IGNORED

The Death Penalty

Akiko

However for those are for it, I wonder how many of them would volunteer to give the injection or throw the switch, of even witness an execution.?

I would depending on what they did. If it were the Carr brothers I'd have no problem and in fact would ask to have the honor of doing such a thing.

Why should it depend on who they are and what they did? They were found guilty and sentenced to death. You would be executing righteous judgement on this individual, because as you say, God demands it.

To say it depends on what they did or who they are, hints at killing out of revenge. You should be willing to step up and throw that switch regardless of who is strapped to the table.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

However for those are for it, I wonder how many of them would volunteer to give the injection or throw the switch, of even witness an execution.?

I would depending on what they did. If it were the Carr brothers I'd have no problem and in fact would ask to have the honor of doing such a thing.

Why should it depend on who they are and what they did? They were found guilty and sentenced to death. You would be executing righteous judgement on this individual, because as you say, God demands it.

To say it depends on what they did or who they are, hints at killing out of revenge. You should be willing to step up and throw that switch regardless of who is strapped to the table.

It would also depend if they are actually guilty or not. It would also depend on if they were unlucky and didn't have OJ's defense team. Just because our flawed system says someone is guilty, does not mean that they actually did the crime, although in general I think it is pretty accurate. But when you are killing someone, "pretty accurate" is not good enough for me.

As far as expense goes, right now it is more expensive to kill someone than it is to lock them up. The reason being the insane entangled process of death row and the endless appeals. If we are going to do this thing, let

It would also depend if they are actually guilty or not. It would also depend on if they were unlucky and didn't have OJ's defense team. Just because our flawed system says someone is guilty, does not mean that they actually did the crime, although in general I think it is pretty accurate. But when you are killing someone, "pretty accurate" is not good enough for me.

As far as expense goes, right now it is more expensive to kill someone than it is to lock them up. The reason being the insane entangled process of death row and the endless appeals. If we are going to do this thing, let

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Lady C ans AK. We are all different and maybe it's just as well. Before I made my decision for Jesus.....my decision??....anyway I was right into blood sport, like deer stalking, duck shooting, wild boar hunting. ya know? kill kill,but now I haven't the heart for it. The only things I can exterminate are vermin, rats mice cockroaches and the like, but because Paul said that God doesn't approve of factions enmity or strife etc in the book of galations, I would'nt get up tight and protest vigourously wih someone who believes the DP is scriptually or morally the right thing to do. Ya get me?? :24:

:th_wave:

I understand what you're saying. The only thing I would add is I have not been nor will I ever be hunting. The reason is I cannot really see myself enjoying killing God's creation needlessly. At the same time, I have no problem with the DP (which is admittedly ironic) because the person has often times killed in the most brutal fashion to the most undeserving person.

I understand what you are saying though.

You've "hit the nail on the head" AK. Your words are the strongest ever evidence that your motive for supporting the dp (and the motive of most I suspect) is most definitely REVENGE!

Yet another case of you trying to put man above God, because as we know "revenge belongs only to God".

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Quote, CallmeBernard: "The difference between an innocent person being unjustly executed and unjustly incarcerated is that of course you can always release the incarcerated innocent upon realisation of the mistake".

Now if I were the person "unjustly incarcerated" and then released, I wouldn't be very impressed. The damage would have already been done!

In fact I doubt very much if I would be able to go back into society as a "good law abiding citizen", holding a grudge as I must do in this case, against the incompetent bureaucrat and corrupt justice system that falsely convicted me. And as we all well know, government bureaucrats will go to great lengths to never admit that they could be wrong, so there would be no apology or accountability for wrong-doing from that quarter.

Conclusion: We just cannot ever afford to trust in a man-made judicial system.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

My feeling about the death penalty is that if it was used it may be a deturant. However with years of appeals and sitting on death row for sometimes over 20 years it just doesn't work. However if we could have a prison for these people where for the rest of their lives they bust rocks for 12 hours a day, have no access to TV or radio, nothing to read. They get 3 meals a day, they don't live in air conditioning, they don't have computers or anything else. They live in a 6x6 cell for the rest of their lives that just may stop a few from doing what may land them on death row. It could very well be the death penalty is just outdated. There is a prison where they are putting the terriost and for 23 hours a day they live in a 6x6 cell with NOTHING and I mean nothing. Just a cot, sink and a toilet. That to me would be worse then anything death sentance I may face.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

And, of course, the judicial fact that abolitionists never appreciate facing is that far more innocent people have been executed by convicted-but-not-executed murderers than the State ever killed "by mistake"! Convicted-but-not-executed killers CONTINUE to kill & REPEAT their dastardly deeds......and abolitionists say nary a peep. Why all the silence? And why give condemned murderers THREE meals daily? And why shouldn't ABOLITIONISTS be made to pay for their chosen friends' long upkeep - or is this to be considered additional hand-out by the beleagured taxpayers who call for the enactment of justice? I'm decidedly underwhelmed.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,879
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

You all make good points and they are hard to argue with. I myself do not believe in the death penalty. There are two main reasons. One) How do we know the one being trialed is really innocent. I mean Jesus was treated as if he was a terrible criminal. Yet he was innocent. Can you imagine what Mary felt seeing her beloved son die for things he didn't do? Two) These are the days of grace. How do we know that one of those men might be a great preacher one day.

Now that that is said I don't believe that they should be allowed to be free from prison. I do believe in life without parol.

I am inclined to agree with you on the death penalty. I think it is too extreme to take someone's life, in my opinion, even for the most serious crimes. I am not saying I would doggedly stick to that view, however, because I do not really know what God's will is regarding this, so I would be open to change my opinion if I had sufficient assurance of God's will.

I don't necessarily agree with life without parole, though. Except maybe for those people who would definitely commit more murders, for example, if they were let out.

The reason I don't agree with it in most cases is because, if someone knows they are locked up for ever, with no chance of release, they may be more likely to murder a fellow inmate, for example, since they would feel they have nothing to lose. (I speak primarily of UK inmates, since there is no death penalty here).

If an inmate has something to look forward to in the future, he may be more inclined to accept rehabilitation and behave himself, since he has hope that his good behaviour would result in his eventual release.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

You all make good points and they are hard to argue with. I myself do not believe in the death penalty. There are two main reasons. One) How do we know the one being trialed is really innocent. I mean Jesus was treated as if he was a terrible criminal. Yet he was innocent. Can you imagine what Mary felt seeing her beloved son die for things he didn't do? Two) These are the days of grace. How do we know that one of those men might be a great preacher one day.

Now that that is said I don't believe that they should be allowed to be free from prison. I do believe in life without parol.

I am inclined to agree with you on the death penalty. I think it is too extreme to take someone's life, in my opinion, even for the most serious crimes. I am not saying I would doggedly stick to that view, however, because I do not really know what God's will is regarding this, so I would be open to change my opinion if I had sufficient assurance of God's will.

You might skim through the topic and reference the posts I made in here, if you haven't already. Due to the expense of going to court, there must be a sufficient amount of evidence before a person is even brought to trial. There are multitudes more guilty people who go free (due to legal technicalities) than there are people who are wrongly convicted. Also, there are several Scriptures (not to mention God's overall character) that show us that God designed order, authority, and that consequences for sin are part of the ramifications of the Fall. Even if a person is convicted of a crime and sentenced to death, it will likely take decades before he/she is actually executed. If you've ever talked to someone in prison ministry or those who are closely involved with hardened criminals, they'll tell you that God's grace is not dependent upon a person's sentence. In fact, many of those who are facing the possibility of death are keenly aware of their spiritual state and are often brought to redemption in Christ while in prison. Even so, this doesn't mean grace is lost if their sentence is carried out. Suffering the consequences of our actions is part of living in a fallen world, part of how God maintains order, and oftentimes how God brings about brokenness in some people. David and the loss of his son comes to mind.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraq's High Tribunal on Sunday found Saddam Hussein guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced him to hang for the 1982 killing of 148 Shiites in the city of Dujail. The visibly shaken former leader shouted "God is great!"

Saddam's half brother and former intelligence chief Barzan Ibrahim, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of the former Revolutionary Court, were sentenced to join Saddam on the gallows for the Dujail killings after an unsuccessful assassination attempt during a Saddam visit to the city 35 miles north of Baghdad.

The death sentences automatically go to a nine-judge appeals panel which has unlimited time to review the case. If the verdicts and sentences are upheld, the executions must be carried out within 30 days.

this is only a clip click on this link to get the rest of the story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15567363/?GT1=8717