Adonaijah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

John 3:22, "After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized."

John's disciples were upset by Jesus' baptism. (John 3:26). "And they came to John and said to him, 'Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified -- behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!'" John explained that this was what was predetermined.

This was also seen by the Jews. (John 4:1-3). "Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples), He left Judea and departed again to Galilee"

Not only was Messiah baptizing disciples, he baptized more than John, all prior to His death. Because His disciples were baptising, it is safe to assume that they had been baptized in the name of Yah Shua, since it was Messiah who authorized this baptism. Twelve of these early disciples became the apostles.

truster,

Please cite your source.

Thanks,

Fiosh

LAST CHANCE.

What do you mean?

I happened upon this website:

http://www.lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVans.../2004-01-14.htm

and found this:

(it sounds familiar---is this your church?)

Right after telling Nicodemus that no one can enter the kingdom unless they are born of water and the Spirit (John 3:5), we read in John 3:22, "After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized."

John's followers became upset by Jesus' baptism. "And they came to John and said to him, 'Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified -- behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!'" (John 3:26). John explain that this was what was supposed to happen.

The Jews also took note of the baptisms. "Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples), He left Judea and departed again to Galilee" (John 4:1-3).

So not only was Jesus baptizing disciples, he actually baptized more than John, all prior to His death. Since His disciples were performing the baptisms, it is safe to assume that they had been baptized in the name of Jesus, since it was Jesus who authorized this baptism. Twelve of these early disciples became the apostles.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

I might have overlooked the scripture that tells who baptized the apostles, does anyone know the scripture book and verse? Thanks.

I have searched on this before and there is no evidence they were ever baptised with water. At least not in Biblical Record. However they did have an affinity to baptise with water; Peter when the Holy Ghost Baptism fell on Cornelius and his household said they should not forbid water either (water baptism was a Jewish purification rite). Philip and the Eunich, Philip when he went down to that city in Samaria baptised them in water when they believed but Peter and John had to come to lay hands on them for the people to be Baptised in the Holy Ghost.

Now, I have perused most of the posts and I see where a few point to Jesus having done the "water baptism" of His own disciples but;

John 4:1-2 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

I would suppose that by this Scripture which shows Jesus did not baptise (water), it also says His Disciples Baptised and the "who they baptised" is in verse 1; Jesus' disciples. So they baptised each other.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I might have overlooked the scripture that tells who baptized the apostles, does anyone know the scripture book and verse? Thanks.

I have searched on this before and there is no evidence they were ever baptised with water. At least not in Biblical Record. However they did have an affinity to baptise with water; Peter when the Holy Ghost Baptism fell on Cornelius and his household said they should not forbid water either (water baptism was a Jewish purification rite). Philip and the Eunich, Philip when he went down to that city in Samaria baptised them in water when they believed but Peter and John had to come to lay hands on them for the people to be Baptised in the Holy Ghost.

Now, I have perused most of the posts and I see where a few point to Jesus having done the "water baptism" of His own disciples but;

John 4:1-2 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

I would suppose that by this Scripture which shows Jesus did not baptise (water), it also says His Disciples Baptised and the "who they baptised" is in verse 1; Jesus' disciples. So they baptised each other.

Yes, I believe they baptized each other. We do the same today.