• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

One "insults" Jesus because one doesn't agree with you?! Quite to the contrary, F.A., I do indeed PRAISE & WORSHIP the Lord Jesus Christ, the Righteous One and only Savior! He is the veritable Theme of my song and the Joy of all living. Have a wonderful & Christ-blessed New Year's!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

I am glad that you have Jesus, Arthur. Denying something that is clearly spoken of by Paul is like spitting in the face of the Holy Spirit. It is not an insult to me, personally.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/20/1961

Good morning asap, just out of bed again, well about an hour ago, live in a different time zoneto you, but in a better frame of mind. When you are reaching your mid 80s I suppose you're entitled to have a bad hair day, but to your reply.

No I was not referring to you, as in you particularly, but anyone who claims to be annointed, especially the likes of some TBN preachers, which of course has nought to do with this thread.

So briefly, although I am not a staunch calvanist, I believe your name goes in the book of life at your conception as do any gifts that you granted by grace, after your salvation.

IMO you can't learn gifts. A gift is a gift. you don't ask for gifts, you merely receive them by grace through faith. I made my committment to the Lord twenty years ago and on several occasions tried speaking in tongues and it sounded riculous to me so I told the Lord if I didn't know what I was talking about, how was He to know and if He didn't mind I would stick to the tongue I was born with.

Luke said Christ came to, quote..... bring good news to the poor, to proclaim release to the captives and to recover the sight to the blind and to give release to the oppressed and to declare the acceptable year fo the Lord.........or words to that affect. He never said anything about curing arthiritis or cancer, although through, Him are all things possible. so if God chooses me as a vessel at some time to pray for some healing or another for someone and he is healed, that does't mean to me, anyway, that I have the gift of healing.

Like you said, "just the facts, m'am."

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Amanda, no problem.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

1 Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

I just thought this would be a good time to point out that not everyone will receive the gift of tongues.

:wub:

1 Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

I just thought this would be a good time to point out that not everyone will receive the gift of tongues.

:wub:

That's right, billie...but we can all have a prayer language that Paul tells us about.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

we can all have a prayer language that Paul tells us about.

Can you point me to the verse? I'm not disagreeing, I just forget which it is. :wub:

Jude 20...

But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:2...

For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.

and verse 14:

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 14:18...

I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

Romans 6: 26-27

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

Ephesians 6:18

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

I know that we can pray much in our own native tongue. The point is we need to pray without ceasing, right? But when we are in deep prayer and worship, entreating God with supplication, out of the outflow of our hearts the mouth speaks! Sometimes that is an utterance of goanings and words that only God comprehends! Luke 6:45 says, "For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

Giving over control of my vocal chords to the Holy Spirit is a blessing.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/20/1961

Floating Axe,

I know that sometimes I am so moved or so grieved in prayer that I have no words, that is when I rely on the Holy Spirit and pray in tongues, but not the only time. But of course this is just my testimony. Scripture does hold true that there are tongues for prayer, edification, in the Body and in your closet. I am glad that I finally sought this manifestation of the Spirit in my prayer life. Thank you for the scriptures.

Amanda

:rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

Well, of course, as Dr. John Walvoord of Dallas Theological Seminary, succinctly states: "Any view which denies that speaking in tongues used actual languages is difficuklt to harmonize with the scriptural concept of a spiritual gift. By its very nature, a spiritual gift had reality, and being supernatural, needs no naturalistic explanation." Pentecostal/charismatic folk fail to grasp the biblical fact that "tongues" (better, languages) in Acts involved meaningful, doctrinal content, and not meaningless, empty gibberish. In 1 Corinthians - a prayer to God, 1 Cor.14.14,15; or a song of praise, 1 Cor.14:15. The very expression "KINDS of tongues" in understandable only if "tongues" (languages) were ACTUAL languages of earth. Any linguist understands - tho charismatics don't seem to know - that the 3000 languages of the world are GROUPED into many classes or kinds. Such GROUPINGS or KINDS has reference to REAL, EARTHLY, NATIONAL dialects, not meaningless gibberish.

The very fact that "tongues" (languages) can be INTERPRETED demands that "tongues" (languages) be REAL, NATIONAL languages. (1 Cor.12:10,30; 14:5,13,17,28). INTERPRETATION necessitates MEANING! Meaningless mumbo-jumbo such as "kania sophi lana she soprin la didio eni kana" cannot be interpretated. Further, our kind charismatic folk fail to grasp that speaking in languages is said to consist of WORDS, which would be possible only if "tongues" were REAL languages (1 Cor.14:9,19).

The "tongues" (languages) cited by Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:21 and taken from Isaiah 28:11, were REAL, ACTUAL, EARTHLY languages, namely (in the case of Isaiah 28:11) the ASSYRIAN language which was a REAL, EARTHLY, NATIONAL dialect! The "tongues" (languages) spoken in the rebellious Corinthian assembly (Verse 22) with its multitude of sinful actions, were the VERY SAME THING as the Isaiah "tongues" (Verse 21), namely REAL, EARTHLY, NATIONAL languages, and not any heavenly gibberish as practiced generally for the first time in over 19 centuries in the Azusa Pentecostal assembly in 1901! Indeed, "tongues will cease" - and certainly DID according to the Greek (future passive), "in and OF THEMSELVES," for 19 long centuries!

One more time: "Prou pra praddey, pa palassate pa pau pu pe, teli, terana, terrei te te te, vole virte vum, elee, lete leele luto, sirge, singe, imba imba imba" has ZIP reference to Holy Writ. In truth, the word "unknown" does not appear anywhere in the biblical text re languages. ALL Bible languages - including that of angels - are KNOWN, ACTUAL, EARTHLY languages, not "heavenly gibberish" in any way, shape or form. Sad it is that our Pentecostal-charismatic friends have been hung up on this forementioned unintelligible sputtering since Azusa 1901. They always tend to conveniently overlook the fact that God well understands prayer, praise & worship in EVERY LANGUAGE of earth, whether, English, en Francais, Espanol, Hebrew (Aleph & Tau), Greek (Alpha & Omega), Arabic (Allahu Akhbar, but for the Christian, Yessur Akhbar, JESUS is greatest!), Pashtun, etc, take your pick. He hears and wonderfully answers the believing prayers & praises of His twice-born children in ALL earthly languages and dialects without exception. So why the meaningless, unintelligible mumbo-jumbo?

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

1 Corinthians 13:1

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels , but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.