Aleksander

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

So, one must be at peace with his family, people you know and interact with.

What of one's relationship with God?

A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup

What is involed in the process of "examine himself" ?

I think that if you have truly repented, then you are worthy. Basically, if you just ask God to search your heart, and God deems your spiritually worthy to enter into communion with Him, then you are okay....but you have to listen to His spirit, because if you are not, He will let you know.

What you must remember is that Communion is actually a symbolic enactment of part of the ancient bridegroom ceremony. When a man wanted to take a woman as his bride, he would pour wine in a cup, drink from it, and give it to the woman. If the woman drank, then she was basically promising herself to the young man....if she refused, then she was saying no to the union.

Then, if she accepted, the man would say "I will go to prepare a place for you."

This is the way that I understand it, which pretty much sums up whole point behind Communion. We are entering into union with the Lord, as His bridegroom, so "examining oneself" in Communion is actually deeming whether or not you are fit for entering into union with Christ.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Luke 22:17-19

17)After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you.

18)For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

19)And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying,

"This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

"Given for you" has a sacrificial meaning to it then. The wine was symbolic of the cleansing blood and the bread was symbolic of His sacrifice for our sins. So, communion is symbolic of the cleansing process through Jesus which brings us together with God, but we have to be completely ready to accept this Holy symbolistic process with a repentent heart, ready to release all burdens of sin we may be carrying unaware. As well as what we've confessed in preparation.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

Actually, Paul describes the exact nature of the issue in the passage itself:

Now in giving the following instruction I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. For, to begin with, I hear that when you come together as a church there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. There must, indeed, be factions among you, so that the approved among you may be recognized. Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not really to eat the Lord's Supper. For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others, and one person is hungry while another is drunk! Don't you have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you look down on the church of God and embarrass those who have nothing? What should I say to you? Should I praise you? I do not praise you for this! For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: on the night when He was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke it, and said, "This is My body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of Me." In the same way He also took the cup, after supper, and said, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes. Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy way will be guilty of sin against the body and blood of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:17-27 HCSB

When trying to determine the meaning of a passage, I find it most helpful to check the immediate context first to see if it holds the answer to my questions. Ovedya was correct, Paul saw that the Corinthian church was loaded with division, and that they were using the Lords supper, not as an occassion to remember what Jesus had done, but to eat and drink (to the point of getting drunk). They did this while those who were starving in the congregation looked on. Paul instructs them to eat and drink for nourishment and enjoyment at home, but to celebrate Jesus with the Lord's Supper.

:24::24: Way to go, Eric, an excellent point in an excellent post. Once again, :24: .

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/19/1983

Ok, I am still a little unsure... I'll have to read through your post over a few times. But I think I got the idea.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/06/1961

Hi Aleksander,

I like what our Pastor does everytime he observes the Lord's Supper, first he instructs us that the Observance of the Lord's Supper is a Divinely Instituted Ordinance not to be taken lightly and that we need to be honest and examine ourselves and ask God to reveal anything that needs to be placed under the Blood to us before partaking in this Observance.

If there is any question to pray for repentance, He also leads us in a prayer of repentance.

To receive the Lord's Supper is no light matter and the choice to recieve is up to each individual believer, who should at all cost examine themselves completely.

Any doubt should be followed by a Prayer of Repentance and a Subsequent Stand of Faith.

Dug :emot-wave:

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

I hope I have this in the right section of the forum..

1 Corinthians 11:27-32

This something that I have been thinking about lately. Reading the chapter makes me think: How do you know, or can tell, if you are in a worthy state and manner when you take parts in the Lord's Supper?

Cajunboy::::If I may??? Mainly I would be certain that I am in good standing with God and Bible, and that I have nothing to repent prior to receiving the "Body of Christ." Hope this helps?

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

This something that I have been thinking about lately. Reading the chapter makes me think: How do you know, or can tell, if you are in a worthy state and manner when you take parts in the Lord's Supper?

Cajunboy:::Blessings Aleksander, I would hope a Christian realizes when he/she sins. This would be the only way one should not receive the Body of Christ at a given moment. If you suspect that you have, I would recommend that you not partake in the Host of Jesus as not to defile HIM ! But if your sins are menial, I dare say you should take part in the ceremony. God will convict your heart if you are not in right standing with HIS Holy Name. If you hold doubts, it's probably better to abstain from receiving HIS Host. Or at least repenting prior to receiving HIM! If you are young , it can be so much more difficult to determine the seriousness of your sin, particularly in lust or sexual needs. But if it's any consolation, it does get easier for most as you grow older. The temptations should lesson also as you grow nearer to God, but not in all cases. Prayers and praise for you!

Be Blessed

Cajunboy

Guest shiloh357

I completely concur with EricH's post, and would add this point. Paul is not saying that you have to be "worthy" to take the Lord' Supper. What he is talking about out is the manner in which you observe, not the "state" in which you observe it.

Let's be honest... Not one of is, or ever will be "worthy" of taking the Lord's supper because we werenot are not now, and never will be "worthy" of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, which the Lord' supper symbolizes in the first place.

In keeping with the context as EricH pointed out, we are to examine ourselves with respect to the manner in which the symbolic elements are received, that we receive them in a worthy manner. Self-examination will not ever make you "worthy" in the absolute sense, of participating in this ordinance.

How do you know, or can tell, if you are in a worthy state and manner when you take parts in the Lord's Supper?
I completely concur with EricH's post, and would add this point. Paul is not saying that you have to be "worthy" to take the Lord' Supper. What he is talking about out is the manner in which you observe, not the "state" in which you observe it.

Let's be honest... Not one of is, or ever will be "worthy" of taking the Lord's supper because we were not, are not now, and never will be "worthy" of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, which the Lord' supper symbolizes in the first place.

In keeping with the context as EricH pointed out, we are to examine ourselves with respect to the manner in which the symbolic elements are received, that we receive them in a worthy manner. Self-examination will not ever make you "worthy" in the absolute sense, of participating in this ordinance.

:whistling:

And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Revelation 5:8-14

Oh How I Love To See Jesus!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

What makes us unworthy to taking the Lord's Supper is sin that we sit in and/or have not repented of. I.e I can't be taking the Lord's Supper if I am a fornicator, thief, liar, etc. That is why we are told to examine ourselves and to judge ourselves. If we would judge ourselves to see if we are worthy then God would not have to judge us, chastise us, nor be condemned with the world.

1 Corinthians 11:31-32 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

If we eat unworthily then we eat and drink damnation to ourselves.

But the real truth is if we truly judge ourselves as Jesus told us to do, we find that we are "fornicators, thieves, liars, etc" based on the impossible standards he gave us. If we judge ourselves and find that we not really guilty of those sins and consequently believe we are now worthy communicants then I think we have a real problem. If however we are repentant and see ourselves as completely unworthy of the body and blood of Christ, then we are truly the ones for whom this sacrament was created.

sw