• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

There are a couple of decent books out there. Havn't found a good website though. You do need to think like a dog and make sure you are not reinforcing bad behavior. If she goes crazy when you come home, and you reward that by petting her, using the happy voice. Guess what, you've given the all Ok signal. Ignore her when she goes crazy. The food thing can be the same thing, however, we have a 6 month old pure bred, and our friend gave us some dog food (they have an older dog). We just threw that in the can with the puppy stuff and found that he would puke at night if we got him excited. Threw all the old man dog food out and no problems. However, be real careful about table scraps. Our dog gets anything and he'll hurl.

The rolling over is submissive behavior. Our dog would yip at night after I took him out, and nothing would stop him. Naturally I'd get up and go over to his pen in the other room, and give him the alpha male treatment--roll him on his back, hand on the chest, and a firm NO! worked like a charm. But often, that's how he greets me. So I immediately stop petting, tell him to sit, and start to praise. If he gives the submissive pose, I stop, tell him to sit, and begin again. Starting to work----.

About walking, yup, gotta do that. Its not about peeing and pooping, its how he dog explores, interacts with the world, and gets stimulation. That also might help the chewing--often a sign of boredom.

Reinforcing bad behavior..hmmm you may be on to something there. She know that she gets attention when we get home, so ignoring her until she calms may just work.

But what about the play time over excitement?

Spaz pukes even when her tummy is empty. She gags up spit. ewww. So it's NOT the food but the nervous stomach.

Spaz gets LOTS of interaction with the world. She goes with us practically everywhere. She chases birds armadillos and rabbits in the yard all the time. Very active dog, even if she is older.

She's not bored, we have things for her to do when we are gone.

She has peanut butter filled balls etc.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little dogs are more hyper. Going outside to play, on their own, is not exercise. Dogs do not exercise themselves, sometimes they will play with other dogs but that's not always a guarantee either.

Walking is the only way to help a dog release their agression and anxiety. It's in their DNA to walk, no matter the breed or size. I'd say start walking her, 20 minutes a day. Do not let her go out the door ahead of you and do not let her walk in front of you. She is your friend, she should walk next to you. Feed her after the walk.

By the way, ALL dogs eat cat poo. It's instinct. The only way you can stop them, don't let them get it. My dog even taught himself how to open the door to the cats room so he could dine on the delicacies. Humans don't understand, it's a dog thing. :emot-highfive:

Most little dogs do not like to be yelled at. Do you know what breed she is? Your problems with her are quite common. Don't worry she is not Hyperactive and A.D.D. she is a little dog. She is normal.

Remember this, Exercise, Discipline, Affection. Too much of one is not balanced.

Doc Julie (vet) said she looks like a terrier, spaniel mix. Just a mutt, really.

We dont get yogurt ice cream every day. It's just a treat sometimes when we go to the vet. We call dog bones, cookies so we arent giving her real sugar cookies.

We do go for walk, and we get plenty of play time.

Great suggestions so far.

THe dairy queen gives her pup cup. (small dish of vanilla soft serve yogurt)
:emot-highfive:

I Didn't Know Yogurt And Tofu Were People Food?

:thumbsup:

Awww, c'mon!

Other dogs gnaw on cat poop too?

EWWWWWWWWWWWW

Another annoying thing she does.

She gets a mouthful of dog food and then drops it about 2 feet from her dish and slowly eats each piece.

Then she goes back to the bowl and repeats the process.

Now why would a dog do that? Why not eat out of the bowl? She already has it in her mouth.

Guest Biblicist
Reinforcing bad behavior..hmmm you may be on to something there. She know that she gets attention when we get home, so ignoring her until she calms may just work.

But what about the play time over excitement?

Spaz pukes even when her tummy is empty. She gags up spit. ewww. So it's NOT the food but the nervous stomach.

Spaz gets LOTS of interaction with the world. She goes with us practically everywhere. She chases birds armadillos and rabbits in the yard all the time. Very active dog, even if she is older.

She's not bored, we have things for her to do when we are gone.

She has peanut butter filled balls etc.

All the things you said, the hyperactivity, the puking/nervous stomach, the chewing, all tell me one thing, she's bored and anxious. She needs to get OUTSIDE with her pack [YOU] and walk. Dog's don't live within four walls, they don't live in cars, they live outside. They need to walk. It's all I can tell you.

Paris Hilton had a little dog that was doing much the same thing your dog is doing. Know what the dog needed? A walk. She never took that little dog out of his bag and let him walk on his own. Once she started walking him, his problems cleared up.

Since she's been doing this for a while, it will take a while to get rid of the problems but once you have a daily routine with her, she will become a different dog.

Try the walk, you may be surprised at the results after only one time. It is nothing like riding in the car and chewing toys while you are away. Do you leave her loose in the house when you are gone?

Well, she does chase fish in the koi pond. Maybe there is bacteria or something in the water.

Guest Biblicist
Another annoying thing she does.

She gets a mouthful of dog food and then drops it about 2 feet from her dish and slowly eats each piece.

Then she goes back to the bowl and repeats the process.

Now why would a dog do that? Why not eat out of the bowl? She already has it in her mouth.

:24: My sister's dog does the same thing. Who can know the mind of a dog? :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

She knows that she has to wear her seat belt in the car tho.

Everyone at the bank knows her and gives her a cookie.

THe dairy queen gives her pup cup. (small dish of vanilla soft serve yogurt)

you are going to try and break a 8 year old habit? :b: Okay if she is told to sit, and you bring down your hand slowly to right in front of her face and say stay can will she obey the command?. The command for down when jumping is you hover your arm over her. since she cowers probably with this command see if you can get a clicker . But get some real good treats. as for being left home alone, animals do not have the same feel of time.... I have two dogs. my shepherd mix, may last another year.she is already 11 yrs and a shitz shu who is two., ( cats, turtles, hamster,bird, my rooster just died and fish) I live off of a main road, four lanes, have no fence.. They only go near the road if I walk up to get the mail and when they wait with my daughter for her school bus. Although spirit the shitz shu will try to get on the bus...the rooster as well My roosters name was tango. Spaz will also react to your emotion. Talk to her on her level at the floor if she does not use you as her private playground. not with any one else around. She picks up all persons emotions. As for the kitty litter, I had a problem with holly the sheperd and I kept changing kitty litter until I foun one she did like smell. She also was found on the street. If she is a tiny dog I believe they have a tendency to tinkle when they are excited and they have a small bladder. But I am sure she has been do a doctor to make sure she is fine. until bibs get to answer you I hope this helps. excuse me but when I sneeze.... :24::24::24:

Edited by patricia1