Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

In the 1985 book-length interview, "The Ratzinger Report," the future Pope Benedict said, "Limbo was never a defined truth of faith. Personally -- and here I am speaking more as a theologian and not as prefect of the congregation -- I would abandon it, since it was only a theological hypothesis.

"It formed part of a secondary thesis in support of a truth which is absolutely of first significance for faith, namely, the importance of baptism," he said.

While limbo was allowed to disappear from the scene, the future pope said, Pope John Paul's teaching in the "Catechism of the Catholic Church" and the encyclical "The Gospel of Life" took "a decisive turn."

Without theological fanfare, Pope John Paul "expressed the simple hope that God is powerful enough to draw to himself all those who were unable to receive the sacrament," the then-cardinal said.

Father Kelly said turning away from the idea of limbo was part of "the development of the theological virtue of hope" and reflected "a different sense of God, focusing on his infinite love."

(Excerpted) Cindy Wooden, CNS 12-2-05

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

The article I read said it was never and officially held position of the Catholic Church also. From what I understood, it was just the Pope explaining why it was believed by some people, and even this announcement about the change isn't official Church Doctrine, just his agreement with the committee's findings on the subject?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

So, I gather it was some pope's mental meanderings into fairy tale land that people took as gospel truth? If that is so, then the man is guilty of teaching false doctrine, when he has misused the authority given him by man. What else is new?

So, I gather it was some pope's mental meanderings into fairy tale land that people took as gospel truth? If that is so, then the man is guilty of teaching false doctrine, when he has misused the authority given him by man. What else is new?

FA, what? It was NEVER church doctrine according to the article, and its still not, so I don't get what your talking about?

:emot-hug:

FA, what? It was NEVER church doctrine according to the article, and its still not, so I don't get what your talking about?

:emot-hug:

Yes, I see that, but it became doctrine to many, didn't it? I have heard from many in my life who have believed it. Such a statement made by a pope, whom people believe speaks for God has caused damage, don't you think? Just another notion that keeps people from the truth.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/29/1974

The part that bothered me was where it said that even grown ups who werent baptised but lead a good life can go to heaven too!!! That just isnt so. Its has opened a door to a bad place but hey thats par for the course.

There are many notions out there that keep people from the truth, many of them are preached as gospel right on this board, by members from every denom there is. People hearing them would say thats what the whole group believes, without ever finding out if it is the official belief for that group. I'm not Catholic, so this isn't a defending the Catholic faith thing, this is defending what is actually being said in the article, not hearsay or what somebody told me. I grew up hearing all kinda things about Baptist, Catholic's, Methodist...................................come to find out, most of it wasn't true. Came to find out, lots of what I was taught, doesn't exactly line up with scripture either. Still finding my way about that, like you believing in tongues, the church I was raised in says, nope, doesn't happen, well I used to believe that also. Maybe still do, just not sure yet, but I decided there are lots of people on here that I love and admire, I feel they are with their whole hearts trying to spread the gospel, and love the Lord with their whole heart and soul, like you. So I would never tell them I thought they were wrong, no way. As a matter of fact I ask them questions, try to understand and read the scriptures. Will I ever believe in tongues, I have no idea, if it is real and true (which scripture seems to back up) then I pray that some day God will give me the gift if He deems me worthy, but I don't condemn a whole group of people because I don't/didn't believe it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/29/1974

There are many notions out there that keep people from the truth, many of them are preached as gospel right on this board, by members from every denom there is. People hearing them would say thats what the whole group believes, without ever finding out if it is the official belief for that group. I'm not Catholic, so this isn't a defending the Catholic faith thing, this is defending what is actually being said in the article, not hearsay or what somebody told me. I grew up hearing all kinda things about Baptist, Catholic's, Methodist...................................come to find out, most of it wasn't true. Came to find out, lots of what I was taught, doesn't exactly line up with scripture either. Still finding my way about that, like you believing in tongues, the church I was raised in says, nope, doesn't happen, well I used to believe that also. Maybe still do, just not sure yet, but I decided there are lots of people on here that I love and admire, I feel they are with their whole hearts trying to spread the gospel, and love the Lord with their whole heart and soul, like you. So I would never tell them I thought they were wrong, no way. As a matter of fact I ask them questions, try to understand and read the scriptures. Will I ever believe in tongues, I have no idea, if it is real and true (which scripture seems to back up) then I pray that some day God will give me the gift if He deems me worthy, but I don't condemn a whole group of people because I don't/didn't believe it.

Im not condemning a people, just the heresy

No one comes to the Father except thru me....period

Amen, sis! :huh:

My post was only addressing the missed opportunities that people who are given leadership make. They tend to screw people up using their own authority, instead of using the wisdom they are called to. People hang on their very words and look what happens.