• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

This is really a long story, but I will try and make it simple.

My husband has a gambling problem and has no family but mine. He does have a sister and brother, but does not really keep in touch. We are in debt, because of both of us, and we are supporting Jerry, my husband, and making him accountable for where he is at if I go in to work on Sundays.

Last Sunday, I went to work, and we were both going to meet at my parents for dinner. On the way over to my parents, Jerry hit a dog that was in the middle of the road. Jerry slammed on his brakes, and the dog rolled under the car. About an hour later, he died. Jerry helped the owner's son, who was snowmobiling. The dog wanted to follow the son, and that is how the dog got hit. Crossing the road to be with the kid who was snowmobiling. Jerry's back brake lines broke, completely, and he had trouble stopping. When he got to the kid and the dog, the dog tried to get up, then fell down. He died. Jerry stayed with the kid, till his dad came and took him to the barn. He told him how sorry he was. He really did feel bad. And so did I. I called up the family an hour later, to give my apology, and the dad was receptive, and sad. I have a tendency of taking care of everyone, and my family told me to leave it alone now. It is what it is. It was an accident.

The dog's owner must have realized who I was, when I called from my parent's home (caller ID) and he went over to my dad's place of work. He asked my dad if Jerry was going to replace his dog. And, he also mentioned that Jerry did not have very good brakes on his car. That is not true. When the dog rolled under the car, he tore up the back brake lines.

Jerry feels bad enough, and we did have to get his brakes fixed, which cost 221 dollars.

We feel very bad for this family. It was an accident. And the kid felt so bad, and said he always had trouble keeping the dog home, that he should have left him in the barn.

Are we liable? Does my husband really have to replace his dog? What does being a Christian require of us?

I have been spiritually falling down, and just decided to get back up. And when I did, that was when it seems like everything went wrong. Jerry hits a dog. Jerry's brakes broke. My friend blew up at me for nothing, and I am having trouble turning off some self hating thoughts I feel about myself. It just feels like we are under attack. Jerry does not believe the way I do, and I have been praying that God will work with him, and help him to see how loving God is. I know we cannot blame everything on the enemy, but everytime I fall down and get back up again, it seems like something bad happens to us. When I say every time, I do mean every time.

I would like to ask for prayer, and would love to hear what you all think.

Thank you,

Rachel72

Hi Rachel:

First, many have put forth much Truth like Booth about anger and the others also about whose responsiblity legally it was for the dog dying. I would let your Dad and the Dog's owner know just who is responsible and that the Law requires pet owners to keep their dogs under control and not a danger to society at large and that includes on streets and all car traffic roads. If I have a horse or cow and it gets loose onto a road and someone hits it, flips the body into their windshield and critiacally injures or kills an occupant, you had better believe I will be held accountable by criminal law plus civil and their insurance company as well as the injured party can sue me and my insurance for loss and damages. My animal was not supposed to be loose or on that highway.

You have no legal responsiblity here and I would definitely not get angry over it. Jesus calls for us to forgive much, much more as He forgave His accusers and executioners and asked The Father to forgive them as well. This is for them as well as us. It heaps Spiritual Power to overcome and hear Jesus into our hearts and, it heaps coals of fire, conscience working Power of God's Spirit upon the heads of our enemies for their possible conviction and salvation as well.

It sounds like the enemy doesn't want you serving Jesus. But, I see a deeper issue in that you admit you keep falling. The Power to sustain in Christ is in His Word. A Discipline for yourself as you have held Jerry accountable, so hold yourself to move everyday closer to Jesus. I speak this by practical experience. I love the Word of God but until, I disciplined myself to give myself to Him in prayer and reading His Word at the beginning of every day, early, even rising early to allow for time before work, I kept slipping or loosing grasp adn have fallen down in times past. And, not all we see as "falling down" is that at all. There are times the Lord is chastising us to bring out more of Himself and die to self to mold us and complete us as we so need. As one said recently, "You cannot ask God for more Faith without expecting Him to answer and get you ready for more Faith."

I have had this happen recently in the last few months even. And I struggled yet knew better than to "struggle" for that is not what God wants. In fact the Word says not to struggle with God but to submit and He will exalt us in due season. I have seen times I really thought He wasn't there, I had done something terrible and He "left my building". Not so for He promises He will never leave nor forsake you". So when times come, I stand on His promises of His Word I have within me and submit. How do we "submit"? More time with Jesus. It's that simple. He says we must be "Born Again" and Peter tells us How we get "Born Again":

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Anyone not "Born Again" of His Incorruptible seed, is truly not Born Again. Notice the Word "Incorruptible" also. We are full of "corruption". We are born (as babies in flesh) in corruption, we are raised in corruption and, we are exposed and take on corruption. But when God's Word comes alive in us, all that "corruption" starts disappearing and "incorruptible" Power takes hold where we do not fall or fail.

You mention that your husband Jerry does not believe "like you" and I am not sure how you believe for there are many differing beliefs even within one denominaiton often. But, if you just put all your Trust and Belief in Jesus, in His Word, doing just what He says, you will see mirocles and victory in your own soul and life plus, it will spill forth into Jerry's, I guarantee it! It will be upto Jerry whether he takes it on or not but, God won't let him be comfortable around His presence in you without a pull and desire for more being planted in him.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you to all who have replied.

I feel like it has been settled. I am not angry, and I have forgiven the dog owner.

My mother encouraged me to pursue insurance info to get back money for Jerry's brakes, but if we do that, insurance will go after the dog's family, and in my opinion, that young man on the snowmobile has lost enough. He claimed responsibility and I can imagine how terrible he must feel. I am not angry anymore. I just feel grief and sadness for the loss of the dog.

The dog owner would not have known who we were, except when I got to my parents, I called this man and apologized and let him know that we are all very sorry. He must have caller ID, and that is how he knew who I was, and my maiden name, cuz he knew my dad and where he worked. I did tell the dog owner that I wish there was something we could do to help, but he said there really was not. I told my mom this, and she said sometimes I am way too nice, and it can get me into trouble. Now everyone thinks that because I said I wished we could do something, that is why the dog owner is trying to take advantage of us. FYI--the dog owner and the young man are two different people. Father and son.

So, thanks so much for your support.

I think my case here is done, thanks to your advice, all of you.

Rachel72

• Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  313
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

replace the dog!? :b:

If the owners want to replace a family member like if it was a window that broke, they shouldnt have a dog.

No you can not replace a dog, and should not, its a life not a thing.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you for your answers. We were able to have closure on our own with this, and realized this guy was being very ridiculous to even ask. Thanks for your support...

Rachel72