• Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

N. Korea Agrees to Nuclear Disarmament

Tuesday February 13, 2007 6:31 PM

AP Photo TOK207

By AUDRA ANG

Associated Press Writer

BEIJING (AP) - North Korea agreed Tuesday to shut down its main nuclear reactor and eventually dismantle its atomic weapons program in exchange for millions of dollars in aid, just four months after the communist state shocked the world by testing a nuclear bomb.

The deal, reached after arduous talks, marks the first concrete plan for disarmament in more than three years of six-nation negotiations. The plan also could potentially herald a new era of cooperation in the region with the North's longtime foes - the United States and Japan - also agreeing to discuss normalizing relations.

``These talks represent the best opportunity to use diplomacy to address North Korea's nuclear programs,'' President Bush said in a statement read by his spokesman. ``They reflect the common commitment of the participants to a Korean Peninsula that is free of nuclear weapons.''

Making sure North Korea declares all its nuclear facilities and shuts them down is likely to prove difficult, nuclear experts have said....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...6413286,00.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461

Ok, I'm not the most brilliant political analyst here (by far), so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this blackmail? I mean, N. Korea misbehaves and they say they'll stop misbehaving if we agree to give them a bunch of money. Isn't that kind of like negotiating with terrorists? At the very least, it sounds like giving in to a spoiled brat. If the "child" learns that this works, then what is to keep the "child" from doing it again, only making higher demands? And, if this "child" gets away with it, will it not encourage the "other children" to follow suit? Am I missing something here?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

Ok, I'm not the most brilliant political analyst here (by far), so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this blackmail? I mean, N. Korea misbehaves and they say they'll stop misbehaving if we agree to give them a bunch of money. Isn't that kind of like negotiating with terrorists? At the very least, it sounds like giving in to a spoiled brat. If the "child" learns that this works, then what is to keep the "child" from doing it again, only making higher demands? And, if this "child" gets away with it, will it not encourage the "other children" to follow suit? Am I missing something here?

This is not Elementary School. Would you rather give them a bunch of money, or have them continue to build more Atomic Weapons?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Seems to me last time we accepted North Korean promises re their nuclear program, THEY LIED!

Fool me once........

Seems to me I've heard this song (and dance) before.

Seems to me last time we accepted North Korean promises re their nuclear program, THEY LIED!

Fool me once........

And our other options are?

This is not Elementary School. Would you rather give them a bunch of money, or have them continue to build more Atomic Weapons?

Do you really trust them? What if this is all a hoax in order to get our money to help them to continue with their nuclear ambitions, or better yet, what if they take the money and help Iran with their nuclear ambitions since they seem to be helping them anyway, along with Russia and China?

Fool me once........

And our other options are?

The problem is, where does it end? If you give in to the temper tantrums of a spoiled child once, he will do it again, because he has learned that it worked. And, if you do it more than once, the "other children" learn they can play the same game, and pretty soon who is ruling whom? It is just like giving in to terrorists. And, we certainly can't expect them to keep their word. That is why we don't negotiate with them. They'll just bleed us more and more until they have conquered us.

Seems to me that our only option is for America to get on its knees before God and to call on the Almighty to intervene. That, I believe, is our ONLY viable option.

Do you really trust them? What if this is all a hoax in order to get our money to help them to continue with their nuclear ambitions, or better yet, what if they take the money and help Iran with their nuclear ambitions since they seem to be helping them anyway, along with Russia and China?

China does not want a Nuclear Iran any more than we do. They just want some of Iran's oil. China definately does not want a nuclear North Korea.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

...And when the money runs out (ie. When the N. Kor. gov't sucks the funds dry to fund its military and bleed its people dry) the program starts back up again.

Yeah. It's nothing but blackmail.

...And when the money runs out (ie. When the N. Kor. gov't sucks the funds dry to fund its military and bleed its people dry) the program starts back up again.

Yeah. It's nothing but blackmail.

But what are our choices? It seems that either we offer them some incentives to not continue the program or we just let them build more.