IGNORED

TO BE LIKE A CHILD

thepreacher

From my experience. Children really aren't humble at all. They are really quite vain. Everything is about them. They feel sorry because they got punished. They want ice cream. They want to stay up later. At that age, it is all about them. And they don't understand that they are not the center of the universe.

One thing I've learnt from my sons', is that they are more readily forgiving than me. What you have mentioned is all true, we recognise it because we have all been there, but my children have taught me, they are flexible, willing to forgive quickly and have no problem showing love. I just thank God that He gave me these 4 gifts, as they are the ONLY good and decent things that came out of an awful, awful relationship.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

From my experience. Children really aren't humble at all. They are really quite vain. Everything is about them. They feel sorry because they got punished. They want ice cream. They want to stay up later. At that age, it is all about them. And they don't understand that they are not the center of the universe.

systemstrike_7,

I understand about children in general but Jesus said we need a child like attitude of humility. He did not say every child would have that quality.

Just the same in everyday life. A person should copy the good things people do, not dwell on or imitate the bad.

Just my thoughts.

child minded to me means having the fast faith of a child. A child totally tursts those he/she loves. That is how we are to be with God. The God said it that settles it I believe it thing.

GodsLove26,

That is a great quality to have. God says what he means and means what he says and we should believe him!

The "like a child" comparison rattles me a little bit, much like references to sheep would be for those who've never been active Christians as I was.

No matter which way you interpret it, it ultimately admonishes the believer not to reason entirely as an adult would. You can call it trust, humility etc - but it's plain that the intention is to avoid critical thought.

That is the difference between the minds of children and adults - children do not have the capacity for critical reasoning that adults do. And that is what is being asked of the Christian.

It all serves to make the teachings of the Bible more readily accepted, which is in the best interests of the Christianity meme.

faithquestions,

As you said, "It all serves to make the teachings of the Bible more readily accepted,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It is the trusting heart of a child who, when his father bids him jump into his arms from a height, does so, KNOWING and TRUSTING that his daddy will indeed catch him safely in his strong and loving arms!

That is the trusting heart of a child that God is looking for. Not a distrustful mind of a child that stands there and weighs is all beforehand, but rather doesn't think about it, and jumps freely and with abandon!

As far as the universe is concerned--we are the centre of God's universe! We are the apple of His eye!

Praise Jesus!

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

TO BE LIKE A CHILD

Is it meant to have the intelligence or the attitude of a child?

I see a lot of people not comparing scripture with scripture in this example.

They will take Mat 19:14 (13-15) and maybe assume it means the gospel is simple because a child is simple minded. So the gospel must be simple enough for them to understand.

Of coarse this being an assumption is questioned by many others and rightly so. Jesus said the kingdom is open to those who are like a child, but in what respect would a person have to be like a child?

1st Scripture

Mat 19:14 But1161 Jesus2424 said,2036 Suffer863 little children,3813 and2532 forbid2967 them846 not,3361 to come2064 unto4314 me:3165 for1063 of such5108 is2076 the3588 kingdom932 of heaven.3772

The "of such" in Strong's means: to denote character. So how is the child acting? What are they doing that Jesus is saying we should emulate?

Mar 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as (like) a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Luk 18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as (like) a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

Again the word "as" means like a little child. Of coarse this doesn't mean for us to be as or like a rebellious child. That should be common sense. Why should it mean that the gospel is simple because a child might be simple minded? I don't think so but let us look further into the scriptures for a better understanding.

What we are looking for are scriptures showing and inherent characteristic or something intrinsic in a child or adult that is the essential nature or of enough worthy value needed to enter the kingdom of God.

There I did it, a bunch of big words that just means what is the attitude we need to inherit the kingdom of God? Because that is what Jesus Christ is saying. We need the correct attitude in order to have salvation.

Now where do we find this attitude? Do we think up something? Ask everyone or read books on the bible and make up our minds sometime later. Or maybe look further in the scriptures?

A NO PRIDE ZONE!

AND! What do we find, but the scriptures mate as it says in Isa 34:16. In Matthew it says HUMBLE yourself as (like) a child.

Still nothing about the gospel being simple!

Being humble like a child to receive the kingdom of God! Not thinking you know better.

Mat 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

Mat 18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

As a child would look trustingly in humility to their father for guidance and safety!

Psa 123:2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the LORD our God, until that he have mercy upon us.

Psa 123:3 Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us: for we are exceedingly filled with contempt.

Psa 123:4 Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud.

Or as a servant of God

Luk 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?

Luk 17:8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?

Luk 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.

Luk 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

BECOME TEACHABLE AS A CHILD IN ORDER TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD

Psa 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Psa 32:9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

:emot-hug:

Children question things whereas adults generaly are already molded or indoctrinated etc. An adult who has an attitude like a child seeks God and His Truth with questions. Generaly speaking most assume to know what they are talking about but to enter the kingdom one must become like a child and learn from God.

It is the trusting heart of a child who, when his father bids him jump into his arms from a height, does so, KNOWING and TRUSTING that his daddy will indeed catch him safely in his strong and loving arms!

That is the trusting heart of a child that God is looking for. Not a distrustful mind of a child that stands there and weighs is all beforehand, but rather doesn't think about it, and jumps freely and with abandon!

As far as the universe is concerned--we are the centre of God's universe! We are the apple of His eye!

Praise Jesus!

Floatingaxe,

Just a question from me. If a person hesitates for a couple minutes and then in humility decides to accept the truth; do you think God would reject them? I don't think so myself. Then what is meant in Mat 18:4.

Jesus said the greatest in the kingdom will have the quickly used humility of a child as you say.

Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I agree God would probably like all of us to have the best possible humility but then everyone can't be the greatest in the kingdom. The scriptures speak of the greatest and the least and everyone in between in the kingdom.

Do you think this sounds right to you?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Praise Jesus!

Floatingaxe,

Just a question from me. If a person hesitates for a couple minutes and then in humility decides to accept the truth; do you think God would reject them? I don't think so myself. Then what is meant in Mat 18:4.

Jesus said the greatest in the kingdom will have the quickly used humility of a child as you say.

I agree God would probably like all of us to have the best possible humility but then everyone can't be the greatest in the kingdom. The scriptures speak of the greatest and the least and everyone in between in the kingdom.

Do you think this sounds right to you?

Hesitation is human. God sees it. But He is blessed mightily by the one who would come with a childlike faith--in spite of questions! So many who followed Jesus around the countryside followed Him without hesitation. When He was gathering His many disciples, He would simply say, "Follow me", and they would drop everything and run, not looking back! What caused that? Childlike faith! What a blessing to the heart of God!