ADD

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Any suggestions on how I could cope with it? I discovered I had ADD about 2 years ago after I my sophmore year in college. I've been diagnosed now but I stopped seeing a psychiriatrist and stopped taking medication. Even if i'm on adderall...i still dont have the motivation to do things. I play games all day and dont do any of my studies or hw. I'm always behind in class.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I myself wonder how to deal with it. All I can say is that you're not alone. I can't tell you how i live with it because I never remember my days anyway. And I might not have it. I am horribly distracted easily though and can't ever get around to doing anything. I don't really know if we have the smae thing though.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Self discipline is the answer. To be able to blame some made-up 'disease' only ENABLES us to stay undisciplined. That's why so many people today have ADD, and NO ONE EVER HAD IT BEFORE!

We are simply making excuses for slothful behavior, and lack of self discipline. And the medical establishment is making BILLIONS off this, and so acts as our enabler.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

Your post raises a multitude of questions and highlights a number of problems.

First of all we don

Guest Biblicist
Self discipline is the answer. To be able to blame some made-up 'disease' only ENABLES us to stay undisciplined. That's why so many people today have ADD, and NO ONE EVER HAD IT BEFORE!

We are simply making excuses for slothful behavior, and lack of self discipline. And the medical establishment is making BILLIONS off this, and so acts as our enabler.

I acquiesce whole-heartedly with your observation. :whistling:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Made up diesase??? That's like saying that "depression" is a .....made up disease! Many of these illnesses are due to a lacking of a particular chemical or enzyme in the body/blood. You need to stay under a doctor's care, even if it means getting a "professional" in that field. I suffer from mild depression that many think is a "made up disease" It's not something you have to apologize for or explain. Although you do have to learn how to deal with it. But I have a feeling that exercise, and proper eating habits have much to do with it. And if a professional advises medication, then it is necessary. The poster evidentally doesn't know what it is to have a child or loved one with the illness, evidentally. If he/she did they would be screaming and running for help !

Guest Biblicist
Made up diesase??? That's like saying that "depression" is a .....made up disease! Many of these illnesses are due to a lacking of a particular chemical or enzyme in the body/blood. You need to stay under a doctor's care, even if it means getting a "professional" in that field. I suffer from mild depression that many think is a "made up disease" It's not something you have to apologize for or explain. Although you do have to learn how to deal with it. But I have a feeling that exercise, and proper eating habits have much to do with it. And if a professional advises medication, then it is necessary. The poster evidentally doesn't know what it is to have a child or loved one with the illness, evidentally. If he/she did they would be screaming and running for help !

Sorry to get off topic. . . Leanord is right on with his assessment!

MeCajunboy. . .

Depression is a matter of the heart. It is a term that means downcast. Cain was downcast, he was not obedient to the Lord (Genesis 4:5-6).

Hannah was downcast till she prayed and was given the promise from Eli (1 Samuel 1).

Psalms tells us if we are downcast we are to put our hope in God. (Psalm 45:5,6,11;43:5)

I know that putting your hope in God and considering other's better than oneself helps with depression because it's what works for me!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Some tact and compassion would go a long way here leonard. :24:

And you're completely incorrect. As technology becomes more valid and reliable so does our ability to diagnose medical problems.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

ADD is not a "made up disease". Yes, it's over-diagnosed (and mis-diagnosed), and yes, there are probably thousands of people who think they have it but have something else or are just lazy. But just because the term is over-used or misused does not mean it's "made up". I should know. I see a neurologist for seizures and they've done multiple tests on my brain. EEGs detect brainwaves and brain activity, there are spikes (peaks) and dips that show a doctor what is going on during resting periods and moments of mental activity. Now, it's possible that my anti-convulsants have led to attention problems, but it's also possible that the epilepsy alone has caused it. Regardless, all I know is that before I started having these issues (which was last summer), I was a straight A student, could memorize almost anything rather easily and spend hours concentrating and reading. I still read quite alot, but I can't remember nearly the things that I used to. It's extremely frustrating. I'm not a little kid who is bouncing off the walls that their parent can't control (which is the stereo-type). Also, doctors have had more restrictions placed on them regarding controlled substances (such as Adderall). The DEA (i think that's the initials) watches them, how often they prescribe it, etc. In fact, whenever I get my Rx, it has to be hand-written (he cannot just call in a re-fill), and has to be a new one every 30 days. This is all because the Drug Bureau is closely monitoring these drugs.

It's extremely frustrating for me to hear people say that Attention Deficit Disorder is fake or "made up". Do I think it's way over-diagnosed? Yes. But that does not mean that there aren't people who actually have this problem and deserve to be treated for it.

And by the way, I cannot be accused of someone lacking discipline. Again, that may be a large majority of the people (often children) who are diagnosed with ADD, but this does not define EVERYONE.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Now, now. HR.JR. is right. it is real.

I have known people with it and it was a serious and real thing. Plus I have had soem substantial head trauma that caused mine.

But out of curiosity, since we are on the subject. Does anyone know if long term cocain usage causes it to develope?