IGNORED

Should Christians study other religions?

Guest tygra

Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc

• No, it is evil to do so.
    • No because it might harm your faith or lead you astray
    • No, there is just no point in it and it would waste time
    • Maybe, if you are personally curious about it
    • Sure, to understand a non-Christian friend's p.o.v.
    • Yes, it's good to know the faith of those you witness to
    • Yes, just to be educated
    • Some other idea
    • No opinion

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

I agree with those who say that ONLY "mature" Christians MIGHT venture into the area of studying other religions. I say "might" very strongly because that may not be an area the Lord is leading us into, OR it may become moot, once we truly meet Christ and get to know HIM!

I have met many very vocal and intelligence men in my life that are VERY persuasive. Without the Holy Spirit being able to "recall to our minds", the teachings of Jesus Christ, we may find ourselves at a loss to respond to heresies that will crop up by those of other religions. We need to be prayed up, read up and filled up before we are led out into the wilderness. Just ask Jesus!

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  511
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/08/1975

I agree with Blood Stained Soul.

There really is no need to study other religions.

The most effective way for a person to spot a counterfeit $100 bill is to know what the real thing looks like. We should not be worried about what other religions teach and instead, focus our energies on the study of God and His Word. Then, when the time comes, we will be able to witness to a person where they are, with the TRUTH. In love and knowledge.

Amen Blood Stained Soul, and thanks for the story.

~serving Christ by faith

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

The most effective way for a person to spot a counterfeit $100 bill is to know what the real thing looks like. We should not be worried about what other religions teach and instead, focus our energies on the study of God and His Word. Then, when the time comes, we will be able to witness to a person where they are, with the TRUTH. In love and knowledge.

~serving Christ by faith

All Glory be unto Christ! I used to think different but stories like this change you...I was told just today of a survey that said 9 out of ten worldly people say that people who claim to be Christians but use the Worlds devices(smoking, drinking, cussing, music) as ways to stay relevant to the unbelievers etc...that 9 out of 10 said people like that are not Christian and they would not listen to such people talk about the Lord.

YEEEETTTTTT THE CHURCH THINKS THEY NEED TO USE THE WORLDS STUFF TO BRING PEOPLE INTO CHURCH...LIKE CHRISTIAN ARTISTS USING WORLDY SONG IN CONCERTS.."CHRISTIANS DRINKING IN BARS"...

Who is using who here? Seems like the devil is decieving church folk in order to keep his 9 out of 10 in bondage!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  511
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/08/1975

Amen, brother.

Our very lives are supposed to draw out people, or convict them of sin (which is a very good reason worldly people tend to hate Christians so much.....especially those who KNOW the truth because they study it.

I constantly pray that the Lord would use my life to bring Him glory from other people....and keep me low in the meantime.....not puffed up.

I didn't hear about that study, but it doesn't suprise me. What happens when someone is hurt, and hates being addicted to.....say.....drinking, but you can use ANY sin....and he meets someone that says they are a Christian...but they are stooped in the very thing that is oppressing the hurt person!! how can they minister?? What truth do they know? What truth do they live? How effective for Christ are they? How much do they LOVE Him?? What makes that Christian different than anyone else?

I better stop now before I get going on a rampage. Likemindedness, brother....of the same mind. Amen.

~serving Christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Interesting thread! Great responses!

Sagz - it's wonderful to see you posting brother! :laugh: Welcome home! :rolleyes:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

:rolleyes: and that survey was over phone...i know someone who was involved with it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

~serving Christ by faith

Just speaking from experience, what you say isn't really practical when your ministry takes you to an area dominated by another faith. Mine doesn't but I do sometimes encounter a Muslim radical.

Now remember...we are talking about spiritually mature saints grounded in the Word of God with all pieces of the Armor of God in place; NOT a recent born again believer!

I went into the Jail ministry 4 years ago believing that all I needed to do was share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and let His light shine through me. For the most part, I was right. The only glitch though is when I am confronted with a follower of Islam, most will try to convince others that both Christianity and Islam follow the same God looking for some common ground. Of coarse nothing is further from the truth. The god of Islam is not the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob! Why does it matter? I refuse to accept any common ground and therefore must be prepared to explain why rather than just say, "because I say so." You must be prepared to expose a counterfeit so they will at least open their eyes to the Truth. That is the basis of apologetics.

When I evangelize in the jails, I always focus on the Good News of Jesus Christ and rely only on His Word and His Spirit BUT I am prepared to refute any attempt by a Muslim to draw a like comparison. There is NO common ground!

Regardless, it is nothing to argue over. I have studied many different religions and faiths and the obvious weaknesses of each always point to Jesus Christ as the one and only Way, Truth and Life!

Bless you all,

Wayne

Guest Calamity

I think if you are well grounded in God's Word, it could be good to know enough about other beliefs to be able to witness to those in them. They will listen to you better, if you seem to know where they're "coming" from, so to speak. If they think you have no clue as to their beliefs, then, they just suppose you don't know what you're talking about. If you can converse with them, and show them where it doesn't line up with the Bible, then I think it would be useful. If you are only concerned about protecting yourself from false beliefs, then don't learn anything about them, but if you are interested in leading others away from false teachings, I think you need to be a little informed as to what exactly they are following. JMHO.

I was told just today of a survey that said 9 out of ten worldly people say that people who claim to be Christians but use the Worlds devices(smoking, drinking, cussing, music) as ways to stay relevant to the unbelievers etc...that 9 out of 10 said people like that are not Christian and they would not listen to such people talk about the Lord.

Regarding this statement, it is sad when a believer thinks that he must dim his light (or his salt loses its saltiness) in order to reach the lost. That just doesn't make sense...not at all! I minister to drug addicts, thieves and murderers. I do not have to become an addict, thief or murderer to be listened to.

It is sad that many Christians claim they have to "get down on someone's level" (in regards to behavior) to be effective. What they miss is this --- it isn't them that is doing the work! It is the Holy Spirit working through them if they are obedient and following God's will. That is why Jesus told His disciples to stay in Jerusalem and wait on the Holy Spirit [Acts 1].

It is God's work, not ours!

Blessings on all,

Wayne

I think if you are well grounded in God's Word, it could be good to know enough about other beliefs to be able to witness to those in them. They will listen to you better, if you seem to know where they're "coming" from, so to speak. If they think you have no clue as to their beliefs, then, they just suppose you don't know what you're talking about. If you can converse with them, and show them where it doesn't line up with the Bible, then I think it would be useful. If you are only concerned about protecting yourself from false beliefs, then don't learn anything about them, but if you are interested in leading others away from false teachings, I think you need to be a little informed as to what exactly they are following. JMHO.

:laugh::rolleyes: My point exactly.