• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

I think they were reported to be a pretty rowdy bunch. That doesn't excuse the false felony charges.

Edited by salos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I think they were reported to be a pretty rowdy bunch. That doesn't excuse the false felony charges.

No, and it shouldn't at all.

Surprise! College kids had a party and there were strippers involved! Although not a from of entertainment that I would put on my top 1,000 things to do, it is quite common in a college community. That is a completely different issue from what really happened, though.

What happened was that some idiot stripper falsely accused some college kids of a serious felony, and in turn, a DA who was up for re-election tried to cater to the Durham community for votes. He pressed forward with the case even when the evidence showed they were innocent, and without even interviewing the chief witness (the accuser in this case, was the state of NC) one time!

Now, following Nifong being disbarred, there remains one issue yet to be resolved: The punishment of the accuser who started it all. After Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton finish paying her college bills and things of that nature, I think she should be brought before the same court and face charges for False Testimony, Perjury, and a host of other things.

Why is her face not plastered all over the news like these three college kids were?

t.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

It was, at one time.

But, you are right, she shouldn't get a free education or any benefit out of this and needs to face justice right now. Those boys almost lost their education because of her, why should she keep hers?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

As a student at a college with a very active social scene, I will say that, while I've heard of students considering hiring strippers, it's hardly common (there is one young man who strips on campus to earn money on the side, but that's more of a joke than anything else). Granted I go to a smaller school, but it's the same story at larger universities where my friends go. Regardless, apparently the players (I'm not speaking of the three indicted men here but those present at the house) did harass the strippers. There was a level of respect that was missing from the whole picture. Note AGAIN - I'm putting this out there as a seperate issue from the legal stuff. Obviously it was a huge miscarriage of justice and I feel awful for the three guys who had to go through it.

Good news, the state or university, I can't remember which one, has agreed to settle with the victims.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Good news, the state or university, I can't remember which one, has agreed to settle with the victims.

Duke University reached a settlement with all three. It's now pretty much over between them and the University.

t.

Duke University reached a settlement with all three. It's now pretty much over between them and the University.

t.

That's great, now they just have issue with the State. I hope they can get a good settlement from that as well.

Guest The Chief

Nope, not illegal here to hire strippers.

Seeing as there was NO definitive evidence linking ANY of the lacrosse players to an assault of any kind against their accuser, I believe these young men may be guilty of VERY poor judgment in attending the "party," but that is about it.

Mike Nifong's financial status has been assessed, and there is no way he can possibly repay what is owed to these young men, let alone the public who trusted him to do his job. The Sheriff confiscated his keys and his credentials yesterday morning at his home, and has been forbidden entry into the courthouse. Well, that's not quite true; I'm sure he will make his appearances when the civil and criminal cases come up. As the defense attorneys pointed out, "I don't think we are done with Mr. Nifong just yet..."

"That's great, now they just have issue with the State. I hope they can get a good settlement from that as well." The State Attorney General, Roy Cooper, pronounced these men "completely innocent." Other than that, this whole mess was conducted within the realm of Durham County. I see no credible reason (other than the legendary "deep pockets") for any redress being sought at the State level, seeing as the state was outside the prosecutorial loop on this one. (The Durham Police Department, on the other hand, is another story).