• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Hey Butero, here's the thread I was telling you about!

Thanks for the info Butero!

I don't mind being away from home. Home is a one room studio in an apartment building that's got some problems, so I have no issue with throwing all into a storage room, getting rid of the place, and hitting the road. No family to speak of (in the U.S.) so there's really no where for me to go "home" to at this point. I've been in this area for going on 12 years and I'm sick of the hand-to-mouth existence. I also miss the travel.

This has been on my mind for some time, but I ran into a couple of issues in the post 9/11 world. I spent 20 years in the Air Force, started out in air refueling, then into mechanic with a side order of supply (logistics.) I spent much of my AF career bouncing around from one temporary duty assignment to another, so I was used to a lot of travel. In fact, one year I spent about 215 days gone from my base in Louisiana, and that was before the first Gulf War.

One of my questions concerning this was about maintaining your walk with the Lord. Spending so much time on the road would seem to me that (if I was driving solo), there wouldn't be a lot of time for fellowship. When it comes down to it, though, I'm already dealing with that sort of thing an surviving so far. God doesn't ask us to do something He won't equip us for!

I'll toss the rest in a PM.................. :24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear walla,

The ministry I mentioned has chapels and fellowship all across the country at different truckstops. They also provide CD's and tapes at each of these chapels, for you to take (free of charge) so that you can be ministered to on the road. If you kept the link I sent, you can request a booklet, or if you'd like, I can mail you a newsletter and booklet that tells where each of the chapels are across the country.

(Although, I might add that regardless of what church you go into, you don't know anything about the man behind the pulpit, so you need to hold the message up against Scripture so that you'll know if you're hearing a right message.) It can be dangerous when you don't get to know who is in the pulpit. Especially in these days and times.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/04/1953

;) I just wanted to drop in and say hi. I was a cross country trucker for a few years and I loved it. Not everybody is cut out for it. I was a single driver and stayed on the road most of the time. It was good money and I loved the travel but missed my kids and grandkids. Now I'm home doing the grandma thing! There are a lot of trucker chapels out there at the truck stops. Some truck stops have bulletin boards with notices of churches that will come and get you and take you to their services. I always started praying for a place to go to services on Friday night and God made sure I was in the right place at the right time on Sunday. :)

Use your CB radio out there to contact other drivers on the road. Don't be shy. Their are christian truckers out there you just have to make the effort to contact them. :cool::thumbsup:

God grant you safety as you travel.

Dear walla,

The ministry I mentioned has chapels and fellowship all across the country at different truckstops. They also provide CD's and tapes at each of these chapels, for you to take (free of charge) so that you can be ministered to on the road. If you kept the link I sent, you can request a booklet, or if you'd like, I can mail you a newsletter and booklet that tells where each of the chapels are across the country.

(Although, I might add that regardless of what church you go into, you don't know anything about the man behind the pulpit, so you need to hold the message up against Scripture so that you'll know if you're hearing a right message.) It can be dangerous when you don't get to know who is in the pulpit. Especially in these days and times.

In His Love,

Suzanne

I've got the site book marked. I started a new folder just for this type of thing since there's a LOT info to sort out about training options, etc. I agree about being careful when you don't know who's in the pulpit. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but it seems like there are so many preachers now that aren't preaching the truth. I don't understand that, but Jesus did warn us about the deception getting bad in the last days. "Signs of the times," I guess.

One of the good things with modern technology: XM Radio, Data capable cell phones, and laptop computers! There are ways to stay "connected" while on the road that didn't exist until recently. Starting out I'll still have the Bible and prayer. Everything else will come in its time.

:cool: I just wanted to drop in and say hi. I was a cross country trucker for a few years and I loved it. Not everybody is cut out for it. I was a single driver and stayed on the road most of the time. It was good money and I loved the travel but missed my kids and grandkids. Now I'm home doing the grandma thing! There are a lot of trucker chapels out there at the truck stops. Some truck stops have bulletin boards with notices of churches that will come and get you and take you to their services. I always started praying for a place to go to services on Friday night and God made sure I was in the right place at the right time on Sunday. :cool:

Use your CB radio out there to contact other drivers on the road. Don't be shy. Their are christian truckers out there you just have to make the effort to contact them. :):thumbsup:

God grant you safety as you travel.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm single, so staying on the road isn't going to be a problem. I'll have to get rid of the apartment before I leave for training anyway. Day off? Hotel rooms can be "home" for a bit. Did that in the military, so its rather like an old friend in some ways. CB radios -- I'd almost forgotten about those. (Haven't had a car since 2002, longer for the CB.) Last one I had would put out about 130 watts on sideband if I cranked it up -- but I wasn't with the Lord then. :cool:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

It could be a great ministry oppurtunity for you if you are sure the Lord is leading you in that direction. My mother is a truck driver, and she has had partners, (where they generally make more money),and she has been solo. She has been with two different companies, and becomes discouraged alot. But, she is not a believer. If you have a local church that you already attend, then you could request copies of the sermons. If they don't offer that, I could send you a copy from my church. on a bi-weekly basis. Pm me if you like. Get the bible on tape. Being alone, could be time to spend with the Lord. Just imagine the 8 hour drive of just praise and prayer!. Fellowship is a must, and the Lord will give you favor to find places of worship. One trucker missionary from our church holds meetings in the break room of some truck stops. there are chapels at some stops. You could always drop your trailer if you are on break (if allowed), and bobtail (i think that is the term) to a nearby church. GOd will make a way, if it is his will. He will give you confirmation. It can drain you emotionally, and physically. Truck drivers in my mind are not appreciated as they should be. IT is a huge mission field. Believe me I have heard some of the conversations on my mom's CB!

It could be a great ministry oppurtunity for you if you are sure the Lord is leading you in that direction. My mother is a truck driver, and she has had partners, (where they generally make more money),and she has been solo. She has been with two different companies, and becomes discouraged alot. But, she is not a believer. If you have a local church that you already attend, then you could request copies of the sermons. If they don't offer that, I could send you a copy from my church. on a bi-weekly basis. Pm me if you like. Get the bible on tape. Being alone, could be time to spend with the Lord. Just imagine the 8 hour drive of just praise and prayer!. Fellowship is a must, and the Lord will give you favor to find places of worship. One trucker missionary from our church holds meetings in the break room of some truck stops. there are chapels at some stops. You could always drop your trailer if you are on break (if allowed), and bobtail (i think that is the term) to a nearby church. GOd will make a way, if it is his will. He will give you confirmation. It can drain you emotionally, and physically. Truck drivers in my mind are not appreciated as they should be. IT is a huge mission field. Believe me I have heard some of the conversations on my mom's CB!

Thanks for that. I'm still praying about whether the Lord wants me to go in this direction or not. This isn't something I'd want to do without being certain about where the Lord wants you.

I've mentioned to others that my life right now is rather like being a driver any way. I'm working 3rd shift, which can really screw up your social life, and getting to church can be a challenge - especially when I have to balance that against NOT staying up for 26 or more hours straight. I dealt with stuff like this in the military, though, so its not that big of a deal. I believe the Lord understands that some jobs can get in the way of going to church -- like when I had weekend duty in the service. Didn't have a lot of choice there.

I'm just glad for things like the internet, laptops, wireless high-speed connections, etc. Lets me have more fellowship than I can face-to-face right now. Laptops can work out of the back of a tractor too. :whistling: