• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

[Note: there is a crucial distinction between veneration and worship]

Peace,

Fiosh

And that distinction would be.....?

veneration means to show devotion and respect. For example we can venerate our elderly parents.

worship is adoration and honor reserved for God alone.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73

2131 Peace,

Fiosh

Please explain this.

Sure.

Iconoclasts were those who maintained that veneration of religious images was not allowable in the Church.

The council of Nicaea stated that the veneration ( NOT worship) of icons was ok. In context, this means that I can look upon a picture and ponder the truth it represents. I can, for instance, look upon a painting of Mary holding the Baby Jesus and wonder at the mystery of the Incarnation.

The term economy comes from the Greek "oikonomia" meaning management or stewardship. Sacred images are based on the Incarnation of the Word. Since God became man, we can worship Him in the Person of Jesus Christ.

reported it for what? i posted why i am not interested in debating the merits of catholicism, and i posted why, including quotes from the catholic prayer book.

there was nothing in my post that violates any rule of this board.

Because it goes against the expressed intent of the thread, which is to promote understanding and avoid argument.

I am more than willing to defend my Church---just not here.

You are free to express your opinion freely----simply start your own thread....and invite me over.

Thank you in advance for your courtesy.

Peace,

Fiosh

:emot-wave:

You should be ready and willing to defend your faith, anytime, anywhere.

I saw nothing wrong with her post.

If what she stated is fact...why does it upset you? It is what your church believes, is it not?

Hi man,

I'm not upset.

I simply asked that the poster respect the intent of the thread. I offered to debate with her elsewhere.

In answer to your question: "It is what your church believes, is it not?"

No. It is a combination of truth and fallacy.

Peace,

Fiosh

:emot-partyblower:

The council of Nicaea stated that the veneration ( NOT worship) of icons was ok. In context, this means that I can look upon a picture and ponder the truth it represents. I can, for instance, look upon a painting of Mary holding the Baby Jesus and wonder at the mystery of the Incarnation.

The term economy comes from the Greek "oikonomia" meaning management or stewardship. Sacred images are based on the Incarnation of the Word. Since God became man, we can worship Him in the Person of Jesus Christ.

How did this council come to be? And who gave them authority over the Word of God?

veneration means to show devotion and respect. For example we can venerate our elderly parents.

Look up "worship", you find "veneration".

Look up "veneration", you find "worship".

The words have the same meaning.

Peace,

Fiosh

Which is true and which is false?

Look up "worship", you find "veneration".

Look up "veneration", you find "worship".

The words have the same meaning.

Words have many meanings. We use them as I indicated. We worship God alone.

How did this council come to be? And who gave them authority over the Word of God?

The Seventh Ecumenical Council of the Catholic Church, was held in 787 in response to the Iconoclastic heresy.

Councils do not have "authority over the Word of God". They interpret the Word of God, much like the Supreme Court is meant to interpret the Constitution.

Peace,

Fiosh

Which is true and which is false?

As far as I can tell, most of the prayer excerpts are accurate, although there are a few I'm not familiar with.

The statement that Catholics believe that Mary was sinless and a perpetual virgin are accurate.

The conclusion that these statements are contradictory is false.

The statement that " catholics do not believe that the Bible is complete enough to stand on its own merit." is misleading.

The assertion that " they worship mary as a diety" is completely false. It would be heresy in the RCC.

(edited by Moderator)

Thanks for asking.

:emot-wave:

The Seventh Ecumenical Council of the Catholic Church, was held in 787 in response to the Iconoclastic heresy.

Councils do not have "authority over the Word of God". They interpret the Word of God, much like the Supreme Court is meant to interpret the Constitution.

Which verse did they use concerning the veneration of "icons"?