IGNORED

The ABC's of Interpretation

EricH

I think you may have left something out that is important
:blink:

:24:

Oh Yeah Huh!

The Heart Of The LORD!

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
Jeremiah 31:3

The Gideons International Put A Help In the Front Of Their Ministry Bibles.

This Helps To Set My Mind On The Lord When I Open His Word.

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter. Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgement, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

http://www.gideons.org/

:24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

4. If a passage implies a truth, it may only be considered Biblical if related passages support the truth (Hebrews 6).

Excellent point.

This goes along with the fact that every important truth is confirmed by repetition

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

"The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook"

General Principles

1. As you study, work knowing that the Bible is authoritative

2. Let the Bible interpret itself (Scripture explains Scripture).

3. The Holy Spirit

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sevenxseventy

All words of God are truth. There can be nothing else. God cannot author anything but truth.

Interpretation of The Bible is best left to The Bible itself! A man does not exist that is capable of interpreting God's word for himself and doing so accurately. The Bible tells us how to study. "Line upon line. Line upon line. Pretext upon pretext. Here a little and there a little."

Proper understanding comes with studying under the guidance of The Holy Spirit. We must open our studies prayerfully asking for guidance and understanding, that The Holy Spirit lead us. Of course, it is also necessary that we leave the learned teachings of scholars and theologians behind so as not to cloud the truth with errant suppositions and lies.

Prayerfully ask for a study partner who is also interested in studying the bible and the bible only. Few protestants actually believe the bible and bible only, even though they profess that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rapturebound
:cool: Hello! I'm new on here. But as for interpretation - well, Jesus only ever used scripture in context - it was only the devil who used it out context (I ws thinking of the temptations).

I always wish there was more 'good eduction' of scripture (for want of a better phrase) which can help people understand better, and also to be encouraged in their faith - after all we serve a faithful God whose word is true!

:emot-handshake:

The Word of God is multi-facited, it is like a diamond. Anyone who looks at it may see something different, but in the end it is still the same word and it all works toward the same purpose. Revelation always has to agree with God's will or you end up with religion.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

I need help understanding something. In Luke 18:18-18 the Bible says:

"And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. "

Jesus is God too, and so that makes Him good. Why would He say that He wasn't?

It is because the man came to him not recognizing that He was God. He thought he was only a "good teacher". Jesus was basically saying "If you don't think I am God, why are you attributing an attribute tp me that belongs only to God to me. If you look at the entire passage, the man's concept of what constituted goodness and obedience are messed up. He though he was good because he had obeyed some commandments. Jesus had to show him God's standards are much higher

Seems I remember another person by the name of Nicodemus Jesus was talking to he also called him good teacher JN 3:1-6 and different context but a little different answer. I really think Luke 18-18 this guy was honest and of course did not recognize him as God in the flesh but truly wanted to have eternal life. I think that if he had done exactally what Jesus said there would have been 13 disciples instead of 12. I think Jesus knew he would not sell all he had but knew this guy was honest and just but lacked one thing! Exactally as the verse says! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

"The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook"

General Principles

1. As you study, work knowing that the Bible is authoritative

2. Let the Bible interpret itself (Scripture explains Scripture).

3. The Holy Spirit

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I think this a good list of places to start when interpreting the word of God.

Although I do find a problem with one of the items listed.

7. The church does not determine what the Bible teaches; the Bible determines what the church teaches.

It is neither the church nor the Bible which determines what it teaches. It is God who determines what his word teaches. We need to be careful that we do not put the word of God above the God who spoke it. "I believe that the biggest drawback of evangelicalism is that it has begun (or has been) worshiping the Bible and not the God revealed through the Bible." Who or what do you worship.

Other than that this topic is a good start for those new to interpreting the scriptures. :P

Edited by S.A.Laffin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

the bible interprets it self if we will study it we will find there are no contridictios in it

Guest shiloh357
"I believe that the biggest drawback of evangelicalism is that it has begun (or has been) worshiping the Bible and not the God revealed through the Bible

This is a baseless and false accusation. The reasoning for this rationale you supply on your blog to support such a statement, fail to demonstrate such.