• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/04/1971

Hi all. Last week I worked w/ my neighbor at a florist for a few days. The owner would like me to come back and work when they have busy days or as a fill in. I really enjoyed the work and need the $$$. However, there is alot of innappropriate discussion, and innuendo that goes on. My neighbor, who is also a christian, knows this too, but she is the type who just puts up with it because its a job and she also needs the money. I appreciate all she did to help me get this work, but what goes on doesn't sit right with me. I'm not sure how to tell her this either. I tried to last night as she told me he asked if I would go back, and I kind of told her some of the conversation was out of line, but didn't give a direct answer. I also know my hubby wouldn't be too happy if I reufsed to work on those grounds alone. I'm not sure what I should do. Advice?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Christians have God, the Creator of the universe, on their side. There should be a great deal of pride behind that knowledge.

It's the ones who speak wickedness who should be ashamed or embarrassed. Darkness runs from the light. Not the other way around. If your light is shining brightly in front of them, they will feel ashamed and embarrassed to have "innappropriate discussions" in front of you. If you keep your views "silent", you're hiding your light under a bushel and wicked conversation will continue in front of you.

It's normal to get angry at sin conducted in front of you. How you respond to this is what defines your strength as a Christian.

A woman is like a tea bag --- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Well, another part of the problem is the owner is a christian and according to my neighbor is often quoting scripture. He mentioned something to me about it the last day I worked, so it caught me a bit off guard too. But regarding his behavior, he says, This is the way I am and if you can't deal with, don't work here.

Last time I checked, Christians were humans too. If we were perfect there would have been no need for Jesus.

Guest LadyC

whether the owner is truly saved, or just has some abstract knowledge of who Jesus is because he went to sunday school as a child, do you think that perhaps God might be giving you this opportunity not just for your own financial need, but for His glory? what a witness you could be in such an environment!

i can't tell you what to do or not to do. but i can tell you that once you make a decision, if you are at peace with it, it is from God. if you aren't, it isn't. but our tendency is to try and attain that sense of peace one way or another before actually making a decision. (i feel that i can make that assumption based on how similar you and i are in so many ways, and i know that is absolutely true of me!)

so try not to spend too much time analyzing the pros and cons. but consider these things...

we are called to be IN this world but not OF it.

we are called to be the salt of the earth.

we are called to proclaim the gospel, not just through our words, but even more importantly, through our behaviour. our lives should be a living testimony of Christ.

of course there are other things you will need to consider that may have more of an impact... the cons.

do you feel that you might slip?

do you feel that you are not currently strong enough to be a good witness in such an environment?

those aren't meant as accusations, just a sampling of things that may be of concern to you... or maybe there are other concerns you have that i'm unaware of. i just mentioned ones that i would probably have to consider myself.

now... go pray, make a decision, and then pray again. if you've made the wrong decision, God will let you know, because the uneasiness you feel NOW will not go away. and then you can adjust your decision accordingly.

:whistling:

I know that, None. My issue is I am not comfortable being around that sort of thing. I feel that sort of talk is innapropriate, just as I would never go back to work in a bar, even though I was a fab bartender, because I feel that sort of enviroment is not a good witness for a christian.

Edited by LynD

LadyC, thats what I was thinking. Maybe I'm supposed to be there, ya know? You're right, we are alot alike, so I'm sure you'll get it when I say, "But what if I'm wrong??? I might make God mad..... :whistling: " That little nagging voice....questioning our own decisions all the time. It's such a pain.

I know that, None. My issue is I am not comfortable being around that sort of thing. I feel that sort of talk is innapropriate, just as I would never go back to work in a bar, even though I was a fab bartender, because I feel that sort of enviroment is not a good witness for a christian.

Seems you know what you're doing already then. I have faith you'll do the right thing.

:whistling:

Guest LadyC
LadyC, thats what I was thinking. Maybe I'm supposed to be there, ya know? You're right, we are alot alike, so I'm sure you'll get it when I say, "But what if I'm wrong??? I might make God mad..... :laugh: " That little nagging voice....questioning our own decisions all the time. It's such a pain.

LOL you won't make God mad... once you make the decision, if it's the wrong one, like i said He will let you know.... not out of anger at you, just out of love for you! and then you'll make the RIGHT decision and please Him!

but yes, i do know what you mean. i question my self all the time, usually up until the point that i make a decision... but sometimes even afterwards. generally those lingering second-guesses are more about whether my attitude and motivation were right in making the decision i made though. :whistling: