TheProcess

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  487
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I take this to be a reference to Jesus' transfiguration and ascension!

Christians seem to have a few different interpretations of what the verses are about. This is rather strange, as the verses obviously connect with Matthew 24/25.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. - second coming/judgement -

Mat 16:28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." - ascention -

Firstly, what justification do you have to split the verses and claim that they are talking about different events?

Anyway, lets look at only the second verse:

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. (Matthew 16:28 KJV)

And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. (Mark 9:1 KJV)

There are three elements which connect with Matthew 24/25. (And parallel verses in the synoptic gospels.)

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. (Matthew 24:30 KJV)

So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. (Luke 21:31 KJV)

How many elements connect with the Ascension?

Even if you go by only the second verse, it is still connecting with Matthew 24/25. And what basis do you have to split the verses and say that they are talking about different events?

Well...He has to GET to His Kingdom before they can understand that He is going To RETURN!

Well...He has to GET to His Kingdom before they can understand that He is going To RETURN!

What point are you trying to make?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/26/1948

No wonder the prophetic gift is so maligned today when even Jesus is questioned. Do we substantiate our faith by believing or by disbelieving?

How can Jesus be a false anything?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Just so you know -

:rolleyes: LK isn't a Christian.

No wonder the prophetic gift is so maligned today when even Jesus is questioned.

Why shouldn't we question whether Jesus was a real prophet? The Bible provides a criteria by which we can judge supposed prophets:

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him. But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. (Deuteronomy 18:18-22 KJV)

The Bible doesn't tell us that we should simply have faith when someone claims to speak for God. The Bible tells us that we can judge them on the criteria of whether their prophecies come true. So it seems to be a Biblical instruction that we judge Jesus on this issue to see if he really speaks for God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Give me a break! I am sick at heart reading about my Jesus being maligned. Why do you do this? Does it build your ego?

Jesus is Christ is who He says He is... Hallelujah! He loves you and I with a love that no one can fathom. He took all of our sins upon Himself so we don't have to bear the punishment for them. Who do you know that can love like that?

Who do people think they are to judge Jesus? HE IS THE JUDGE!

Edited by Floatingaxe

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Give me a break! I am sick at heart reading about my Jesus being maligned. Why do you do this? Does it build your ego?

Jesus is Christ is who He says He is... Hallelujah! He loves you and I with a love that no one can fathom. He took all of our sins upon Himself so we don't have to bear the punishment for them. Who do you know that can love like that?

So, in other words, he just "is"? We should believe without questioning?

Why would God supposedly give us powers of reasoning and questioning and allow us to use that quite acceptably to further mankind, but then ask us to suspend that when it comes to reflecting on him?

The Bible doesn't tell us that we should simply have faith when someone claims to speak for God. The Bible tells us that we can judge them on the criteria of whether their prophecies come true. So it seems to be a Biblical instruction that we judge Jesus on this issue to see if he really speaks for God.

Well my bible tells me just that....

1Pe 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: 1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 1Pe 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see [him] not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, [even] the salvation of [your] souls.

Heb 11:6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Sorry but the entrance exam to God is to simply believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that seek Him. If you cannot get by the introduction then the book will be meaningless to you.

Edited by Mazinaw

So, in other words, he just "is"? We should believe without questioning?

Why would God supposedly give us powers of reasoning and questioning and allow us to use that quite acceptably to further mankind, but then ask us to suspend that when it comes to reflecting on him?

Paul spoke to the unbelievers in Athens on Mars Hill.

Act 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, [Ye] men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

Act 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Act 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Act 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by [that] man whom he hath ordained; [whereof] he hath given assurance unto all [men], in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Act 17:32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this [matter].

Act 17:33 So Paul departed from among them.

Act 17:34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which [was] Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

Reason away!

Edited by Mazinaw