I wonder how many can see the glaring differences in the teaching style and message.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The verse used in Acts is like unto it.

Christ said to follow the commandments, and to do so would mean that it is Christ that is loved and it would lead to eternal Life. It is not quite as simple as it is made out to be these days. We must bear our own cross and follow Him. But to love Him and follow Him means to follow His teachings and the commandments to the best of our ability.

It is the difference between paying lip service and truly walking the walk.

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Jesus said, "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord!' and not do what I say?"

I kinda chuckle when I read that. Doesn't it just remind you of your own kids?

We need to remember that babies are born and haven't a clue how to obey...they only know to cry and whine when they want something.

Then toddlers develop a sense of will and independence, often falling on their rears as they waddle about.

Then there's the preschooler who's always into something and rarely obedient to parental commands.

Then, they approach the golden years of elementary school - a painful time of adjustment for grades 1 through 3.....I've taught them; I know.

First graders wrestle with obedience - staying in their seats and raising their hands to be recognized. It's hard to do. It's new to them.

Finally, they reach a special place I love.... 4th and 5th grade...where they're learn obedience and loyalty. They laugh at your jokes; they hang on your every word...they respond to your voice. It's the ideal time for teaching...most are open, sensitive and responsive to commands.

Down the mountain again....

Growth in the Christian life begins to parallel human growth and look like a normal bell curve...

The treacherous preteen age comes...puberty and rebellion They develop not only an urge for defiance; they get "mouthy

Worse and worse...the teens are notorious for utter contempt for authority. Not all, mind you...but many go through this difficult and trying time. (It's about this time many parents are ready to pull their hair out).

Why do I bring this up? I've raised children and I've taught school. I know the stages kids go through.

We tend to look at all "Christians" as adults, mature and established in their walk with God. Truth is we're all developing at different rates and are at different levels of maturation.

Not to mention we all have those areas where we are strong and those where we're weak.

Some people mature faster and some seem to never mature.

Why do you think God calls us "children"?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Greetings All,

Good topic, so let's start here:

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

1 Timothy 2:1-8 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. 7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. 8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

The word "saved" in the Greek is:

4982 sozo {sode'-zo}

from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, "safe");

TDNT - 7:965,1132; v

AV - save 93, make whole 9, heal 3, be whole 2, misc 3; 110

1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction

1a) one (from injury or peril)

1a1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one

suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health

1b1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction,

to save or rescue

1b) to save in the technical biblical sense

1b1) negatively

1b1a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment

1b1b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception

of the Messianic deliverance

The word "sozo" seem to reveal the most clear definition of what we believe it is to be "saved", and "to be saved", we find:

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; ....

Now, I believe that Paul's intent was to address WHO it is that is responsible for delivering the "gospel" message. As you can see in 1 Tim., he is saying that "men (pray) every where". This is the FIRST and most important part of dispensing the "gospel" message.

I do not believe that Paul intended for the "gospel message" to be presented ONLY in church, in fact the "church" is the "called out ones", who have already HEARD the Gospel message and have repented and come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Perhaps this is pertinent here:

Hebrews 5:12-14 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

In my study of the "gospel", I have realized that the "full gospel" message consists of the following:

3) The DEATH of Jesus Christ (without which there would be NO propitiation of sins)

4) The RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ (without which we would ALL die in our sins)

5) The COMING AGAIN of Jesus Christ (our future hope to be forever in the presence of our God)

These are the things that need be taught in our churches, from the preacher and the teacher. Instead of Charles Standley, I think a better example of a great preacher in our day is Chuck Swindoll.

In any case, we need to mature the ones in the church NOT bring them to "repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God", and a SIMPLE salvation message is not sufficient to do that. For the UNSAVED, the basic Gospel message is needed, but for the CHURCH we need to GROW UP! We need to start eating MEAT and get off the milk diet.

Well, perhaps I've already said too much. I wish you all God's blessings in wisdom and understanding.

God Bless,

Dad Ernie

Greetings in Christ! Once again a thorough and well thought out post, Praise the Lamb of God. I agree that it is time for the children of God to get off of milk who have been on it to long...I think though that the main problem in this is that many people do not want their "pet sins" to be mentioned...as it goes with most Main Line Denoms..Such things like the 2nd coming of Christ...being rapture ready...sheeps and goats...etc...would shake up alot of people...and being that there alot of hirlings now in Gods Kingdom...they rather keep their job and check then preach the WHOLE truth of Gods Word.

Guest coolwaters

The Fourfold Ministry

of Our Lord.

The Four Subjects.

The First is THE KINGDOM.

The Second is THE KING. } Their Proclamation.

The Third is THE KING.

The Fourth is THE KINGDOM. } Their Rejection.

The first subject is marked by the beginning and ending being both noted (4:17 and 7:28). All between these verses referred to the Kingdom which had drawn near in the Person of the King, but which, owing to His rejection, and the rejection of the "other servants" (22:4) in the Acts of the Apostles, was postponed, and is now in abeyance (Hebrews 2:8, "not yet").

The commencement of the Second Subject is noted by the ending of the First Subject (7:28). In chapter 8:2, 6, 8 the Lord is immediately addressed as "Lord"; and in verse 20 He gives His other title, "the Son of man" 1. The great miracles manifesting His Divine and Human perfections are recorded in this section, which ends with His question focussing the whole Subject : "Who do men say that I, the Son of man, am?" and Peter's answer : "Thou art the Messiah, the Son of the living God" (16:13-16).

The Third Subject is marked in 16:21 : "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto His disciples how He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things", etc.

Thus there was a moment at which He introduced the Subject of His rejection, of which He had never before given even a hint. When once He had begun, He repeated it four times (in each Gospel), each time adding fresh details. See 16:21; 17:22; 20:18; 20:28.

The Fourth Subject (the Rejection of the Kingdom) begins at 21:1 and continues down to 26:35, when He goes forth from the Upper Room to Gethsemane.

In this section comes the second series 2 of Parables which deals with the Rejection and Postponement of the Kingdom, which was to be henceforth in abeyance. The approaching end of this period is marked off in 26:1, closing with the last Supper at 26:26-29.

The same four subjects may be traced in like manner in the other Gospels.