• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

Pax, those of us who speak against certain aspects of the Catholic Church (as I have done on this board) have no desire to misrepresent what the CC teaches of believes. I was under the false impression that the

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  961
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Pax, those of us who speak against certain aspects of the Catholic Church (as I have done on this board) have no desire to misrepresent what the CC teaches of believes. I was under the false impression that the

Pax

It's nice to see a person on this board that isn't Anti-Catholic. I spend much of my time on here defending the Catholic Church and don't really mind that. I realize that most people have been taught incorrectly about the Catholic Church.

Wouldn

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Pax

It's nice to see a person on this board that isn't Anti-Catholic. I spend much of my time on here defending the Catholic Church and don't really mind that. I realize that most people have been taught incorrectly about the Catholic Church.

Wouldn

Pax

Horizon you are a smart guy, but your argument has one big flaw. You want to say that all we ever need is in the Bible, but ironically even the Bible doesn't say this. So you are going outside of the Bible to come up with this idea that all we ever need is in the Bible.

No flaw my friend. I have no problem with traditions but we must reject any

Pax

Horizon,

I'm glad you responded to my questions. I'm also glad that you call me a friend. I can remember when I first started posting on the boards, you attacked me hard. Over time you have began to soften a little.

Pax

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

horizoneast,

If you really want the facts, pick up "How the Reformation Happened" by Hilaire Belloc. Only 180 pages, but not an easy read.

Peace,

Fiosh

:blink:

horizoneast,

If you really want the facts, pick up "How the Reformation Happened" by Hilaire Belloc. Only 180 pages, but not an easy read.

Peace,

Fiosh

Thanks for the recommendation Fiosh but isn

horizoneast,

Peace,

Fiosh

Thanks for the recommendation Fiosh but isn

Horizon,

You get to attend Church at poolside and then go swimming! So do you wear your swimming suit to Church or do you dress up for Church and then change? :emot-hug: You stated above that you reject Catholic Doctrine on their merit when compared to Holy Scripture. All Catholic Doctrine will be mirrored at least implicitly in Holy Scripture. Its not like the Catholic Church decided to pull ideas out of the thin air and create doctrine. Vatican II points out that there is a one twinfold source of God's revelation to humanity. The first aspect is Sacred Tradition. This comprises the oral truths of God transmitted to the apostles and their successors under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Sacred Scripture is the other aspect of this twinfold source. Scripture comprises the divine truths of God written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Horizon you can't have one without the other.

The Deuterocanonical books, of which Maccabees are a part of are divinly inspired. They were also recognized by many early Church fathers. St. Augustine wrote about these in the early 5th century, also during the Council of Carthage in 397 they spoke of using these books in the Old Testament. Clearly these books were removed from the official cannon during the Protestant Reformation because they didn't "jive" with Luther's theology, so he threw them out. Just because the Council of Trent declared them divinely inspired in 1546 doesn't mean they weren't divinely inspired before. One of the reasons the Catholic Church holds councils is to refute Hereshy and define a present situation. During this time Luther and other Protestants were throwing books out of the Bible, so the Catholic Church addressed the situation and said, no you can't throw these books out of the Bible the are divinely inspired. I might also add, Luther wanted to remove the book of James because it speaks about works being essential to salvation, Luther didn't like that. He couldn't quite get it done.

Horizon I gotta go watch Ohio State beat Texas in football....talk to you later

Pax :wub:

Lol - I get it Pax