IGNORED

How far should we discuss the Bible with unbelievers?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I just think it's important to remember that there is power in the Word of God beyond our human capabilities and the Holy Spirit can succeed where we fail. Maybe someone we confuse with a complex analysis of the bible will be motivated to ask questions about the bible in their own lives. Maybe the Spirit of God can use that experience to teach them that the bible is more complex than a bunch of tired cliches... who knows? I think it is beneficial to focus on the work of the Holy Spirit when evangelizing... When someone comes to know Christ it's not because of us, it's because of the Holy Spirit working in that person.

That said praying for discernment, staying in the Word and chatting about it with other Christians is great too!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

David I agree with you. The Word is clear: the carnal mind cannot understand the things of the spirit and the god of this world has blinded their eyes to the truth. What we can share with them is the principles of the truth in God's Word and allow our relationship with God to minister to them. The word of our testimony is far more effective.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Sometimes I am simply too analytical...and I may be in danger of being just that here on this post. But as a general rule in the past, I will not engage an unbeliever in what feels like a debate that is hopeless because they are spiritually blind. I just answer questions with questions. I believe Jesus often used frustration as a teaching method. He didn't give all the answers and never argued you might have notice as I have. When they begin grappling with my questions that I keep offering, they then begin asking me for the answers, but even then I will not take them beyond the depravity of man and the sufficency of Christ until we find agreement on that alone. My experience is they want to argue about things that are critical of the church or preachers, etc... And we end up talking about things that they have no grasp of anyway or that were simply decoys to feel better about themselves but put the church down. Do you agree with my approach or can you help me see it different?

You know I think this is a good point. What happens is many unbelievers don't want to talk about the obvious truth's in their life or in the world, so they will deflect and all of a sudden we are talking abortion or gay sex or televangalists. This gives them a sense of comfort and complacency and actually can take their eyes away from the cross.

I agree David the first step in anyone coming to Christ is a recognition of the need for Christ in their life and in the life of the world, if people honestly don't understand the need for a Savior, they obviously are not going to understand our very detailed doctrinal views, that even we as a corporate body of Christians don't all agree on. So the Gospel of Christ must come first, the basic Gospel.

A common thing is for unbelievers to often want to debate about the foibles of organized Christianity, and of course we give them plenty of ammunition, but the fact is the Gospel stands alone and alone has the power to save, thus sometimes our main job is to simply get out of the way, and let the Gospel work. Look at the debates on this board with unbelievers, it rarely is about the basic Gospel, it is usually about some aspect of Christian thought that the unbeliever has a problem with. Thus in general I don't engage unbelievers in debate about the details of our doctrines, sharing the Gospel for me is the key.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/18/1961

Though I have known there is a God most of my life, I am only a toddler learning to stand firmly on the ground the Lord is preparing for me. Throughout my life I was always the "chatty" one never at a loss for words, it is no surprise to me that the Lord has taken the bridling of my tongue as a major area for transformation in my life today, and thankfully too , because in my zeal to win souls to Christ I have learned that many words will flow from my lips. I believe with all my heart that when I pray I am talking to God, and when I am in His Word I am listening to God. In the challenge to bridle my tongue that I may be of purpose to the Lord I have recognised that my feasting in His Word is kinda like insurance for those days when I run into an unbeliever. I close my eyes and just say Your words Lord not mine..and then share a message of experience, hope and strength as I have found it in the Lord. While I am chatting them up I will hear verses, proverbs, Psalms, and parables flow freely and I dont say 'its in the Bible' God will show them when they are ready and til thn I will do my best in Christ to water the soil.