3in1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

was wondering if anyone has read this book by Donald Miller. its a great read and he is a great writer. :emot-hug:

what else are you guys/gals reading that others may want to know about?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

the first chapter is amazing!

and that's all i've read cause i havn't bought the book. i read the first chapter off the guys webpage...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

the first chapter is amazing!

and that's all i've read cause i havn't bought the book. i read the first chapter off the guys webpage...

and it only gets better!! ive bought several copies for folks around my way. i really recommend it.. like means anything :emot-highfive: ... seriously, its an awesome book!!

• 5 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I just read this book yesterday. I had heard several people recommend it and have read several references to it by various other authors and leaders. I don't have alot of time right now, but I'll add a few thoughts. First, I think Donald Miller is a very entertaining and gifted writer. I highly enjoyed his writing style and at points was laughing out loud he was so funny. However...his theology has troubled me greatly. Not only that, I found him to be extremely self-absorbed and shallow. I lost count of the number of times he referred to his feelings, how he felt about certain things, or judged things based on his personal experience with them. He never once appealed to Scripture as his authority to justify anything, and declared the Christian faith as something mostly undefinable and somewhat vague. The whole book amounts to christian existentialism at it's finest (which isn't a compliment). His basic encouragement for other believers is to abandon any hope of understanding God or being able to communicate your faith, and simply dive into "wonder" and mysticism. Francis Schaeffer warned about theology such as this, and we would all do well to take heed.

Brilliant writer though he may be, Donald Miller should not be taken seriously or trusted for sound doctrine or wisdom. I think we can enjoy the book for some of his insights and appreciate his creativity with words, but we need to realize that much of what he is advocating is "spirituality" and mysticism, not biblical Christianity as defined by God.