Matthew 18

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a question though. . . What if the offended person is an unbeliever. My cousin believes she has been sorely offended by my mother. She is very angry at her. Is there standard in God's word for handling reconciliation in a manner involving a Believer and a non-Believer? It would help if I could give my mother some verses to show her that she should, in fact, approach my cousin, her neice, to make ammends. She does not think she has done anything wrong and does not see the benefit in making things right.

I've always got by on such verses as "Love your enemy, do good to those that spitefully use you," and "repay evil with good." Even when I know I have not been in the wrong, I have apologised for giving offence (and not, I am sorry IF I gave offence, because that doesn't work. It must be, sorry that I GAVE offence.) I try to explain that the offence was not intentional, and try to draw alongside the person and understand why offence was taken, and sincerely apologise. I guess the bottom line is that one has to eat a lot of humble pie that isn't necessarily deserved. But it is the better way.

The other side of the coin is not to be quick to TAKE offence. It is worth remembering that even if offence is OFFERED we do not have to TAKE it. We can choose to drop it.

In Jesus,

Ruth

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist
I've always got by on such verses as "Love your enemy, do good to those that spitefully use you," and "repay evil with good." Even when I know I have not been in the wrong, I have apologised for giving offence (and not, I am sorry IF I gave offence, because that doesn't work. It must be, sorry that I GAVE offence.) I try to explain that the offence was not intentional, and try to draw alongside the person and understand why offence was taken, and sincerely apologise. I guess the bottom line is that one has to eat a lot of humble pie that isn't necessarily deserved. But it is the better way.

The other side of the coin is not to be quick to TAKE offence. It is worth remembering that even if offence is OFFERED we do not have to TAKE it. We can choose to drop it.

In Jesus,

Ruth

Thank you for your wise advise. I have heard the saying, "May all your words be sweet, someday you might have to eat them." :emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

If you're going to send someone a PM pointing out all the flaws you see in that person, make sure you don't have that person blocked, or that you are receiving PM's.

I don't know who your referencing here AK, but it happens alot. Somebody sends you a nasty, hateful PM, but when you try to respond they have you blocked. Talk about cowardly and un-Christian. And you can't go back to a thread and say anything because then they report you and YOU look like the aggressor. They do it that way on purpose, that way they can look all sweetness and light to everybody else..................unless your the one that rec'd the pm. Forward the pm to a Mod and put them on block, why suffer mean spirited, arrogant people. I think they should have their pm'ing and blocking privileges taken away. Maybe if they had to live with the consequences of their actions they would be more careful.

I agree. And how rude to be so sneaky.

If someone has something to say, they should come right out and say it and have a proper discussion about it.

That IS very cowardly.

Guest Biblicist

It is possible that a person would write a rude PM and block the person they sent it to because they never learned to deal with confrontation.

They had something they needed/wanted to say, but they didn't want to be confronted with an answer. I think it would be the equilivant of saying something in person and walking away. Happens all the time in movies, nasty remark. . . huge dramatic exit.

While it may be rude, even childish, it's more likely just lack of proper socialization skills. Some people just think that is the correct way to act since it is routinely practiced in movies.

As we have seen here, though, according to God's Word it is not right to leave an issue unresolved. Resolving arguments between brothers is even more important than worship, according to Jesus Christ.

Blessings all,

Bib

:emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Amen, Bib.

:emot-hug:

Guest Biblicist

Something from my notes on communion not too long ago. . .

We should see ourselves as those who have been forgiven much

~ I could never offend someone more than I have offended the Saviour.