• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

You receive the Holy Spirit when your saved. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is another thing. Yes I have spoken in tongues but that is just the icing on the cake. The Holy Spirit lives in me everyday.

Amen! :thumbsup: God is liberal with icing! :emot-hug:

Guest stevej

Let's look at some logic. How are voices a fragrance to God. Is it because we sacrifce to worship and therefore is a fragrance. By the definition it is a smell. How can something verbal be a fragrance.

So, now because I wax a little poetic, it is something to be "corrected"? Just as incense is a sweet fragrance, and God gladly accepted such offerings, so are our prayers, offered up to Him as praise and worship as sweet-smelling aroma! It is true...apart from logic!

No one is correcting you tho i challenge you to show me anywhere in the scripture it indicates prayer or a voice is a sweet fragrance to God. The first usage of the term is found in Genesis 8

Gen 8:20 And Noah built an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Gen 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savor; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

The phrase is used in relationship to a sacrifice. What sacrifice do we make in relationship to our prayers.? This is true of every usage of sweet savor in the Ild Testament. There is one reference in the New Testament:

2Co 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savor of his knowledge by us in every place.

2Co 2:15 For we are unto God a sweet savor of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

2Co 2:16 To the one we are the savor of death unto death; and to the other the savor of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

This is in relationship again to a sacrifice, the sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf. It is His blood that is the sweet savor!

The word fragrance is not found in the scripture. So wax poetically and back your belief with scripture.

By the way i notice an absence of comment on the rest of the post. Which states clearly that even in disagreement fellowship is not broken between me and thee. So please do not take this as anything more than asking you to clarify.

Our sacrifice of praise is a fragrance to the Lord. When He tells me that, I accept it. It is scriptural in that all sacrifices that are acceptable were a sweet-smelling aroma in the nostrils of God. We also are a fragrance to God.

2 Corinthians 2:14

In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation

Let's look at some logic. How are voices a fragrance to God. Is it because we sacrifce to worship and therefore is a fragrance. By the definition it is a smell. How can something verbal be a fragrance.

So, now because I wax a little poetic, it is something to be "corrected"? Just as incense is a sweet fragrance, and God gladly accepted such offerings, so are our prayers, offered up to Him as praise and worship as sweet-smelling aroma! It is true...apart from logic!

No one is correcting you tho i challenge you to show me anywhere in the scripture it indicates prayer or a voice is a sweet fragrance to God. The first usage of the term is found in Genesis 8

Gen 8:20 And Noah built an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Gen 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savor; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

The phrase is used in relationship to a sacrifice. What sacrifice do we make in relationship to our prayers.? This is true of every usage of sweet savor in the Ild Testament. There is one reference in the New Testament:

2Co 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savor of his knowledge by us in every place.

2Co 2:15 For we are unto God a sweet savor of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

2Co 2:16 To the one we are the savor of death unto death; and to the other the savor of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

This is in relationship again to a sacrifice, the sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf. It is His blood that is the sweet savor!

The word fragrance is not found in the scripture. So wax poetically and back your belief with scripture.

By the way i notice an absence of comment on the rest of the post. Which states clearly that even in disagreement fellowship is not broken between me and thee. So please do not take this as anything more than asking you to clarify.

Our sacrifice of praise is a fragrance to the Lord. When He tells me that, I accept it. It is scriptural in that all sacrifices that are acceptable were a sweet-smelling aroma in the nostrils of God. We also are a fragrance to God.

2 Corinthians 2:14

In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Boy, did I make my exit quickly before he could work his magic!

I have a question: What would you expect, had this guy "work[ed] his magic"? I have no clue!!

I really would like to know what anyone here thinks: if one is not willing to speak in tongues or fall backwards, do you know what would happen if a preacher like this tried to "work his magic" on that one?

Edited by Tzav_LaTzav

I have a question: What would you expect, had this guy "work[ed] his magic"? I have no clue!!

I really would like to know what anyone here thinks: if one is not willing to speak in tongues or fall backwards, do you know what would happen if a preacher like this tried to "work his magic" on that one?

Huh? :laugh:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Birthday:  08/20/1961

Huh? :laugh:

That was my reaction as well. I read that reply more than once and still can't make any sense of it. :emot-hug::ph34r:

Hey we can all agree on something :24:

having to duck around here, in a town of 200 how can they shoot guns for 10 minutes straight,?

Besides ammo is to expensive :52_52:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  10/12/1945

As a tongues-speaking Pentecostal believer, my advice is always:

SEEK THE GIVER, NOT THE GIFT

(hey, I'm Pentecostal, we're allowed to shout!!!) :laugh:

People's definitions of "orderly" seem to vary.

Here's what I see as orderly:

When someone is addressing the congregation everyone listens.

When one person is leading in prayer, don't drown him/her out.

When it's time to sing, everyone sings together (even if you're not in tune ... like me!).

If the congregation is all praising the Lord in unison, then all can pray out loud together - softly or loudly depending on your personality.

The person appointed to lead the congregation should be respected, and his leading followed.

Works for us.

I've read posts by those who are very critical of speaking in tongues.

And I agree that there are some aspects of how it is practised that should be criticised.

But my question to those people would be: Does anyone in your church ever speak in tongues? If not, why not?

I do not believe tongues is the initial evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit, but Scripturally, it is an expression of the Holy Spirit.

If the Holy Spirit is in your church, sooner or later, you will experience the ministry of tongues as Paul outlined it in 1 Cor 14

1Cor 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Edited by kenod

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  32

From post #4

A leader of a church I attended once asked me this very question. He siad that because I couldn't speak in tounges that therefore I hadn't received the Spirit. I tried to explain to him that not all speak in tounges and that it is the least of gifts. He wanted to pray over me so that I would specificaly 'receive the Spirit' and in turn speak in tounges. Boy, did I make my exit quickly before he could work his magic!

Now, does it make sense to you? :laugh:

Guest lovinghim4ever

Oh, now, you're scaring me, hr.jr.

Why, read Pauls admonishment of the Corinthian Church. See if that church does not sound like many of the modern day Pentecostal churches that also need that admonishment.

I have read it, Hr.jr. That's what's scaring me. It was all there -- right down to the abuse of G-d's Torah re sexual matters.

I now attend a place of worship where tongues are neither denied nor practiced. Bluntly, I see more of G-d in the lives of the leaders and people where I now attend than I ever saw in the other church, in spite of their claims of being so holy. I am so unimpressed with the tongues movement, that claims that one must speak in tongues -- as well as those who claim one must fall backwards to the ground in order to experience G-d.

I have a curious question for you.

Why do some people type G-d? Why is the 'o' left out of God?

Just curious! :wub:

It's out of respect for His Holy Name. When Jews copied out scrolls, they would break their writing utensil after writing the Holy name of God, because it would never write a greater Name (they might do it still, for all I know). I think this is something along those lines.

Wow! Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

:blink::):)

Well, in short, after years of consideration and of not writing the whole name of G-d or of the words directly connected with Him in our society, it comes down to this for me: the more I learn about Him, the more I love and respect Him. Now, I do not do this out of tradition but out of that love and respect. It is just my response, with no judgment whatsoever that reaches outside of myself.

I think it is very respectful, and I admire you for it.

:emot-hug::emot-hug::wub:

Guest lovinghim4ever
It seems to me that scripture is interpreted by many to fit what they want it to be, instead of what God wanted it to be. I asked God to tell me whether this behaviour is right and of Him. I believe He said that by focussing in on the behaviour and experience, i was not focussing on Him. The fact on the matter is that i still do not know whether it is right or wrong, but that He is God over all and He is waaaaaaay bigger than me. If i am focussed on Him and submitting myself to Him and being in His will, then if He wants to put me on the floor, or to give a message in tounges to the church then He will, if He doesnt, then He wont. He also said that i should not be looking at others in the church and saying they are wrong for what they do. They are His concern not mine.

Also, on the subject of toungues. I have always been taught that speaking in toungues is a way in which you can speak with God, and also a way in which God can speak to the church through you. I have been taught that 'the gift of toungues is a free gift available for everyone who has recieved salvation' many churches i have visited have brought all those to the front of church and made them stay there just making their mouth move making noises (as in not speaking word that we understand) until they feel they have recieved it. Which to me, if it is a free gift for all then so long as you are willing to recieve, God can give it to you when He wants. Hmmmmm im not sure if that made sense, but basically, our priority should be focussing on God, and let God sort out the right and wrong. The Holy Spirit, is not going to make you do something that is wrong.

rosie

:emot-hug: Great post! :emot-hug:

When I first received my gift of speaking in tongues, I was afraid to pray with my new language. Afraid because the "controller" in me didn't truly understand what I was praying. And, I certainly didn't want to be praying inappropriately. Then, after a while, God revealed to me that He would NEVER have me pray for something that was wrong for me or anyone else. I trust Him, so now I pray in tongues whenever I feel led to. It is truly the Spirit of God helping me in my weakness for I do not know what I should pray for as I ought. But He Himself makes intercession for me with groanings that cannot be uttered. (Romans 8:26) Thank you Lord! :)

:wub::blink::)