• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey everyone,

Maybe this is again the wrong forum for this.. but... has anywhere here ever gotten "stuck in a rut" in their spiritual lives? Where it seems it doesn't go forward and it doesn't go back? Things are just kinda going and you wait for something to happen... I mean "wait" as in you keep doing what God has commanded(prayer, bible, witnessing, going to church, doing you best through Christ's strength), but you get to this point where you still dont' seem to be moving any closer to God, or any farther for that matter.

The reason I ask this is becuase this has happened so many times to me in the past and I'm wondering if anyone can relate. However, the problem comes that I always slip backwards more than I originally went forwards.... twice I have gotten to the point of hating God and my salvation, and last June the thought of trying to give it all up.... I don't want to go back there, but it happens every single time and I just don't know what to do.... It's like there is a certain little area in my spiritual life that I just can't seem to get above that... and I don't know why...

Yes, I've prayed about this.. time and time again.... but I'm afraid of going back again... back to wherever the devil would lead me becuase I know that once I take one bit of that sin.. it is head first and no returns until I hit a peculiar form of rock bottom.... and I don't want that I again... I need help... I don't want to give up the things I love, but when I get at the point of being "stuck in a rut".. how often I take my eyes off God.. and how often I test that sin that I swear to God every time never to go back to... like a dog to its vomit as the bible says....

please... help..

Crystal :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

What sin are you talking about, dear?

The sin is one of which I know there is a way out.... I know how to deal with that sin so it isn't so much the issue, but more or less the consequence of the issue... the issue being that I get to this poitn in my spirital life where I am moving nowhere, and then I always turn back to the things of this life and look at the things of the world.. like Lot looking to Sodom and Gommarah when given the choice by Moses...

Yes, I've prayed about this.. time and time again.... but I'm afraid of going back again... back to wherever the devil would lead me becuase I know that once I take one bit of that sin.. it is head first and no returns until I hit a peculiar form of rock bottom.... and I don't want that I again... I need help... I don't want to give up the things I love, but when I get at the point of being "stuck in a rut".. how often I take my eyes off God.. and how often I test that sin that I swear to God every time never to go back to... like a dog to its vomit as the bible says....

please... help..

Crystal :wub:

I know what mean and where you're coming from. It sucks. I believe in God, I know who Christ is and what He did for me, but there are days when the past looks so inviting. There are things that I gave up that were a very big part of my life, now they're gone. But every once in awhile I look back and I can actually physically feel the need to have that thing back in my life. I haven't stepped over that line for a very long time and if all goes well, I never will.

I agree with you about hitting rock bottom. You get so caught up with what you're doing that you don't think about what you're doing, and before you know it, you've fallen so deep into the well that you wonder if you'll ever be able to get back out, or even if you want too. I've been in that situation many times, and for me there's nothing worst then the shame I feel and the guilt that goes with, when I know I've dishonored myself in front of God. I can't even explain how bad it feels.

But like I said, I'm doing good right now, I don't think about tomorrow because tomorrow might not come. I don't believe in OSAS, so there's a chance I could very well end up with the goats. That would truly be a nightmare, and it's those thoughts that are keeping me from stepping over that line.

I take my walk one day at a time. At times it's a struggle. He never said it was easy. But I know if I keep my eyes facing forward, He will be there when I need Him. He said He would never forsake me and so far He hasn't. Even when I get so wrapped up in the world and have no idea what I'm doing, He's always there to pull me back. He's always found a way to tap me on the shoulder and say "hey, get back over here". I don't know why He does this for me, but He does. Out of all the countless multitudes in the world, He chose me. It is something I will never understand.

But yeah kiddo, I know what you're saying. It sucks and I wish there was something I could tell you to make it all go away. But remember this, you are not alone. Most people struggle with this, they just can't bring themselves to talk about it.

So yeah....that's about all I have to say for now. Like I said, I wish there was something I could say...sorry.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/22/1965

There was a theologian who stated that he loved the idea of playing the piano, but hadn't stuck with the lessons when he was young. So as an adult he really wanted to play Chopin, but didn't have the prerequisite skills. So he got a teacher. The teacher instructed him in the method of rudimentary playoing, but he was impatient. When he finally decided to do the ground work, and do the necessary step by step learning, he made progress. But....he needed that teacher. Maybe what you need to do is find a trusted mentor, and in unison work through this problem. If the sin is one that you can overcome, but just feel blase about your walk with God, then maybe mix it up a little bit. Go to the beach at sunrise/sunset to remind you of the Lords awesome power, go to the mountains to remember the majesty that is our Lord. Read the psalms for comfort and poetry. Whatever the resulting activity, ask the Lord to guide you. The answers don't come in our time, and maybe that is the lesson that is being taught to you. Just some suggestions. Hope it works out, and I'll pray for you :wub:

Edited by Prodigalson123

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/07/1949

Hey everyone,

Maybe this is again the wrong forum for this.. but... has anywhere here ever gotten "stuck in a rut" in their spiritual lives? Where it seems it doesn't go forward and it doesn't go back? Things are just kinda going and you wait for something to happen... I mean "wait" as in you keep doing what God has commanded(prayer, bible, witnessing, going to church, doing you best through Christ's strength), but you get to this point where you still dont' seem to be moving any closer to God, or any farther for that matter.

The reason I ask this is becuase this has happened so many times to me in the past and I'm wondering if anyone can relate. However, the problem comes that I always slip backwards more than I originally went forwards.... twice I have gotten to the point of hating God and my salvation, and last June the thought of trying to give it all up.... I don't want to go back there, but it happens every single time and I just don't know what to do.... It's like there is a certain little area in my spiritual life that I just can't seem to get above that... and I don't know why...

please... help..

Crystal :thumbsup:

My Dear Crystal.

First of all let me say that the experiences that you are going through are not unique to you alone, we all go through times of testing as our great God prepares us for further service.

As truster said earlier on in this thread you are in the "Slough of despondency" and I have been there many times myself.

I have been a Christian for 35 years, a Deacon in my local chrch for 15 years, a youth leader for 5 years, and for the last 20 years I have fronted a Christian counter-cult ministry teaching Christians how to share their faith with those enslaved by the cults and the occult. In that time I have seen Jehovah's Witnesses come to Christ and people delivered from occult practices but do you know what? I ask myself is it enough Lord? Why do I feel sometimes that I am making no headway?

I can't say that I have got to the point of hating God like you, neither can I say I have been on the point of giving it all up, because where would I go to? (only you have the words of eternal life). But I don't judge you for that. God knows your heart Crystal and your motives, and when He sees the smallest glow in one of His Children's lifes, He gently blows on it so eventually it will burst forth into flame providing the light to lead others unto Himself.

What I can assure you of is that He is faithfull and will never leave you or forsake you, that fact I have proved in my Christian life many times.

What I want to do is ask you to read the following story of H.G.Spafford the Hymn-writer.

It Is Well With My Soul

In 1873, the French liner,

"It is well with my soul"

Luk 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

"I have decided, to follow Jesus, No turning back, no turning back."

Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Psa 63:1