• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/12/1945

Is there a connection between these two Scriptural references to the "fig tree"?

Is there a significance for us today?

Mat 21:18-20

Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.

And when he saw a
fig tree
in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the
fig tree
withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the
fig tree
withered away!

Mat 24:32-34

Now learn a parable of the
fig tree
; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

In the first scripture JESUS found the tree which should have had some fruit on it (since it had leaves already on it it should have had some fruit).JESUS cursed the tree because it lack the fruit.It could be compared to how we christians fail to grow in our walk with GOD.When JESUS returns,will HE find us bearing fruit or not?The fig tree also is a symbol of Israel.JESUS more likely was comparing the tree to Israel's desperate condition.The second scripture is using the tree in a nature sense not a spiritual one.JESUS is showing the signs of HIS return as a fig tree gives signs that summer is near.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Why do we believe that the fig tree represents Israel? Got any Scripture for that?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

Hosea 9:10,Joel 1:7

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Hosea 9:10,Joel 1:7

A bit of a stretch, I think; especially the citation from Joel. But good job nonetheless; I've asked that question for years, and no one has EVER given a reasonable response!

Maybe it is because Israelis themselves see it a symbol of their people?

A fig tree can appear dead for many years, even centuries, and then "miraculously" come back to life. There are trees in the Garden of Gethsemene that certainly stood during the time of Yeshua which were dead many hundreds of years...and yet recently are sprouting leaves and fruit.

Shiloh has answered this question before though...wish I could remember what he said.

:taped:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The problem with symbols is determining when the author of the text intended that we understand them as such. If the fig tree is used as a symbol of Israel in other texts (and it is), does that mean that everytime the term "fig tree" is used, it should be understood to be a reference to Israel?

Guest shiloh357
The problem with symbols is determining when the author of the text intended that we understand them as such. If the fig tree is used as a symbol of Israel in other texts (and it is), does that mean that everytime the term "fig tree" is used, it should be understood to be a reference to Israel?

No. Context should always determine how a symbol is used, and one should always look for textual indicators that figurative language is being used.

Not every reference to the fig tree in the NT is meant to be understood as Israel. For example, it would be hard to get "Israel" out of references to the fig tree in John 1: 48-50, James 3:12 or Revelation 6:13.

Sometimes it is used in parabolic form when Jesus was talking about fruitlessness, and really applies to all believers, not Israel.

Israel is also symbolized parabolically as a vineyard and an olive tree, but we would not force "Israel" into every reference of an olive tree or vineyard. That would make for some really wacky doctrine.

I do believe that Israel is symbolized as the fig tree in Matt 24, though. The reason why I say that, is because how Jesus describes it. He mentions the leaves, but he omits the fruit. A fig tree puts forth fruit before it puts forth leaves. The ommission of the fruit is conspicuous to me. Leaves without fruit, I believe, show Israel in its current state of unbelief, which also how it is characterized in Ezekiel 36 and 37. Israel's restoration would be done at time while Israel is still in a condition of unbelief. The tree is alive but we are still waiting for the fruit, i.e. Israel's spiritual restoration.

In Mat 21 Jesus curses the fig tree. This was not something that He would normally do, so I think there must be a deeper significance. We don't have to look far to see that Jesus pronounced judgement on Israel, in particular, Jerusalem.

Mat 23-34

34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!

38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

History shows this happened in 70AD.

In Mat 24, where the context is prophesying the future, Jesus speaks of the "fig tree" coming back to life.

Again, history shows this happened ... Israel re-emerging as a nation after nearly 1900 years.

When it comes to prophecy, I believe that God interprets His own Word by bringing it to pass.

Edited by kenod

If (as I believe), the fig tree refers to Israel becoming a nation again, what is the significance of "this generation"?

Mat 24:32-34

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

There are some different views, including:

A) "this generation" dates from 1948 (Israel established as a nation)

B) "this generation" dates from 1967 (Jerusalem restored as the capitial of Israel).

C) a generation is forty years

D) a generation is seventy years

Obviously, A and C cannot be a correct combination.

B and C points to 2007

Perhaps I should go back to my previous statement: God will interpret His own Word by bringing it to pass!

But it sure is interesting to think about!!!

Edited by kenod