• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/09/1982

Jesus commanded: "...go and make disciples of all nations,..." (Mark 16:15)

He also said: "If you love me you will obey my commands." (John 14:15)

and "no one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6)

But why does He want us to go and make disciples?

Why does He want us to take this command to heart?

Why do we need to be fishers of men?

I know God desires to have a family of sons and daughters all in the likeness and image of Christ, but why did Christ leave it to us?

Look, it is my desire to tell the world about our wonderful, awesome Father and His love for us, the love He displayed though our brother, Jesus Christ.

But I've asked myself this question and I can't seem to find an answer. Say I was a non-believer or a new born Christian asking you this question, what would you have told me?

Maybe I know the answer and overlooked it and just need to hear it from someone else.

God Bless you all!!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Juan,

God didn't leave it up to us - He just asks us to participate. No one can come to Jesus unless the Father draws them. Also, witnessing doesn't always save - it sometimes condemns the listener when they reject the gospel.

Mark

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

First, let's define "disciple". A disciple is someone who is learning, and more than that is putting into practice the training from a master. As a disciple of Christ, with the goal of becoming like Him, I need to be learning some specific things. First, I need to be learning my Master's Words. As I fill my heart and mind with His Truth, I am more and more ready to face whatever comes in life.

Second, I need to be learning my Master's Ways. Only by putting into practice the "What Would Jesus Do" mindset will I become effective as a Christian. Even gifted athletes must develop and hone their skills if they would succeed, and so must we.

Third, I need to be doing my Master's Will. You mentioned a Scripture that speaks to that, and there are many more. Christian training is never complete until we reproduce. Too many churches and christians out there are content to be keepers of aquariums, when we have a higher and much more exciting call.

Someone interested in the martial arts can find multitudes of books, videos, magazines on the subject. He might even begin to teach himself some of the basics in that way, but odds are he will never be adept unless he submits himself to a master. In the same way, a convert will never be adept or effective until he becomes a disciple, and part of that discipleship is passing on what you have learned.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  75
  • Birthday:  09/13/1962

First, let's define "disciple". A disciple is someone who is learning, and more than that is putting into practice the training from a master. As a disciple of Christ, with the goal of becoming like Him, I need to be learning some specific things. First, I need to be learning my Master's Words. As I fill my heart and mind with His Truth, I am more and more ready to face whatever comes in life.

Second, I need to be learning my Master's Ways. Only by putting into practice the "What Would Jesus Do" mindset will I become effective as a Christian. Even gifted athletes must develop and hone their skills if they would succeed, and so must we.

Third, I need to be doing my Master's Will. You mentioned a Scripture that speaks to that, and there are many more. Christian training is never complete until we reproduce. Too many churches and christians out there are content to be keepers of aquariums, when we have a higher and much more exciting call.

Someone interested in the martial arts can find multitudes of books, videos, magazines on the subject. He might even begin to teach himself some of the basics in that way, but odds are he will never be adept unless he submits himself to a master. In the same way, a convert will never be adept or effective until he becomes a disciple, and part of that discipleship is passing on what you have learned.

Very well put. :noidea:

God didn't leave it up to us - He just asks us to participate. No one can come to Jesus unless the Father draws them.

I seem to come across this verse alot lately!

It is written is John 6:44, correct?

John6:44-45 (NIV): "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from Him comes to me."

The note on v.44 in the NIV Study Bible says "People do not come to Christ strictly on their own initiative; the Father draws them."

Let us help each other here!

The way we know the heart of the Father, would you say He wants to draw all people to Him? After all, He created all of us. Do you think He created some to go to hell? That's not the love of the Father I know!

Secondly, according to v.45 all will be taught by God. Will that be in the last day, OR because God lives in us through the Holy Spirit, all will be thaught by God BUT through us (His children) ???

Thirdly, Jesus said "No one CAN come..."

and "Everyone who LISTENS...AND LEARNS..."

Don't you think that if we commit to preaching the Good News, the oppertunity is there for everyone to HEAR, thus unleashing the Holy Spirit to convict those of their sin (the drawing part from God) and leaving them with the choice whether they'll LISTEN AND LEARN and come to Jesus, or not?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Juan,

Maybe you should just let it go at - God draws whom He will and trust Him.

Read the rest of my post, which said, "... Also, witnessing doesn't always save - it sometimes condemns the listener when they reject the gospel." Don't trap yourself into historical arguments - they are very limiting. Take the scriptures and think about them directly. How ever God sorts us out, we know: He demands our participation, He does the saving, and we cannot approach Him until we are draw to Him. It might be that He allows the possibility that all men can be drawn to Him - I believe that.

Mark

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  97

Juan,

Maybe you should just let it go at - God draws whom He will and trust Him.

Read the rest of my post, which said, "... Also, witnessing doesn't always save - it sometimes condemns the listener when they reject the gospel." Don't trap yourself into historical arguments - they are very limiting. Take the scriptures and think about them directly. How ever God sorts us out, we know: He demands our participation, He does the saving, and we cannot approach Him until we are draw to Him. It might be that He allows the possibility that all men can be drawn to Him - I believe that.

Mark

Mark, thank God it is possible. If Jesus Christ is lifted up higher and higher, God will draw all men unto Himself. But only Jesus, no more no less; no Marys, no Peters, no Pauls, no Josephs, no Sto. Ninyos, no Black Nazarene, etc. except JESUS CHRIST ALONE. :noidea:

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself. John 12:32

Let us forsake the rest and lift only JESUS up if we truly care for the salvation of all men. :)

Edited by germanJoy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  1

We should make disciples becuase it is what we are commanded to do

THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH!

I really appreciate your openness towards this. Isn't it glorious how God goes to work?

Many times I see a verse on the top of this forum that says how wonderful it is when brothers dwell together.

God Bless you all!!!

All glory to God and Him alone!