• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1983

I believe many christians feel a strong antipathy to my religion because they don't fully undrestand islam. There is an Arab proverb which says : " Man is the enemy of what he ignores". So, this is a good opportunity to that end. what do you think?

Hi Mo'

Welcome!

Actually, I think the antipathy comes not from a misunderstanding of islam, but more from being blown up and kidnapped by it's followers.

Thus, perhaps a modern day version of the proverb could read as such:

"Man is the enemy of what blows him up, cuts off his head, or kidnaps him"

Perhaps you have a point, though. Maybe there is a bit of misunderstanding out there. Y' see, we keep hearing that islam is a peaceful religion, but what we see in practice, at least by the leaders of the countries which are adherents to islam, is quite a different story altogether.

So, in that sense, I don't quite understand it.

Perhaps you could explain where I am misunderstanding things?

Have a blessed day!

t.

whoa, buddy! let's not forget the bloody history of christendom.

Killing unbelievers was actually declared by popes Leo IV and John VIII to be spiritually beneficial for Christian soldiers: Their sins could be erased if they killed in defense of the Church. In the year 1095, Pope Urban II launched the First Crusade, urging European leaders to rescue the Christian holy lands from their non-Christian occupiers. He referred to the Muslims who then controlled Palestine as an "unclean nation" that had polluted Christian holy places. Killing Muslims became itself a form of penance for Christians for remission of their sins. Moral rules governing the conduct of war were abandoned, and unlimited tactics were permitted. No one was immune from attack by Christian crusaders; whole cities were slaughtered. (Halsall)
(quoted from here).

that sounds pretty familiar. the religion we are identified with has a pretty nasty history: Crusades, the Inquisition, Catholic vs. Protestant wars/violence, 'Christian' Hitler's terror and the Holocaust, the Salem witch trials.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

the bloody history of christendom

does not exist.

does not exist.

i'm sorry? you deny that the historical acts i mentioned ever happened?

Guest smilez2

Muslims actually believe in the old testament of the bible and most muslims are not going around blowing themselves up in the name of allah I've read the quran Mo so I do have an understanding of your faith Most people only view of muslims is what they see on television which for teh most part are extremists and women covered from head to toe with not even a glimpse of thier eyes antipathy no is thier misunderstanding for many people yes honestly I had no desire to read the quran until I met a friend of mine because I had stereotypes and misconceptions about muslims do I agree with your religion no I believe the only way to salvation is through jesus christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

pamjane brings up great points, ones which are often applied to Christianity.

Perhaps this is something which the muslims believe about us, as well?

Regardless, I was addressing a comment made by mohammad99 in that he felt like there was antipathy toward his religion because, perhaps, we didn't understand it fully.

I simply said that perhaps the antipathy was caused by getting blown up by it's followers, rather than a misunderstanding of islam itself. Am I wrong?

As well, I hold antipathy toward wicca because it is against what the Bible teaches, but yet, they blow no one up.

So, in reality, I hold islam, and all other religions, to task because it does not line up with what Christ teaches.

I was just saying that people may hold antipathy against islam because some of it's adherents blow kids up, teach their children how to be suicide bombers, cut the heads off of those they capture for effect, and a host of other things, rather than a simple misunderstanding of islam itself.

Either way, I don't think I'm that far off the mark, am I?

If I was to sit down and read the koran (again) for a better understanding of it, would it change how some of it's followers and it's leaders act?

t.

pamjane brings up great points, ones which are often applied to Christianity.

Perhaps this is something which the muslims believe about us, as well?

Regardless, I was addressing a comment made by mohammad99 in that he felt like there was antipathy toward his religion because, perhaps, we didn't understand it fully.

I simply said that perhaps the antipathy was caused by getting blown up by it's followers, rather than a misunderstanding of islam itself. Am I wrong?

As well, I hold antipathy toward wicca because it is against what the Bible teaches, but yet, they blow no one up.

So, in reality, I hold islam, and all other religions, to task because it does not line up with what Christ teaches.

I was just saying that people may hold antipathy against islam because some of it's adherents blow kids up, teach their children how to be suicide bombers, cut the heads off of those they capture for effect, and a host of other things, rather than a simple misunderstanding of islam itself.

Either way, I don't think I'm that far off the mark, am I?

If I was to sit down and read the koran (again) for a better understanding of it, would it change how some of it's followers and it's leaders act?

t.

okay. thanks, ted, for explaining your comment more. i'm sorry to have come back at you with the tone i used.

• Content Count:  211

Hi Mohammed, I have five questions:

1) Do Muslims use the Old Testament along with the Koran... or just the Koran?

2) Does the Koran says in it's scriptures that is is the divine word of God? (same claim christians make about the bible)

3) Do Muslims believe the Koran to be innerrant?

4) Do Muslims think the New Testament is a work of men or satanic in nature?

5) Do Muslims think people of other faiths (or none at all) can go to heaven too if they behave ethically in this life; or is it exclusive like Christianity, basing one's final destination upon what you belief rather than how you act?

Thanks

Edited by anti-hillbilly

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

does not exist.

i'm sorry? you deny that the historical acts i mentioned ever happened?

I certainly do. They are fantasy, like Alice in Wonderland.

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Perhaps this thread should be focused on our guest, Mohammed. Hopefully, he will be back to reply to this thread.

Mohammed: I am extremely happy to see a Muslim visit our website. Thank you for being willing to share your heart with us.

It is always best when people come together in the spirit of friendship and understanding.

As Christians, our best witness is a "living one". I hope you are made to feel welcome and not afraid to share your thoughts with us.

I met a taxi driver earlier this year. His name was Mohammed also...and we spent hours in his taxi discussing our respective faiths....and our conversation was filled with gentleness and peace. I was greatly suprised to hear him share with me the remarkable differences among Muslims.

He personally had NO animosity towards Christians and Jews at all....but felt very differently from some Muslims who have violent ambitions.

He explained to me that many of his fellow Muslims are swept away by subversive groups whose focus was more centered on the Haddith rather than the Koran itself. This can cause many divisions among Muslims, including the ones who cause violence and destruction (I.e. Wahabe, for instance).

Mohammed, I worked in missions in Muslim country and lived and worked among Muslims. I became their FRIEND first. And yes, indeed...they want you to be their friend...to understand them, their culture and how they live and work. We must be "people first" before anyone can hear or listen to us.

I learned about their foods (and how I couldn't order Pizza unless it was halal (non-pork) . I experienced Eid al Fitri and the experience of gift giving and the season of Ramadan.

I remember watching people eagerly watching their watches to see when 6 o'clock would come so they could break their fast and enjoy their evening meal during Ramadam. I remember developing relationships with Muslims...and learned that it is only through kindness and friendship that we will first cultivate mutual understanding.

With some people groups, peace is not possible. With others, their is a spirit of friendship and willingness to learn about one other.

What I have learned is that Muslims are like any other people on earth...all people want to heard and understood on a personal level. They want to be treated with kindness and respect.

There's nothing overly spiritual about this...it's human nature. We're people with basic human needs.

Mohammed, again, may you feel richly welcomed here.

Cats :24:

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Yes, Mohammed, welcome! I hope to hear(or read)more from you! :emot-handshake: