• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Greetings brothers and sisters in Christ,

My intent with this thread is NOT to proselytize or convert.

Simply put, I wish to offer accurate information concerning the teaching of the RCC in order to promote understanding.

Many times here at WB I've seen gross misrepresentations of what I supposedly believe as a Catholic Christian. :24:

I certainly can understand that many of you disagree with the RCC, and I respect your opinion. But I would at least like to offer you the opportunity to disagree with the actual doctrines of the RCC and not what others claim them to be.

All resident Catholics are invited to respond to the questions. But, I would ask several things:

1. NO personal OPINIONS. Respond with verifiable info from the Catechism, Vatican II docs, Early Church Fathers and other approved RCC sources.

2. NO apologetics. I refuse to argue "right or wrong" on this thread. If anyone desires to discuss any particular doctrine, start a new thread and I'll gladly meet you there.

3. NO bashing from either side. Can we keep it friendly? :24:

I will ask the mods to delete any post from either "camp", including my own, that is not presented in a Christian manner.

I have no ulterior motive. Jesus prayed that we all be one. It truly saddens me that we are often so far apart. Yet, I will not compromise what I believe; and I don't expect you do compromise your beliefs. But maybe we can come to at least recognize that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, trying to follow and serve Him with sincere hearts. :emot-hug:

If the mods won't allow this discussion, I'll respect that. I only ask that they prayerfully consider it, as I have done. :24:

So..............

Go ahead, ask any question you like about what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. :(

Peace,

Fiosh

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Okay, I'm game:

Please explain to me the religious significance of taking on a saint's name.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

Hey Fiosh,

I works side by side with a Catholic, so this should be fun. We are great friends but as far as religion and politics go, we have almost nothing in common.

My most obvious question for you would be: "Why do you continue with what seem to be OT laws, i.e.: priests, ceremonial stuff, and do you all pray directly to God or always go through the Priest."?

Sabra

Okay, I'm game:

Please explain to me the religious significance of taking on a saint's name.

Hi Floatingaxe (interesting name by the way; I had to look up the Scripture passage)

I'll assume you mean when we are confirmed. If not, please correct me.

Before being confirmed, we are asked to consider which saint has qualities that we would like to imitate in our own lives.

For instance, I may admire the dedication of John to Jesus----being present at the Crucifixion at great risk to his own life. Or the boldness of Paul, who suffered much for the Gospel. As a woman, I might admire Mary Magdalene for her persistence in searching for Jesus after His death, burial and resurrection.

The saints serve as models of how to live as followers of Christ.

Thanks for your question.

Peace,

Fiosh

:(

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Thanks for your reply.

Now can you answer me why a Catholic family must provide godparents for their children? I remember years ago I learned there was something other than providing spiritual mentorship associated with this. Can you enlighten me about the practice?

Thanks for your reply.

Now can you answer me why a Catholic family must provide godparents for their children? I remember years ago I learned there was something other than providing spiritual mentorship associated with this. Can you enlighten me about the practice?

Oops. I broke my own rule and forgot to cite a reference. This refers to Baptism, but I think it supports my statement:

From the Catechism-

2156 The sacrament of Baptism is conferred "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."85 In Baptism, the Lord's name sanctifies man, and the Christian receives his name in the Church. This can be the name of a saint, that is, of a disciple who has lived a life of exemplary fidelity to the Lord. The patron saint provides a model of charity; we are assured of his intercession. The "baptismal name" can also express a Christian mystery or Christian virtue. "Parents, sponsors, and the pastor are to see that a name is not given which is foreign to Christian sentiment."

Hey Fiosh,

I works side by side with a Catholic, so this should be fun. We are great friends but as far as religion and politics go, we have almost nothing in common.

My most obvious question for you would be: "Why do you continue with what seem to be OT laws, i.e.: priests, ceremonial stuff, and do you all pray directly to God or always go through the Priest."?

Sabra

Hi wordsower,

I just spent some time in TN---gorgeous state!

RE: priests and ceremonial stuff

I'll try to keep it short.

We do it in obedience to Jesus. We believe that Jesus came to fulfill the Law not to abolish it.

Matt 5:17

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

For example....when Jesus washed the feet of the Apostles at the Last Supper, He was preparing them for priestly sacrifice ( see Exodus 30:20-21) It was not the animal sacrifice offered on the stone altar as in the Old Testament. But rather the offering of the "one, perfect Sacrifice" of Jesus Himself, back to the Father.

In the New Testament we see that Apostles were chosen for an "office"; and they appointed their successors by laying hands on them. The RCC teaches that this line is unbroken and all priests can trace their anointing back thru history to the Apostles.

RE: Do you pray directly to God...

I pray directly to God.

Thanks for your question,

Fiosh

:emot-highfive:

Post edited by moderator to remove quotes from Catchecisms

Thanks for your reply.

It is the same, I believe, as with some Protestant denoms. I recently attended the Lutheran Baptism of my niece's son. They also use godparents. And yes, you are correct. The role is one of promising to mentor the newly baptized on their walk of faith. If I remember correctly the RCC insists that only one of the godparents must be Catholic, though both must be baptized Christians.

(edited by mod)

Do you adhere to all scripture or do you pick and choose which suits you best?

Hi man,

This is one that we Catholics and most Protestants can agree on. ALL Scripture is of God. We tend to part company on some of the interpretation though, don't we? :emot-highfive: We include in our canon those Old Testament books rejected during the Reformation. I believe our New Testament is identical to that of most Protestant denoms.

(Edited by Mod)