Brother Chad

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question for Brother Chad... Under the belief system of your church believers in Christ who are not fully immersed at baptism go to hell?

I have never heard or read anywhere that those who are not immersed at baptism go to hell. We don't seek to judge, but rather leave it up to the only One who will, Jesus Christ. However, it is our goal to follow the Bible and do it to the best of our ability. The Bible clearly shows that immersion is the proper way to baptize:

-The word baptism comes from the Greek word bapto which means "to dip." There were other Greek words to indicate sprinkling, but God chose a word to indicate immersion.

-Immersion is the only mode of baptism the Bible records. John the Baptist used the Jordan River (Mark 1:5, 9). John immersed Jesus: "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water" (Matthew 3:16). Philip immersed the Ethiopian eunuch: "They went down both into the water.... and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water" (Acts 8:38-39).

-Paul used baptism to relate a burial with Christ, "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:4). No one is buried by sprinkling or pouring a little dirt on the body, by only by complete submergence.

-Since Bible days, other forms of baptism have arisen, but the Bible never describes these forms. Sprinkling and pouring came about as a matter of convenience. Infant baptism, triple baptism by some trinitarians, and postponement of baptism until the deathbed (an attempt to live one's life in sin and still be saved) are all nonbiblical baptismal practices and made immersion even more inconvenient.

Here are some reasons why the mode of baptism is important:

-Baptism is a biblical command. Since the Bible puts so much emphasis on baptism, we should perform as close to the way the Bible describes it.

-Jesus was immersed as an example for us to follow. It is worth doing the way Jesus and His apostles did it.

-Other modes of baptism were invented from nonbiblical tradition. Jesus condemned tradition fervently when it caused a deviation from God's Word (Mark 7:8; Matthew 15:6).

-The only advantage sprinkling has is convenience and is a poor excuse for not following the Bible.

-Immersion demonstrates obedience to God and respect for His Word.

-Only by immersion do we retain the significance of baptism as a burial with Christ.

I hope this answers your question! :)

I agree, Bro. Chad, after we receive Jesus as our Saviour, then baptism follows, like you said it is dying to the old self, and coming up a new creature in Christ Jesus. Is this true?? Also I have some JW friends, that they say they do not agree with, The Trinity. The Father, Son, and H.S. - They do not understand how 3 people can be in one. can you explain that.??YSIC Littlelite

As a UPC saint I do not believe in the trinity myself. I have studied both doctrines and have come to the conclusion that the Bible is clear on the fact that God is one in nature, essence, and Being. For some further light on the subject please feel free to look at the Soapbox debate between myself and Ovedya. If you have any other questions just let me know!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is good stuff and I respect what you have written, WISDOM. The case of the thief on the cross is not the same as a born again believer though. He was saved by the old covenant, where Jesus was his high priest and sacrifice. The Bible is very clear with regards to our salvation and although it is a free gift of God, there is a process to it:

GRACE: This is a must in our salvation and is an

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

I have a question for Brother Chad... Under the belief system of your church believers in Christ who are not fully immersed at baptism go to hell?

I have never heard or read anywhere that those who are not immersed at baptism go to hell. We don't seek to judge, but rather leave it up to the only One who will, Jesus Christ. However, it is our goal to follow the Bible and do it to the best of our ability. The Bible clearly shows that immersion is the proper way to baptize:

-The word baptism comes from the Greek word bapto which means "to dip." There were other Greek words to indicate sprinkling, but God chose a word to indicate immersion.

-Immersion is the only mode of baptism the Bible records. John the Baptist used the Jordan River (Mark 1:5, 9). John immersed Jesus: "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water" (Matthew 3:16). Philip immersed the Ethiopian eunuch: "They went down both into the water.... and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water" (Acts 8:38-39).

-Paul used baptism to relate a burial with Christ, "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:4). No one is buried by sprinkling or pouring a little dirt on the body, by only by complete submergence.

-Since Bible days, other forms of baptism have arisen, but the Bible never describes these forms. Sprinkling and pouring came about as a matter of convenience. Infant baptism, triple baptism by some trinitarians, and postponement of baptism until the deathbed (an attempt to live one's life in sin and still be saved) are all nonbiblical baptismal practices and made immersion even more inconvenient.

-Baptism is a biblical command. Since the Bible puts so much emphasis on baptism, we should perform as close to the way the Bible describes it.

-Jesus was immersed as an example for us to follow. It is worth doing the way Jesus and His apostles did it.

-Other modes of baptism were invented from nonbiblical tradition. Jesus condemned tradition fervently when it caused a deviation from God's Word (Mark 7:8; Matthew 15:6).

-The only advantage sprinkling has is convenience and is a poor excuse for not following the Bible.

-Only by immersion do we retain the significance of baptism as a burial with Christ.

I agree, Bro. Chad, after we receive Jesus as our Saviour, then baptism follows, like you said it is dying to the old self, and coming up a new creature in Christ Jesus. Is this true?? Also I have some JW friends, that they say they do not agree with, The Trinity. The Father, Son, and H.S. - They do not understand how 3 people can be in one. can you explain that.??YSIC Littlelite

As a UPC saint I do not believe in the trinity myself.

Now I know.....that explains everything.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/21/1948

:wub:

As a UPC saint I do not believe in the trinity myself. I have studied both doctrines and have come to the conclusion that the Bible is clear on the fact that God is one in nature, essence, and Being. For some further light on the subject please feel free to look at the Soapbox debate between myself and Ovedya. If you have any other questions just let me know!

Thanks for your answer, if you do not recognize the Trinity, then what about the Godhead, is that not the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.?? Can you explain that. Thanks for your input, YSIC Littlelite

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

HOLY GHOST: Faith also leads us to receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Jesus proclaimed this in John 7:38. Peter taught this concept (Acts 11:15-17). Paul expected believers would receive the Holy Ghost (Acts 19:2). Paul also taught that we receive the Holy Ghost through faith (Galatians 3:14). A believer

Edited by DInsights

Brother Chad

Here is what it all comes down to: We are saved by the grace of God, once we have faith that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again, we now move on in the process. What will faith bring about in the believer? Hopefully, repentance, then the believer will submit to water baptism for the remission of sins. Peter did not say that if you repent your sins are erased. He said be baptized in order that your sins be remitted. Then after the believer is found in true repentance and water baptized, he or she should receive the Holy Spirit in them, which is Christ living inside of us. I am merely reading the Bible and being obedient to it because that is what Jesus has cautioned us to do or else!

Chad