• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/opinion/7025370.html

THE prime minister's insistence that concerns about the impact of a surveillance and control ID database on civil liberties is out of step with public opinion is not borne out by the evidence.

National polls are consistently finding a majority of people opposed to compulsory national ID cards, while a recent poll of hundreds of shoppers in Glasgow found two thirds of people oppose the scheme.

Mr Blair may believe that a national ID database is an indication of "modernity", but that does not seem to carry much weight with our modern teenagers, who object to being fingerprinted and iris scanned like criminals, and having their visits to clinics recorded for all time on a database over which they have no control.

Nor do claims of modernity carry much weight with our elders who remember the abolition of war-time ID cards and the sacrifices made by so many of their generation to protect the freedoms our prime minister is eager to throw away.

When Mr Blair pauses in silence on Armistice Day, he would do well to consider just what it was that so many have fought and died for.

It was not so that we could hear cries of "papers, please!" on our city streets.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Well I'm not british, but I tend to agree with this op ed piece

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I can't imagine that its not just a matter of time for this to happen, there and here also! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,758
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  221
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

at the moment it is supposed to be confined to passports so I for one will NOT be renewing mine because there is NO WAY that I will willingly agree with this ...and NOT because I think it is "the mark of the beast" just that I object to being forced to do something that the majority voted against when we had a choice :thumbsup: