• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1984

I go to KSU University. The other day there was this huge protest about illegal immagration and sending them back to Mexico etc etc...I don't understand what they are screaming about...Obviously, in my mind, the kids of those illegal immagrants should be able to stay because it wasn't their fault they are here in the first place. But I don't see a problem with sending their parents back, and guarding the border better. I don't get how they can protest a law...I have nothing against Mexico or the people of Mexico. But if they come over illegally that's their risk.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

KU is better....in both football and basketball :)

Anyway, it's a big deal because it seperates families.

As for protesting laws...that is what we do in this nation. If you want a law changed, you protest it. That is how our nation was founded, that is how we changed civil rights, that is how we change laws that we hate in America. That is why they are protesting because it's an unjustifiable law at this point and it needs to be changed.

Guest LadyC
I go to KSU University. The other day there was this huge protest about illegal immagration and sending them back to Mexico etc etc...I don't understand what they are screaming about...Obviously, in my mind, the kids of those illegal immagrants should be able to stay because it wasn't their fault they are here in the first place. But I don't see a problem with sending their parents back, and guarding the border better. I don't get how they can protest a law...I have nothing against Mexico or the people of Mexico. But if they come over illegally that's their risk.

hat_town, there's nothing wrong with protesting laws, but there is a proper way of doing it. these marches of protest, especially when people are ditching school to participate, are the WRONG way to go about it. the proper way is to contact their legislators, either individually or collectively with a petition, or both. protest marches are very popular and help raise awareness, but they do little if anything to affect legislative reform.

illegal immigration, regardless of where the people are immigrating from, is a huge problem that puts a strain our our national resources and needs to be dealt with. the first step would be to start penalizing employers who hire illegal immigrants to the tune of $100,000 per offense. that would take away the incentive that entices so many to circumvent our laws. honestly, without that incentive, i don't really think a wall would even be necessary. PLUS, it would be the most cost effective way of getting a handle on the situation.

regarding deportation, a great place to start would be our prisons. roughly 27% of all prison inmates are here illegally. our prison system is bursting at the seams! our tax dollars keep going to feeding and sheltering inmates, providing inmates with free health care, paying the staff, building new institutions, not to mention covering the legal defense for those who haven't got enough money to pay for an atty... not just once, but through countless appeals. because of prison overcrowding, inmates who have committed the most heinous crimes often serve only 1/4 of their sentence before being paroled. our criminal justice system would be far more effective if we were to reduce the prison population by 27%, don't ya think?

i'm all for legislative reform that would eliminate some of the difficulties of immigrating legally, but i am absolutely against rewarding those who have already broken our laws. to do that is unfair to the millions of immigrants (past, present and future) who go through the process. it is also unfair to anyone of any nationality in this country who tries to uphold the laws the best they can.

Just you wait 'till next basketball season apothanein kerdos haha...Huggins is a really good coach plus we are getting some amazing recruits! Check out the 7'3" guy we just signed...his name slips my mind for some reason hah. Good luck next season (obviously you're a KU fan :) )

Also, yes it splits families...but it was their fault (not the kids) in the first place for coming over here illegally. I'm a believer in that you can do whatever it is you want in this world. You just have to pay the consequences of your actions. They chose to come over here illegally they should be forced to go back. My opinion and I obviously don't know a whole lot about the current situation...just seems like common sense.

LadyC: Wow looks like you know your stuff! Thanks for the information. The protest was nuts...I had to fight through all that mess just to get across campus to get to class. Part of the reason i'm so hacked off haha.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

How many topics do we need on this issue? I feel sorry anyone reading this board who is Mexican (legal or not), because there seems to be an obssession with this topic. Even if you're a Mexican born in the United States, there is descrimination and speculation about your relatives or ancestors. And heaven forbid that you speak fluent spanish. The harshness towards Mexicans that has been expressed on this board recently honestly breaks my heart. Of course we need immigration reform, there are people who are here illegally. But guess what, there are people here legally who break laws too and amazingly enough they aren't all Mexican!

Guest LadyC

what, in this thread, has been harsh or discriminating against mexicans? personally i think this is an issue that goes beyond mexicans, it's about illegal immigration period. but the focus in this thread is specifically about mexicans because of a protest going on on his campus right now. my response, however, was all-inclusive and not limited to any ethnicity.

there isn't harshness against mexicans in general going on in ANY of the threads. there is harshness against those who willfully break the law to get here.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I never said harshness in this thread, I said on this board. Take a sweeping look over the U.S. News forum and all you see is "Mexican" this or "Mexican" that. As you well know, this is a sensitive issue and other topics just like this one have been closed (per your specific request). So, like I said, the issue has been beaten to death and is beginning to REALLY lack racial sensitivity.

Guest LadyC

i agree the topic is beaten to death, but that is a reflection of what is going on in current events. turn on the news channel of your choice and you'll see the issue is raging in america because of the protests going on against any sort of reform that doesn't reward breaking laws.

and i have done more than a sweeping glance in the US news threads. the harshness is NOT against hispanics like you claim, it is against illegal immigration and those that encourage it. illegal immigrants of mexican descent are the ones currently doing the majority of protesting so of course the focus is naturally drawn to that border.

and the thread that was closed per my request was not done as a favor to me. nor was it done in response to any "harshness against mexicans".

the thread was closed down because some people were making accusations of racism and bigotry where none existed over and over ad nauseum. in other words, the thread got locked down after i reported the blatant violation of forum rules.

"I have nothing against Mexico or the people of Mexico. But if they come over illegally that's their risk."

Guest Cephas
what, in this thread, has been harsh or discriminating against mexicans? personally i think this is an issue that goes beyond mexicans, it's about illegal immigration period. but the focus in this thread is specifically about mexicans because of a protest going on on his campus right now. my response, however, was all-inclusive and not limited to any ethnicity.

there isn't harshness against mexicans in general going on in ANY of the threads. there is harshness against those who willfully break the law to get here.

It amazes me that all the people who want to encourage, support and justify illegal immigrants seem to want to turn it into a debate about racism, while the people opposing illegal immigration tend to keep it focused on the real issue. Racism claims are nothing but a smoke screen to force people's attention away from the real issue (and also to cloud the real problem so more illegals can stay here and be rewarded with citizenship)

Let's be clear, the issue IS Illegal Immigrants OF ANY RACE, CREED, COLOR, NATIONALITY, place of origin, Religion, etc. It is not solely a Mexican issue, despote the fact that they are the ones creating the biggest Ballyhoo over it. Illegal is Illegal, which means LAW BREAKER, no matter how you word it or candy coat it. They are hurting those who are here legally, citizens and Legal Immigrants alike. They are costing ALL of us, and who knows how many terrorists have infiltrated the nation as well with our lax borders and immigration control efforts. It's time to do something and eliminate the problem.

Employer penalties are ONE answer, but not the sole answer, there are those sneaking into the nation for reasons other than employment, so increased border security and patrol methods are also required.

It's NOT a RACE issue!!!