FailedChristian

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Being part of a local body is part of being a follower of Christ. People who opt out of relationship with other believers and remain outside of it tend to, over time, fall into error, as there is not anyone usually there who is able to bring correction. They tend to become a little wierd. I have seen it, and it is sad.

As error compounds into more and more error, and no correction or reproof is given, then the Christian becomes ineffective, and can be "tossed about by every wind of doctrine."

We have a responsibility to align ourselves with people of like faith in order for spiritual growth and for use in the Kingdom! That is why Paul tells us not to forsake that assembling. Why argue with that?

Yes, the church is the people of God, the called out ones. Yes, we don't need a building, but it helps us. There is nothing wrong with us coming together to corporately pray, to corporately worship God with all our hearts, and to hear what the Lord has given our shepherd to teach us. In our church, we all meet in homes throughout the week in cells, much like the NT church, and on Saturdays and Sundays, we come together to celebrate what the Lord has done and is doing! Absolutely nothing unbiblical about that. Even the early churches met in homes and leaders took time to teach, just as the people took time to humbly listen to God's Word expounded.

Likewise, people who join organized churches as members, sometimes tend toward conformity. They often fall in lockstep to the same patterns of liturgy. As a result, they also "become a little wierd" with their own Christian subculture. And what is sad in their case is that they don't realize they've "become a little wierd" because they have surrounded themselves with people who all share the same wierdness. They think that's how it's supposed to look -- just like the spelling of the word "wierd." It becomes normal for them like a family that doesn't realize how "wierd" and disfunctional their family looks to others. Then it becomes the model or standard for all fellowship. So, their error in thinking there is one way to "have church" compounds more and more. It replicates in conformity around the world until that's the way all fellowship is presumed to be done. Then they view anyone who steps outside the standard as backsliding, and they become judgmental about others living outside the standard model. As they come to believe their way of fellowship is the biblical "model," they also become closed to creating completely different models that might reach out to people who will never enter an organization. And, so, they become "ineffective" with those people. All because they insist there is one way -- the right way -- their way -- of doing things. And "it is sad." Very, very sad.

We have an opportunity, not a "responsibility," to meet with people of faith in order for spiritual growth to happen in our lives. We are encouraged to do it because our spiritual growth tends to become very ingrown, diseased and "wierd" if it happens in a vacuum. On the other hand, it tends to become very compressed and conformed if it happens in a mold, and that is equally "wierd" -- only it doesn't look weird to those inside the mold. It looks normal.

Where is the freedom?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Actually, it is both an opportunity (Praise the Lord!) and our responsibility. We are all responsible to one another, and we are responsible to come under authority. We need a covering! The Body of Christ does that very nicely! It has done since the start!

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

This is not a minor quibbling. The vast majority of Christians think you have to "go to church" -- as if it's something you go to --

:24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  314
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

You are right the church is open to everyone, but not everyone likes church. This is what I mean by church is not for everyone. I might of misunderstood the question though, If the question was "Is everyone aloud into the church, or to follow the church." My answer would simply be yes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/12/1964

Church is not for those who do not want it, and is for those that do. So therefore church is not for everyone.

If the Church is the body of Christ of which HE is the HEAD, are you saying that the Head doesnt need the body....?????

If Jesus is the groom and the Church is his bride, are you saying that the groom doesnt need the bride....???

How can you be married if youre nowhere....? and with noone...??

Regards,

ben.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Actually, it is both an opportunity (Praise the Lord!) and our responsibility. We are all responsible to one another, and we are responsible to come under authority. We need a covering! The Body of Christ does that very nicely! It has done since the start!

Well butter my back and call me a biscuit, we agree on something FloatingAxe!!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Well butter my back and call me a biscuit, we agree on something FloatingAxe!!

:emot-hug::24::24:

:24::24::blink:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Exactly! This is truth.

There is nothing in scripture that tells us our modern style is the only appropriate style....but what we do have is a command that we are to have an atuhority structure over us....and I'm assuming that the pastor and elders must know how to teach considering it is a requirement to be one.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980

Exactly! This is truth.

There is nothing in scripture that tells us our modern style is the only appropriate style....but what we do have is a command that we are to have an atuhority structure over us....and I'm assuming that the pastor and elders must know how to teach considering it is a requirement to be one.

Just where exactly is this command that you speak of in the scriptures might I asK? :13:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Exactly! This is truth.

Just where exactly is this command that you speak of in the scriptures might I asK? :13:

This topic and this topic deals with the issue.

For a direct issue, look to 1 Timothy 3.....if we are not to have sermons, then why must a pastor know how to preach?