• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

personally i think homeschooling is optimal. but if that's not an option, consider this... we are to be the salt of the earth, and to shine the light of Jesus to the world. if your children have strong core values and faith, then where better for them to be a witness?

Wow, It's been a LONG LONG time since I've been here and this topic is very important to me! I haven't read through all of it, but I wanted to comment here when I saw this remark.........

About being a witness, yes, before my kids were old enough for school, I started to pray long and hard about what the Lord wanted me to do. I weighed all the options, homeschooling, private, public....and trusted the Lord to guide me. That is a piece we miss so much! The Lord directed us to be His vioce in our public schools. Sometimes that can be a darkest place in our communities and who will be the ones to brings His light? The Christian families He leads there are! Another point I think we VERY OFTEN miss in this whole topic is the fact that the responsibility of education lies withthe PARENTS and FAMILY NOT WITH THE SCHOOLS! Schools are intended to be a support, but much much too often we leave the entire responsibility up to them and that is where we fail our children. It is our job to not only ask questions and talk to teachers, but to teach them at home as well in spiritual/social areas, but ALSO academic areas! I went to public school my whole life and I grew up in a Christian home. My parents were very diligent with us and they took on primary role as educaters at home and school was the support system.

I also have to say that the topic of evolution was never presented as "we come from apes", at least, not with that being the gospel truth, Darwinism was presented as a theory, but not really a favored theory. There were other issues that were posed in contrast with Christian lifestyle, but those were mostly not academic issues, but rather social issues or political issues. I welcomed those things too because it gave me a chance to exercise my right to voice the truth and to share God's word in a public school. And Yes, it IS a student's right to do that. (at least in the States, I can't speak for other countries) A teacher may not do that for fear of policies, but a student may. I did and it made me a stronger person. I would not trade that experience (no matter how difficlut it may have been going through it at times) for ANYTHING! I went through some trials by fire, but God used it to make me who I am and who He wants me to be.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public school offers a wonderful opportunity for evangelism.

A "Christian" school might not.

Steve

:thumbsup::blink: How can we spread the word, that well, if we are isolating our children when they can reach others kids for the LORD?

This doesn't make a bit of sense. Children are not evangelists. They are very impressionable. I still believe that home schooling is the best way to go, and a private Christian school would be next. I wouldn't think of taking children the Lord place in my care and throwing them into the lions den known as the public school system and simply saying the Lord will protect them. Today, we have options, and I believe the the Lord gives us common sense to use them. That is how he will protect them.

I don't think what you say makes alot of sense to me. I understand why you feel this way, but where is the faith in that? Why can't the Lord protect children in public schools when their parents have sent them there in faith? and I beg to disagree that children are not evangelists..............have you ever listened to them? They make some of the greatest evangelists because of their faith. I am not an advocate of any single form of educating (like I won't say public schools are the best or home schooling is the best or private schooling is best) I think it is up to the Lord to decide that and it is our job to trust Him in wherever He leads.

Steve

I am not interested in my hypotheticals evangelizing anybody at 5 to10 years of age!

First of all why not? and Secondly, there are teachers that need to hear the word of God demonstrated by a christian family in the school, there are other staff and administration that will hear of christians in their schools.............

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I think a child's witness is compromised if they spend 35 hours a week "walking in the counsel of the wicked, standing in the way of sinners, or sitting in the seat of mockers." as it states in Psalm 1:1. You truly want your children to make a difference for the better in this world to the glory of God? Then take to heart Deuteronomy 6:5-7. It is harder to do this though with others teaching your children 35 hours a week.

I just want to clear one thing up here: Kids CAN reach their friends for Jesus. I don't give a flying bird whether they do it at a public school, their local rec hockey team, their homeschool play group, or whathaveyou.

I just know that God CAN and DOES speak through the mouths of babes. I have seen it happen. My cousins (between the ages of 7 and 10) have been witnessing in their own precious way to a child of non-Christian parents. He's been asking questions and they've been telling him everything they've been learning in Sunday School and from their parents.

Christian parents who send their kids off to public school aren't just doing it on a whim, or pointing a gun at their heads and saying "God, stop the bullet!" They are still talking to their kids about Jesus, paying attention to their physical, spiritual, and mental health, ACTIVELY parenting them (which is important in ANY schooling situation, homeschool, public, or private school...I've seen just as many homeschool parents as public school parents neglect active parenting when they're not doing school stuff), preparing them for what the outside will throw at them.

Any kid with healthy socialization is going to face the infuence of the outside world. The idea is to PREAPARE and STRENGTHEN them to stand up against it, because unless you go off and live in a small utopian colony (unlikely), they're going to face it at some point, no matter WHAT you do.

It's not the school system's JOB to teach the kids about Christ...it's the duty of their parents and the Christian community around them. That's why I think that public school CAN work for MANY Christian kids. Hey, I did it, and I think I turned out to be a pretty stable person and steady Christian. It is not for ALL situations, though, just like homeschooling is not appropriate (or even possible!) for ALL families in today's world.

And frankly, I think that anyone who says or implies that a Christian parent is failing in their duties by sending their kids to public school is insulting my parents, and I don't take kindly to that. I admire homeschool parents, I really do, because I don't think I could ever manage it (my favourite aunt is a homeschool parent, and I marvel at how she gets it all done)...but there are other situations out there, and those can work too..I know they can, because they have worked in the lives of my brother and me, as well as my cousins and close friends.

:thumbsup::blink::24::(:P AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT POST!

Steve

:thumbsup::blink: How can we spread the word, that well, if we are isolating our children when they can reach others kids for the LORD?

This doesn't make a bit of sense. Children are not evangelists. They are very impressionable. I still believe that home schooling is the best way to go, and a private Christian school would be next. I wouldn't think of taking children the Lord place in my care and throwing them into the lions den known as the public school system and simply saying the Lord will protect them. Today, we have options, and I believe the the Lord gives us common sense to use them. That is how he will protect them.

I don't think what you say makes alot of sense to me. I understand why you feel this way, but where is the faith in that? Why can't the Lord protect children in public schools when their parents have sent them there in faith? and I beg to disagree that children are not evangelists..............have you ever listened to them? They make some of the greatest evangelists because of their faith. I am not an advocate of any single form of educating (like I won't say public schools are the best or home schooling is the best or private schooling is best) I think it is up to the Lord to decide that and it is our job to trust Him in wherever He leads.

This would be putting sacrifice before obedience.

Proverbs 21:3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Also,

Deuteronomy 6:16 Do not test the Lord your God...

Steve

Proverbs 21:3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Also,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that you think I'm putting sacrifice before obedience or are you echoing what I actually mean in that obedience to where the Lord leads you to educate your children is the most important?? The way this is worded makes it difficult to catch what you're saying (or I'm just not catching it...)

Steve

Also,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that you think I'm putting sacrifice before obedience or are you echoing what I actually mean in that obedience to where the Lord leads you to educate your children is the most important?? The way this is worded makes it difficult to catch what you're saying (or I'm just not catching it...)

Basically my point is that to send our children to public school on the basis of wanting them to evangelize is putting sacrifice before obedience. It is not a good reason to send children to public school. If you truly feel led by the Lord to put your children in public school, that is a different story, I believe God always blesses our desires to do what he wants us to do. We are commanded to train our children up in the way they should go. I obey this first and make sure I am not sacrificing this. As I read my bible, I see gazillions of scriptire supporting that the duty of child rearing is entrusted to the parents, not public schools. 35 hours a week in public school is just too much time away from the family in my humble opinion.

Steve

Also,

Basically my point is that to send our children to public school on the basis of wanting them to evangelize is putting sacrifice before obedience. It is not a good reason to send children to public school. If you truly feel led by the Lord to put your children in public school, that is a different story, I believe God always blesses our desires to do what he wants us to do. We are commanded to train our children up in the way they should go. I obey this first and make sure I am not sacrificing this. As I read my bible, I see gazillions of scriptire supporting that the duty of child rearing is entrusted to the parents, not public schools. 35 hours a week in public school is just too much time away from the family in my humble opinion.

If you read one of my previous posts, I said I prayed very long and hard about what to do with my children when it came time to "start school", and God told me to send them to public school because He needed us there. That is obedience. That is what was #1 in our decision. I'm not sacrificing anything either. God calls different people to different service and it is served out of obedience.

Steve

Also,

If you read one of my previous posts, I said I prayed very long and hard about what to do with my children when it came time to "start school", and God told me to send them to public school because He needed us there. That is obedience. That is what was #1 in our decision. I'm not sacrificing anything either. God calls different people to different service and it is served out of obedience.

I was responding to what concerned me most in the post. It sounded like you were saying a desire for our children to evangelize is a good reason to put children in public school. Children are simply too easily influenced, my son does a great job of sharing the gospel. And he is never afraid to share. Me and my husband feel it would be a risk to put him in public school and jeopardize that during his formative years. That is why there is so much scripture on why the upbringing of our children is so important. We need to do some raising first and get them through the years they are so easily influenced before we put them out in the world too much. As I said, if you truly feel led by God to put your children in public schools, then I believe God always blesses our efforts to do what he wants.